Lykes

Tony Parker's go-to move is the triple in-and-out with the floater. With that being said, the Spurs were at their peak when Tony Parker is their 3rd option (at best) on the scoring wheel. The Admiral, Duncan, Ginobli, etc. were the first scoring options, Parker was the facilitator. That's my point exactly.

Lykes needs to be a facilitator, first and foremost, in order for Miami to reach it's optimal potential as a team. Truth be told, he's our best and quite possibly only option at the point in 2018.
2007 championship Parker was the 2nd scoring option and took finals MVP. Parker has never been the facilitator and that offense has never had a facilitator which is part of my point. Unless you think a career 6apg guy in the NBA is actually a facilitator and not a scoring guard which at that point I cant really help you any further.

Advertisement
It's a heckuva higher/harder "teardrop" to loft in the lane when you are 5'6. You saw how many of Newton's "tear drops" were rejected easily when he shot them (of course, with JaQuan, the defense knew he had no scoring option other than to try to penetrate).

Shane Larkin might be a better comparison than Parker. Shane's first step was, however, really quick and special -- allowed him to gert many penetrating layups off the glass.

2007 championship Parker was the 2nd scoring option and took finals MVP. Parker has never been the facilitator and that offense has never had a facilitator which is part of my point. Unless you think a career 6apg guy in the NBA is actually a facilitator and not a scoring guard which at that point I cant really help you any further.

Men lie, women lie, numbers don't... go back and check the numbers. I'm confident Parker led them in assists by a large margin during his 18 years in San Antonio. C'mon man!

Listen, I don't want to continue going down this rabbit hole with you. Bottom line, is that if you take a look at Miami's current roster, there is no one on there capable of running the show quite like Chris Lykes. He needs to have a pass first mentality. How was Larkin in Coach L's system? How bout Angel Rodriguez? All diminutive PG's who made a living attacking the rim, finding open men, and knocking down open shots. Proof of what I'm saying is in the pudding.

Men lie, women lie, numbers don't... go back and check the numbers. I'm confident Parker led them in assists by a large margin during his 18 years in San Antonio. C'mon man!

Listen, I don't want to continue going down this rabbit hole with you. Bottom line, is that if you take a look at Miami's current roster, there is no one on there capable of running the show quite like Chris Lykes. He needs to have a pass first mentality. How was Larkin in Coach L's system? How bout Angel Rodriguez? All diminutive PG's who made a living attacking the rim, finding open men, and knocking down open shots. Proof of what I'm saying is in the pudding.
Do you consider any player who leads a team in assists to be the facilitator? His main goal during games was to penetrate and score, not to facilitate his teammates scoring.

Are you trying to tell me Shane Larkin, leader in points per game on our team 2013, had a pass first mentality? Did you even watch the man play basketball? Lykes should be able to play the exact same role as Larkin did in 2013 and that clearly wasnt a player with a pass first mentality.

A pass first mentality is the exact opposite of what we need out of Lykes next season.

Do you consider any player who leads a team in assists to be the facilitator? His main goal during games was to penetrate and score, not to facilitate his teammates scoring.

Are you trying to tell me Shane Larkin, leader in points per game on our team 2013, had a pass first mentality? Did you even watch the man play basketball? Lykes should be able to play the exact same role as Larkin did in 2013 and that clearly wasnt a player with a pass first mentality.

A pass first mentality is the exact opposite of what we need out of Lykes next season.

I'm sure I've seen Larkin play a lot more than anyone on here has. I'm going back to his days on the circuit with the Showtime Ballers, thru HS, college and the pros.

Now, I'm definitely cool with Lykes coming in with Larkin's mentality this coming season. They're similar players. Lykes can definitely take a page out of Larkin's play at Miami.

I'll break it down to you cause looks like you're not understanding me. At no point, did I say Lykes shouldn't look to score.

Has a PG, his first option should be to attack the rim and if help defense doesn't come, he should go score the ball. If the help D comes, kick or dumpt to the open man. If D is playing off of him, he needs to take flat open flat-footed shots. Not the off-balance, running jumpers, getting caught in mid-air shots he took last season. And I'm not even going to mention the ill-advised jump shots he took last season, that were blocked. That's all I'm saying.

Advertisement
I'm sure I've seen Larkin play a lot more than anyone on here has. I'm going back to his days on the circuit with the Showtime Ballers, thru HS, college and the pros.

Now, I'm definitely cool with Lykes coming in with Larkin's mentality this coming season. They're similar players. Lykes can definitely take a page out of Larkin's play at Miami.

I'll break it down to you cause looks like you're not understanding me. At no point, did I say Lykes shouldn't look to score.

Has a PG, his first option should be to attack the rim and if help defense doesn't come, he should go score the ball. If the help D comes, kick or dumpt to the open man. If D is playing off of him, he needs to take flat open flat-footed shots. Not the off-balance, running jumpers, getting caught in mid-air shots he took last season. And I'm not even going to mention the ill-advised jump shots he took last season, that were blocked. That's all I'm saying.
Bolded- Im sure you believe that lol.

Quoting you exactly "He needs to have a pass first mentality" which would be the exact opposite of a player like Larkin.

The more you go in to your description of how he should play I dont think you really know what a pass first mentality actually is.

Bolded- Im sure you believe that lol.

Quoting you exactly "He needs to have a pass first mentality" which would be the exact opposite of a player like Larkin.

The more you go in to your description of how he should play I dont think you really know what a pass first mentality actually is.

Like I said, I'm not going down the rabbit hole with you. I've coached over 70+ Division I kids and helped put another 300+ in college over the last 20 years. I know what I know, and you know what you know. We can agree to disagree.

Bottom line, anything but a "shoot first at all cost" mentality will suffice. Point, blank.

GO CANES!!!

Like I said, I'm not going down the rabbit hole with you. I've coached over 70+ Division I kids and helped put another 300+ in college over the last 20 years. I know what I know, and you know what you know. We can agree to disagree.

Bottom line, anything but a "shoot first at all cost" mentality will suffice. Point, blank.

GO CANES!!!
Oh I get it you are big time...

Advertisement
DoDcIliXcAAXQSR.jpg

Advertisement
Back