Miami at NC State (1-9-21) at noon on Fox Sports

Great win on the road against a decent team, albeit that was ugly. A lot of our recent games have been low scoring and ugly, we just made a few more plays down the stretch this time than the opponent did. A few thoughts:

- Wong was a beast. Even when Lykes comes back, Wong needs to be our #1 go to. He’s simply our most gifted offensive player and it’s not really close
- Timberlake showed some positive signs of development tonight. His handle is still sloppy and his shot is still ugly, but his defense continues to get better each game and he found ways to score inside. He deserves props for hitting the clutch free throws at the end to ice it too
- Olanyi has settled into a nice groove after an ugly first couple of games for him. I actually think he’s not being utilized enough. Would like to see more of him and less of Beverly.
- speaking of Beverly, he is quietly turning into a very good defender. If he could just cut down some of his terrible turnovers, he’d be a much better player
- Cross has such a good shooting stroke. I don’t think he’s shooting it enough (Beverly should never take 3’s)
- Both Gak and Brooks were atrocious, especially Gak. It’s incredible we won this game given how truly awful and unproductive our frontcourt was. We don’t need dominant bigs to win, but **** they couldn’t even grab rebounds tonight. Just 3 combined for them. It’s sad when your guards are consistently out rebounding your bigs. We absolutely desperately need that West Virginia transfer and at least another big or two for next season. The state of this frontcourt has been abysmal for several seasons straight now.
- I mentioned it above, but I think we need to let Walker play thru some of his mistakes. While he’s not a true “big”, he’s at least athletic and has a much higher ceiling than brooks and Gak. I’d rather play small and have Walker/cross out there before Gak ever plays.

Advertisement
Which I still don’t understand. He clearly has more upside than Gak and Brooks, yet he gets the least amount of minutes of the 3.
L repeatedly refers to him as a perimeter player. I guess he thinks his future is on the wing. Both Gak and Brooks have 2-3 inches on him. Gak is only 10 pounds heavier, but Brooks is 30 pounds heavier.

He's badly undersized defensively, and is not skilled enough offensively to make opponents pay at the other end.

L repeatedly refers to him as a perimeter player. I guess he thinks his future is on the wing. Both Gak and Brooks have 2-3 inches on him. Gak is only 10 pounds heavier, but Brooks is 30 pounds heavier.

He's badly undersized defensively, and is not skilled enough offensively to make opponents pay at the other end.
Odd. Walker cannot shoot. He's like 10% from 3 on the year. He's at his best when he's in transition and attacking the rim. Not a classic big by any means, but Gak is so unproductive that I don't see the point in giving him the minutes.

Odd. Walker cannot shoot. He's like 10% from 3 on the year. He's at his best when he's in transition and attacking the rim. Not a classic big by any means, but Gak is so unproductive that I don't see the point in giving him the minutes.
Walker seems so energetic and athletic I had(have) high hopes. But he seems genuinely confused at times; I mean, some guys question a foul call to make refs look dumb (as they are), but he just seems to not understand what one can or should try to get a way with, much of the time. And then there is the shooting. Oh, but agree would rather see him out there than Gak, and maybe there is a high not yet reached 6'9 ceiling.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back