Michael Gilmore to Miami

Advertisement
3.2 PPG, 2.8 RPG, 47.4% from the floor, 52.9% FT,but looks to be a big man who likes to spread the floor with 38.2% from 3.

Not a big pickup, but probably fills that Ivan Cruz-Uceda role.

Advertisement
Makes little sense. Must sit out and didn't stand out at VCU.

Let's just say it shouldn't get you wet.

+ 1

There is no other way to look at this prospect. He wasn't a stand out, he isn't eligible now and if we wanted kids that had to sit out, we could have done much better.

We would be better off getting a Joe Thomas type. At least the kid would be gone after one season and is eligible right away.

Advertisement

+ 1

There is no other way to look at this prospect. He wasn't a stand out, he isn't eligible now and if we wanted kids that had to sit out, we could have done much better.

We would be better off getting a Joe Thomas type. At least the kid would be gone after one season and is eligible right away.

Sigh....

As usual, Coach L knows a lot more about basketball than you.

Numbers don't tell the whole story with Gilmore. He was a 4*, top-75 HS prospect who started most of the year for VCU, an NCAA tourney team.

He was a bad fit in their system, but he has the tools to be a very good player here. He's 6'10", athletic, with a good outside shot (38% from 3 for a true soph big man is very good), and with a year of development he will be a solid piece in 17-18.

But he's not Ben Simmons, or some grad transfer all-star PG, so I'm SHOCKED your disappointed

+ 1

Sigh....

Numbers don't tell the whole story with Gilmore. He was a 4*, top-75 HS prospect who started most of the year for VCU, an NCAA tourney team.

He was a bad fit in their system, but he has the tools to be a very good player here. He's 6'10", athletic, with a good outside shot (38% from 3 for a true soph big man is very good), and with a year of development he will be a solid piece in 17-18.

But he's not Ben Simmons, or some grad transfer all-star PG, so I'm SHOCKED your disappointed

Going to lose Kamari Murphy after next year too.

+ 1

Sigh....

Wow, "your" shocked I'm disappointed.

Did you read my post? Seriously. This is not a quality transfer in the sense that his record, meaning his actual performance at the college level, was sub-par and nothing of relevance. That is why he was choosing between Valpo, FGCU and Tulane. I wonder why Shaka Smart didn't come calling again since he was available. Surely Shaka must know something, oh right "he was a bad fit."

He was a 4 star, great. HS ended long ago and we all know the rankings are known to make errors and be imperfect. I wonder why none of those same relevant schools, who originally recruited him, came calling. They probably saw what he can do at the college level and were unimpressed. Also, when "you're" blowing a player with a sub-par college record, make sure you sell his HS accomplishments, which were over 2 years ago, because the actual record is...

Great Ben Simmons argument, wow "you're" a ***ing potato. I love this argument because nobody but a potato would attempt to make it. Yes, he isn't Ben Simmons and we only take Ben Simmons transfers. Looking at our last 4 (coming in), Muhammad, Angel, Sheldon and Murphy were not Ben Simmons either. Yet they all had pretty good stats and/or played a lot of burn. They showed a lot of potential at another program based on the actual record. Nobody shot them down because the actual record was pretty good. This is not the case here.

Yes Coach L knows more than me but this transfer is rather unexciting (based on the actual record). So my point was, if we were going to the player must sit out route, this makes little sense. There were better players who were not Ben Simmons (what a chitty argument).

Maybe he turns out to be something decent but we know he will be on scholarship for 3 years so let's hope he is worth it.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Some positives to the move:

Gilmore gets to practice and learn our system, play against our other big men, and get stronger in the weight room.

Gilmore had a .558 eFG% last year, that was second on VCU. eFG% accounts for the fact that a 3 is worth more than a 2. This percentage would have finished 4th on our team last year behind McClellan, Lawrence Jr. and Cruz-Uceda.

Gilmore had a DRtg of 95.5, which was 3rd on VCU and would've led Miami. This stat shows how many points per 100 possessions his man would score. It's not a perfect stat, as it really is heavily influenced by your teammates, but the fact his fared so well shows he is a very good defender. This number would've easily led Miami, which was not a very good defensive team last year. Even adjusting his numbers to include his teammates defensive metrics would get him as our best defensive player.

His profile is that of a good shooter, not a proficient scorer, very good defender, excellent size, good skill.

Needs to work on reducing his turnovers and increasing his rebounding production. We wanted this kid out of HS, had some solid offers too, the emergence of Tilman is why he lost minutes but came on strong in the NCAA tournament. Kid is big and athletic and the off year will be good for his development, reminds me a bit of Kadji. We still have another spot open and if we land Thornton we’ll be stacked for 2017. Keep in mind we are still 10 deep this coming year and if the new kids deliver as advertised we should contend for another ticket to the dance. Our backcourt is loaded, just need the young guys in the front court to help Murphy.

Is he the ideal solution? no but I'd bet he'll contribute in a year when he hits the court for us.

Advertisement

+ 1

Sigh....

Wow, "your" shocked I'm disappointed.

Did you read my post? Seriously. This is not a quality transfer in the sense that his record, meaning his actual performance at the college level, was sub-par and nothing of relevance. That is why he was choosing between Valpo, FGCU and Tulane. I wonder why Shaka Smart didn't come calling again since he was available. Surely Shaka must know something, oh right "he was a bad fit."

He was a 4 star, great. HS ended long ago and we all know the rankings are known to make errors and be imperfect. I wonder why none of those same relevant schools, who originally recruited him, came calling. They probably saw what he can do at the college level and were unimpressed. Also, when "you're" blowing a player with a sub-par college record, make sure you sell his HS accomplishments, which were over 2 years ago, because the actual record is...

Great Ben Simmons argument, wow "you're" a ***ing potato. I love this argument because nobody but a potato would attempt to make it. Yes, he isn't Ben Simmons and we only take Ben Simmons transfers. Looking at our last 4 (coming in), Muhammad, Angel, Sheldon and Murphy were not Ben Simmons either. Yet they all had pretty good stats and/or played a lot of burn. They showed a lot of potential at another program based on the actual record. Nobody shot them down because the actual record was pretty good. This is not the case here.

Yes Coach L knows more than me but this transfer is rather unexciting (based on the actual record). So my point was, if we were going to the player must sit out route, this makes little sense. There were better players who were not Ben Simmons (what a chitty argument).

Maybe he turns out to be something decent but we know he will be on scholarship for 3 years so let's hope he is worth it.

Jesus shut up. Just because he used the wrong "your" doesn't mean he was wrong. Ad hominem much? If Coach L hasn't earned your trust by now then please only follow the football team.

Jesus shut up. Just because he used the wrong "your" doesn't mean he was wrong. Ad hominem much? If Coach L hasn't earned your trust by now then please only follow the football team.

Wow. Did I hurt your feelings? I am sorry. I can't believe you told me to shut up. That hurts.

He is giving an opinion and I gave mine. He choose to blow the transfer (went as far as "loving" it) and "supported" his opinion but glanced over his college experience (the actual record in college). I supported mine and then explained that had we committed to this route the whole time (transfers who must sit out) perhaps we could have done better and reached higher. He also attempted to use a clever Ben Simmons line which is on par for a potato.

So I am not sure why this transfer excites anyone? He was a bench player at VCU and people are "loving" this transfer? This doesn't mean he can't be a decent player and provide quality burn; but based on the actual record in college, it raises some questions. Is that fair?

I love Coach L but I am not sure why we can't discuss this without offending porsters. Remember this is a Hurricane Basketball board.

Are people expecting much more than depth? Why should we "love" this transfer?

Educate me, please.

Wow. Did I hurt your feelings? I am sorry. I can't believe you told me to shut up. That hurts.

He is giving an opinion and I gave mine. He choose to blow the transfer (went as far as "loving" it) and "supported" his opinion but glanced over his college experience (the actual record in college). I supported mine and then explained that had we committed to this route the whole time (transfers who must sit out) perhaps we could have done better and reached higher. He also attempted to use a clever Ben Simmons line which is on par for a potato.

So I am not sure why this transfer excites anyone? He was a bench player at VCU and people are "loving" this transfer? This doesn't mean he can't be a decent player and provide quality burn; but based on the actual record in college, it raises some questions. Is that fair?

I love Coach L but I am not sure why we can't discuss this without offending porsters. Remember this is a Hurricane Basketball board.

Are people expecting much more than depth? Why should we "love" this transfer?

Educate me, please.

Why don't you read Hurricane Visions post then.

I read his post.

I get it. He looks nice on paper (not really). He is athletic, big and defends well. I understand.

My question is why does he only play 11 MPG? Why did his burn go down during conference play? Why did Mohamed's (FR) burn go up over Gilmore? If we were committed to taking kids who must sit out (the whole time), would we end up with him?

Look at our last 4 transfers (in my post above), they all showed promise based on their actual records in college. They were able to have success at other programs. I am more confused as to why Gilmore didn't show similar success.

Why is this exciting?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back