NCAA Closes "loophole" used by Oregon: New rules interpretation

Advertisement
Why can't they just implement the NFL rule? 12-men on defense with the snap imminent is a dead ball foul, similar to 12 men breaking the huddle on offense.

Guess that would be too easy.

Why can't they just implement the NFL rule? 12-men on defense with the snap imminent is a dead ball foul, similar to 12 men breaking the huddle on offense.

Guess that would be too easy.
The NFL allows you to snap the ball with 12 guys on the field if they are trying to run off too, It gives the offense a free play. Not really sure how this is much different. The only negative is if the refs mishandle a guy running off the field. But even then the player isn't affecting the play cause he is runnning off the field. So it's 11v11 and the offense gets a free play still. It's their job not to be idiots.

The problem before was the defense could play the entire play with 12 or more men, and the offense would get the free play but they would be at a disadvantage on the actual play itself therefore wouldn't benefit from it being a free play and would almost certainly NEED to take the penalty and waste time. If the defense is playing with no advantage because the player is trying to get off the field, then I don't see the problem. This rule change fixes the issue imo. It's actually even better for the offense than the NFL rule, because they still get to run the free play which even at a disadvantage COULD result in a big play still.

I don't think there should be any circumstance where an accepted penalty caused by the defense doesn't reset the game clock to the prior time.

Advertisement
So if you run the Polish defense, you get pegged for the 5yds and the team can opt to take the time on the clock AFTER trying to get a free play? Ok.

But if you “inadvertently” have 12, the 5yd penalty applies and the clock isn’t adjusted. Ok.

What’s keeping you from showing 12 (3 safeties deep) and then have the guy closest to the boundary dip before the snap? Show it and then run off! You still burn the time and it’s STILL only 5yds.
Exactly...this literally changes nothing, just requires the coaches to be a little more subtle than Lanning was

Exactly...this literally changes nothing, just requires the coaches to be a little more subtle than Lanning was
I oddly know an NCAA ref and I asked him about this prior to the rule change and called him after I saw this and he said they were also being told to judge essentially by the numbers or the offensive player closest to the sideline to determine if the 12th man is "involved in the play" so I think the way they will call it is if the 12th man is outside the numbers or outside the furthest WR and thus **** close to the sideline, he will have been determined to not be involved in the play, however if he is inside the numbers or that WR, then he is involved.

I'm gonna start faking injuries on my way to the concession stand to get that referee's timeout.

#PulledAHammyGettingAHammySammich
I am curious as to the quick move to eliminate the 12 th man to run clock, and the penalty consequences..................but have they done ANYTHING on the fake injuries that so many teams have perfected.........

How about time back on the clock ....

calling this act as an official time out..........or

taking the offending player out of the next series of downs........or better yet

official review of the previous play by the offending player, and in the eyes of the officials if there is no recognizable injury taking the player out of the next 10 plays.......or

if offended twice that faking player would be out for ........... one quarter......

or even the ultimate egregious player........... is out for the half. Occurring in the last 15 minutes of a game that fake player is out of the ball game.

With the 12 team CFP they better get ready, because with the right shenanigans a team may lose or win if playing this "fake game" at some time in a game..........

Fans are watching this "fakery" happen and reacting vociferously........

I oddly know an NCAA ref and I asked him about this prior to the rule change and called him after I saw this and he said they were also being told to judge essentially by the numbers or the offensive player closest to the sideline to determine if the 12th man is "involved in the play" so I think the way they will call it is if the 12th man is outside the numbers or outside the furthest WR and thus **** close to the sideline, he will have been determined to not be involved in the play, however if he is inside the numbers or that WR, then he is involved.

Makes sense.

But, ****, we got a penalty when we had a heavy DL huffing and puffing to get off the field and he got within a yard or two of the sideline. Given the way that the refs stand over the ball for substitutions, it's becoming very hard to figure out when you will be busted for this stuff.

Advertisement
I am curious as to the quick move to eliminate the 12 th man to run clock, and the penalty consequences..................but have they done ANYTHING on the fake injuries that so many teams have perfected.........

How about time back on the clock ....

calling this act as an official time out..........or

taking the offending player out of the next series of downs........or better yet

official review of the previous play by the offending player, and in the eyes of the officials if there is no recognizable injury taking the player out of the next 10 plays.......or

if offended twice that faking player would be out for ........... one quarter......

or even the ultimate egregious player........... is out for the half. Occurring in the last 15 minutes of a game that fake player is out of the ball game.

With the 12 team CFP they better get ready, because with the right shenanigans a team may lose or win if playing this "fake game" at some time in a game..........

Fans are watching this "fakery" happen and reacting vociferously........

Couple of possibilities:

1. Player injured, slow to get off field (some clock stoppage, but no major assistance), leaves under own power - 1 play missed
2. Player falls down, any coaches/medical types run out to the field, player leaves under own power - 3 plays missed, must report to ref
3. Player falls down, coach/medical assistance, player assisted in leaving the field - 5 plays missed, must report to ref

Soccer has done something similar, if a player has to be assisted on the field, he has to remain on the sidelines until the ref waves him back into the match. Because "time" is involved rather than "plays", this is very subjective and minimal, but it has a bit of impact on the game.

****ed me off when some of the Cal fans claimed we were "booing" injured players. We weren't, we were just booing the fakery.

Makes sense.

But, ****, we got a penalty when we had a heavy DL huffing and puffing to get off the field and he got within a yard or two of the sideline. Given the way that the refs stand over the ball for substitutions, it's becoming very hard to figure out when you will be busted for this stuff.
Agreed and I also talked to a HS ref that used to coach CFB and he said at the HS level they are taught to try to NOT call as many penalties like NCAA and NFL. Like for the 12th man thing, if they see someone hauling *** off the field, the HS level the sideline ref will take a few steps forward so the player is behind them but prob not yet out of bounds and not call the penalty because they clearly had no impact on the play. I think the new rule cited above was trying to carve that out when like you said we got called for a yard or two from the sideline. Still 12 men, still a penalty, but you dont get to reset the clock. So with the new unwritten interpretation, a yard or 2 from the sideline likely not a clock stoppage penalty, outside the #s when there is no WR, not a clock stoppage penalty, outside the WR who is beyond the numbers, not a clock stoppage penalty, Inverse of the last 3 scenarios, clock stoppage penalty whether there was intent or not they are technically within the globe of play was the phrase I heard even if they do not participate or impact the play they are still involved.

Yet guys have been faking injuries to stop no huddle teams for how many years now?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back