Miami, FAU agree to 3 year series

Why? Great, so we play a game with absolutely no up side, besides an extra "home game" that will have even less attendance than our real "home games", against players with only one way out of obscurity: injuring a Cane.

They will not consider this a Gator or BCS game, where they are expected to play nice and lose, for a check. FIU all over again.

It's like we have become a local team, trying to win the "second rate state title by beating UCF, USF, FIU, FAU and such.

I know, ask me after the Notre Dame game and I will support playing a JUCO only schedule, anything but more losses. ;)

Advertisement
the 2015/16 games i dont have a problem with.........its a ploy to help recruiting in PB county and north

but playing this game next year........its a game that has the very realistic chance to be a loss and blow up in our face

a 2 games series in 15/16 would be much better

Well why don't we get Ball State in there, Weber State is a real badass, Portland State, Stony Brook, Towson, and if we want to really impress some folks, maybe we can work Brown in.

We can learn a lot from these teams, get better, and they can help us get our rankings up while giving us some really top competition.

Siht on a stick . . .

Well why don't we get Ball State in there, Weber State is a real badass, Portland State, Stony Brook, Towson, and if we want to really impress some folks, maybe we can work Brown in.

We can learn a lot from these teams, get better, and they can help us get our rankings up while giving us some really top competition.

Siht on a stick . . .

every team is playing 1 game a year against a 1-AA team because the BCS will basically throw it out

so if we can schedule a guaranteed win.......why not do it?

everybody else does

we arent an indy in 1985 anymore

Florida Atlantic is D1... There is nothing wrong with playing D1 schools that are close to home.

Advertisement
**** it. Play 'em, kill 'em, profit. And I also think attendance will not be as bad for this game as most think.

So of our fans sound like pussyfied players over this game
this is a new attitude era
we will kill FAU

the bigger question is why would you go out of your way to play tough OOC teams when there's really no benefit.

I'm ok with scheduling one or 2 of these games a year, then a decent OOC team

Actually, there is benefit to play tough OOC teams.

But if you don't instinctively and instantly 'get it,' then there's not much use discussing it in any detail.

Advertisement

But if you don't instinctively and instantly 'get it,' then there's not much use discussing it in any detail.

Yes but you have to win those tough OOC games there are no style points in the BCS formula

got it coach. Makes your team better. I get it. But there's no style points, saves huge travel and for a team in its infancy in terms of success, a "W". Doesn't hurt with recruiting in a very talent rich area and is basically another home game for a team that doesn't get tons of fan support.

Do I still not get it?

LOL at people being afraid to play ******** FAU. You got to be kidding me. As golden would say"Get mentality UTough"

I know I'm swimming against the current here, but maybe I can give you a long-term example or two how this could play out.

In a string of years, we knocked off the #1 team during the course of a season several times. When you go back to the bulk of the NC games we won, look at the opponents. Take Nebraska. They'd only play two or three decent teams in a season, and run up scores and stats against cupcakes.

So on the game day where it really mattered, they weren't up to the task. Miami was. Same with Oklahoma. Phenomenal stats. Ungodly YPG, Total Offense, Total Scoring, etc.

Notre Dame. Run up scores right and left - even stole a NC from us just like OSU on bad calls.

I just think FAU doesn't do a damned thing to help us. Long term.

You want more wins? Let's get Brown on the schedule. Nicholls State. Bucknell and Drake. Throw in Marist and Elon, and we've matched our wins for last year.

Then with FAU, we've already improved our team's wins over last year. That would give us seven gimme's. 7-0, and we could whoop it up and pat each other on the back and brag on how good we are.

Anything for that 'W," right?

Advertisement
I know I'm swimming against the current here, but maybe I can give you a long-term example or two how this could play out.

In a string of years, we knocked off the #1 team during the course of a season several times. When you go back to the bulk of the NC games we won, look at the opponents. Take Nebraska. They'd only play two or three decent teams in a season, and run up scores and stats against cupcakes.

So on the game day where it really mattered, they weren't up to the task. Miami was. Same with Oklahoma. Phenomenal stats. Ungodly YPG, Total Offense, Total Scoring, etc.

Notre Dame. Run up scores right and left - even stole a NC from us just like OSU on bad calls.

I just think FAU doesn't do a damned thing to help us. Long term.

You want more wins? Let's get Brown on the schedule. Nicholls State. Bucknell and Drake. Throw in Marist and Elon, and we've matched our wins for last year.

Then with FAU, we've already improved our team's wins over last year. That would give us seven gimme's. 7-0, and we could whoop it up and pat each other on the back and brag on how good we are.

Anything for that 'W," right?

so your examples are from the early 2000s and late 90s?

Every team from the last couple of years to have won the National championship had cupcakes on their schedule. Every single one.

I don't agree with playing all cupcakes as an OOC schedule. But we definitely shouldn't be schedule 3 or 4 tough OOC teams every year either.

FAU is more than just a cupcake game. Are there not benefits to playing what amounts to another home game in a territory that we recruit heavily? What benefits would playing Brown, Marist etc give us? I'd rather play someone like FAU than a road game to what will likely be a mediocre Kansas State team on the road

I misunderstood.

I thought I heard folks here saying they wanted "W's" in the win/loss column, and some that suggested 'there are no style points in the BCS.'

The reason I had to go the the early 2000's and late 90's was because that was the last time period we could actually do worth a **** on the football field.

In case no one has noticed, we've lost a lot of 'cupcake' games over the last several years. Oh, my bad. We were cupcakes for other teams.

Which - it's coming - playing more cupcakes will help us . . . no I missed it again.

I don't have a problem playing FAU. I have a problem playing them at their place, and the athletic department continually approaching scheduling negotiations like we are a MAC team or something. We gain nothing whatsoever by traveling to FAU, and it is a tremendous benefit for FAU to have a home game against us. We put their program on the map doing this, and help turn them into a rival. Us traveling to USF started to put them on the map and now they are a rival. There is a reason why no other BCS team has done this. If we insist on playing a road game against a Sun Belt school it makes more sense to do it in a place where we get exposure recruiting wise, like Louisiana-Lafayette or something. Not Boca where we get whoever we want anyways for the most part.

Advertisement
I don't have a problem playing FAU. I have a problem playing them at their place, and the athletic department continually approaching scheduling negotiations like we are a MAC team or something. We gain nothing whatsoever by traveling to FAU, and it is a tremendous benefit for FAU to have a home game against us. We put their program on the map doing this, and help turn them into a rival. Us traveling to USF started to put them on the map and now they are a rival. There is a reason why no other BCS team has done this. If we insist on playing a road game against a Sun Belt school it makes more sense to do it in a place where we get exposure recruiting wise, like Louisiana-Lafayette or something. Not Boca where we get whoever we want anyways for the most part.

Like this post!

I misunderstood.

I thought I heard folks here saying they wanted "W's" in the win/loss column, and some that suggested 'there are no style points in the BCS.'

The reason I had to go the the early 2000's and late 90's was because that was the last time period we could actually do worth a **** on the football field.

In case no one has noticed, we've lost a lot of 'cupcake' games over the last several years. Oh, my bad. We were cupcakes for other teams.

Which - it's coming - playing more cupcakes will help us . . . no I missed it again.

Look at the schedule from the 80's Canes teams. Miami played alot of cupcakes.

Aside from a W, this brings absolutely nothing to the table.

If you just want a W, then let's play Elon.

Advertisement
Back