My biggest worry offensively

I don't think it's any single position - including QB - that we have to worry about. I think we have enough talent across the board at all offensive positions to play with anyone on our schedule. I know installation is a part of Spring/Fall camps, but from the videos - I'm seeing us work a lot of "on air" sessions trying to work on motions and timing of routes. That will pay off in the long run, and it has to be done, but my worry is we're seeing the difference between installing Richt's offense and installing Enos' offense.

Let me qualify this worry by saying again - Enos' offense when fully installed and properly executed will be MUCH better than what Richt was trying to do.

However, what does this mean for 8/24? Will our offense be operating at a high enough level with enough proficiency for the plays we want to run against UF? Will we see timing issues, positioning issues, guys late on routes/QBs late delivering the football? To take it a few steps further, will this make whoever the QB ends up being 8/24 look worse than what his ceiling actually is in this offense - and will any negative results perpetuate the QB battle as the season goes on?

We've already heard of guys making nice throws/catches in one-on-one sessions, but certain guys struggling in 7v7/11v11 sessions. I have to think this isn't a function of talent or ability, but more getting comfortable with all of the nuances that go into running what Enos wants to run.

If we see the offense take several steps forward as the QB battle winds down in camp, then I'll feel better about it. If we don't see that in videos or hear/read that in reports as 8/24 approaches, then I think we'll be seeing the effects of trying to get comfortable in this new offensive system. This isn't a negative against Enos or his system, it's just reality that it takes time and more reps to get really good at running it no matter who the personnel is. Term it "growing pains" if you want.
Its all about penalties. Come 8-24 if Miami can play a clean game no turnovers no drive killing penalties Miami has a great chance to win. If the offense stops itself Miami cannot win. These early openers one team always seems better prepared. If Miami has too many penalties they simply will not beat Florida.

Advertisement
I wouldn't worry about this - here's some notes from the SOTU site today. Sounds like the guys know what is going on in the playbook:

As we get further into camp, you can see that Miami is starting to dive deeper into their offensive planning. Today, I saw shifts and formations that I had not seen before. Both Will Mallory and Brevin Jordan were lined up next to each other and motioned at the same time while Brian Hightower motioned in from the outside. It was a very unique formation.

Like going from being led by this....

800px-Diorama,_cavemen_-_National_Museum_of_Mongolian_History.jpg

to being led by this....

albert_e.png

Automatic ban for anyone stirring up **** after game one of a new offense against a solid opponent. Shaking my **** head at just the thought of people doing that.
I tend to agree, but have you met our fanbase? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I won't be the one to do that for sure, but does it become a perpetual mopery machine with people saying (for example) "Tate couldn't get us in and out of the huddle and our guys lined up right against UF" or "Kosi missed throws behind receivers against UF" or "Against UF, Jarren just couldn't get his cadence right to time up with our motions and hurt us with false start penalties"..........and then that continues in perpetuity as the season rolls on.

I'll say this - I hope it's ONE guy. I don't want musical chairs at the QB position. Ride with one of them, let them take their lumps as everyone grows into the offense.

All of that being said - it's not my biggest concern as far as who is the QB. It's how well (or not) the whole offense grows into the system as the season progresses.

I wouldn't worry about this - here's some notes from the SOTU site today. Sounds like the guys know what is going on in the playbook:

As we get further into camp, you can see that Miami is starting to dive deeper into their offensive planning. Today, I saw shifts and formations that I had not seen before. Both Will Mallory and Brevin Jordan were lined up next to each other and motioned at the same time while Brian Hightower motioned in from the outside. It was a very unique formation.
Good info. I hope we're taking to it all like ducks to water, and executing at a high enough level to beat the Gator.

Advertisement
My only concern is the OL. If they perform the rest of the offense will fall into place. If they pass pro, the QBs will have time and should make good throws. If they block and open holes, the RBs are more than enough talented to get theirs. We have talent everywhere. We just need the OL to perform at a high level.

Automatic ban for anyone stirring up **** after game one of a new offense against a solid opponent. Shaking my **** head at just the thought of people doing that.
Did you say "solid opponent", lol? Dude, we're playing UF, remember? ****, this isn't even going to be a game. First, our D will suffocate them completely. Second, with our skill position players on offense, our coaching and the number of snaps we'll get, we're going to be more than fine. The O line issues are a wash for both sides. It doesn't matter who we have as our QB.

I don't think it's any single position - including QB - that we have to worry about. I think we have enough talent across the board at all offensive positions to play with anyone on our schedule. I know installation is a part of Spring/Fall camps, but from the videos - I'm seeing us work a lot of "on air" sessions trying to work on motions and timing of routes. That will pay off in the long run, and it has to be done, but my worry is we're seeing the difference between installing Richt's offense and installing Enos' offense.

Let me qualify this worry by saying again - Enos' offense when fully installed and properly executed will be MUCH better than what Richt was trying to do.

However, what does this mean for 8/24? Will our offense be operating at a high enough level with enough proficiency for the plays we want to run against UF? Will we see timing issues, positioning issues, guys late on routes/QBs late delivering the football? To take it a few steps further, will this make whoever the QB ends up being 8/24 look worse than what his ceiling actually is in this offense - and will any negative results perpetuate the QB battle as the season goes on?

We've already heard of guys making nice throws/catches in one-on-one sessions, but certain guys struggling in 7v7/11v11 sessions. I have to think this isn't a function of talent or ability, but more getting comfortable with all of the nuances that go into running what Enos wants to run.

If we see the offense take several steps forward as the QB battle winds down in camp, then I'll feel better about it. If we don't see that in videos or hear/read that in reports as 8/24 approaches, then I think we'll be seeing the effects of trying to get comfortable in this new offensive system. This isn't a negative against Enos or his system, it's just reality that it takes time and more reps to get really good at running it no matter who the personnel is. Term it "growing pains" if you want.
Legitimate concerns. I'd assume Enos will only install what the team can handle and add to the playbook as the season progresses. Remember that Enos is just meeting these players and coaching isn't just X's and O's but is geared to your team. I believe he will add each and every game depending on how we perform and what the team can handle. Some of our less talented players might be handling the input better then some of our most talented and as the talented ones catch up we will be a much better team when we face Clemson then when we face the gator. Our season is to win the ACC and see where we end up in the rankings and the gator is a good starting point. I believe we beat them on talent and would be favored against them by the end of the year. We'll go up as the gator drops, they do not have the talent other SEC teams have.

Advertisement
This is why people have to understand that media reports are only reporting on a small portion of practice.

The media gets 15-20min of viewing portion of practice, they're not seeing every aspect of the offensive installs.

Also, the whole point of practice is to work on the plays to the point where you master it. I don't get why fans think every single player & every single play is going to be run perfectly every single day, that's why it's called practice, you have to practice it until you get it right lol

Fan anxiety at this point in normal. Coaches diagnose, repair, evaluate, adjust. Fans observe, react, call for heads to roll. Not saying OP is guilty of the latter, he has legit points. However, we should take great comfort in knowing we have coaches who know what they are doing - at least when it comes to their positional pasts. I am not worried at this point as I am one juror who is still out, but positive.

This is why people have to understand that media reports are only reporting on a small portion of practice.

The media gets 15-20min of viewing portion of practice, they're not seeing every aspect of the offensive installs.

Also, the whole point of practice is to work on the plays to the point where you master it. I don't get why fans think every single player & every single play is going to be run perfectly every single day, that's why it's called practice, you have to practice it until you get it right lol
I was busy posting, while you made my point even better!

Fan anxiety at this point in normal. Coaches diagnose, repair, evaluate, adjust. Fans observe, react, call for heads to roll. Not saying OP is guilty of the latter, he has legit points. However, we should take great comfort in knowing we have coaches who know what they are doing - at least when it comes to their positional pasts. I am not worried at this point as I am one juror who is still out, but positive.
I hear what you and Liberty City El are saying, and I tend to agree. It's not even a thing about trusting the coaches to get the install right - I have to trust them there, they know better than I do. The kind of nuanced concern I have is just getting to a high enough execution level offensively so we can run train on the Gator come 8/24.

I don't think we'll be out there with our thumbs up our collective asses unable to run a play...I'm more concerned with timing and knowing the plays well enough to play fast enough and mistake-free enough to win.

Advertisement
I worry the that Offense will score too many points, too quickly and the Defense will be forced to stay on the field too long.

I worry the that Offense will score too many points, too quickly and the Defense will be forced to stay on the field too long.
I hear you. With three talented RB’s on tab, an OL tutored by Stroudt, we should have at least, a decent running game to eat the clock. I have reservations regarding “too many points, too quickly” as Enos is a balanced offense kind of a guy. I also don’t think we have a gun slinger at the QB position, unless the opponents make it easy. My two pennies.

I hear what you and Liberty City El are saying, and I tend to agree. It's not even a thing about trusting the coaches to get the install right - I have to trust them there, they know better than I do. The kind of nuanced concern I have is just getting to a high enough execution level offensively so we can run train on the Gator come 8/24.

I don't think we'll be out there with our thumbs up our collective asses unable to run a play...I'm more concerned with timing and knowing the plays well enough to play fast enough and mistake-free enough to win.
That’s what the last two weeks with a declared starting QB will address, besides game planning. In the end, we got what we got, with the personnel we have at this point.

Advertisement
I agree with OP we have the talent on O that's not the issue here, we just installed a whole new offense it takes a while to get things going, it doesnt help that the first game is against Florida, just being real they are more established than we are on offense, but I still believe we can go out there and win this game, we just have to figure some **** out fast, I say we use our TE's as our identity and work from there, running game will be very very very important in this game.

I hear you. With three talented RB’s on tab, an OL tutored by Stroudt, we should have at least, a decent running game to eat the clock. I have reservations regarding “too many points, too quickly” as Enos is a balanced offense kind of a guy. I also don’t think we have a gun slinger at the QB position, unless the opponents make it easy. My two pennies.
I was kidding. and we would be just fine if we were scoring points left and right. That would mean that we are winning games and Manny is running up the score. one small corretion (Barry is tutoring the OL) Stroudt on the DL.

It can't be said enough how limited our offense was last season. There were some games where we ran 6 to 8 plays, with little details like horrible spacing and no real check-downs escaping us due to either bad concepts or just poor, lazy design. It won't take much to move this offense significantly forward and put together a respectable game plan for 8/24 that P5 conference players can handle. I am talking about 20 to 25 plays we can master and execute well. Expand the playbook the rest of the season.

Advertisement
Back