Lykes in Doghouse?

obfan

Redshirt Freshman
Coach is obviously experimenting with lineups lately and seemingly going with hot hand. But that doesn't explain BB's PT or the lack of Lyles PT IMO. He has not been shooting that well but his defense is mostly good and he does distribute the ball better than Newt or BB. Coach is frequently lecturing our little guy pretty often. IMO our best lineup is still 2,3,4,11 and 20. BB is capable of playing the one so keeping Newt on the bench is fine with me. He just doesn't bring much to the party anymore. Hope Lykes and coach work it out as I don't see us going very far without Lykes being a starter

Advertisement
This wasn't a great matchup for Lykes, because of how long and athletic FSU is. That said, he got plenty of burn during the game, but he sat in OT, a decision I disagreed with. L wanted size late, and with Lykes not shooting well, it didn't make sense to run with him, but I still think he should have seen some PT in OT, especially when Bruce started getting selfish.When CL is in the game, good things happen, and with BB struggling to finish at the rim, you need a distributor that can get the ball in the hands of hot shooters. DJ and Lonnie were bombing today from deep, get some drive and kicks.

Lykes isn't even close to being in L's doghouse, he

He didn’t make a shot from the floor and he gave up layup after layup on defense

I’m a Lykes fan. But he couldn’t be in there today. Defense was killing us

I wouldn’t read to much into it. A one game thing

It was 2 games in a row

What does Louisville and FSU both have? SIZE. In other words, Lykes was screwed defensively, because he didn't really have anyone to guard without being at a total disadvantage. Vasiljevic had that same problem today, but he shot so well, he had to stay in the game.

Advertisement
L was having a stern conversation with him at one point late in the game. I made a mental note that it didn’t look to good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The team played well, FSU played better. We came in to win. I regret the last possession we had prior to OT. We had a great opportunity to win in regulation.

Advertisement
idk but he needs to stop throwing himself around. **** looks dumb.

Hey if other teams gonna flop around to draw fouls we need to do the same thing.

He never gets the call lol I know what you’re saying tho.

lol. You are absolutely correct on that part. It actually seems to hurt us because he lays on the ground with no call and its basically a 4 on 5 until he gets up. He also seems to fall excessively hard and shakes himself up sometimes.

Hey if other teams gonna flop around to draw fouls we need to do the same thing.

IMO BB and Newt especially would greatly benefit from initiating more contact and some following dramas when driving the lane. In Newt case he has only 2 moves. Driving to the lane and missing the difficult angel shot or pulling up for the fade away that he used to make. I would like to see coach have him really push it into the lane hoping for
Getting their guys in foul trouble
Newt getting to the line.
Newt scoring

If the refs are friendly it works if they are not Newt sits which IMO is fine as he brings nothing else

As I said IMO if we are to challenge for either ACC titles this year or get to the NCAA LYkes has to be on the floor.

Advertisement
L chewed out Lykes pretty hard at the Louisville game after he took him out of the game and sat him down. I was sitting not far above the bench.

Not the first time he has gotten chewed. As a freshman he is gonna make mistakes but that looked like a little more than a one time mistake chewing. Coach talks to the one a lot and BB very often but I have only seen him chew out 2,15 and DJ. Oh well we will see

Newton sat a large amount of minutes too, he was straight up sulking too. I was thinking kid you should be thrilled you still get any minutes at all.

As for Lykes, I said it was more of coach L riding with the hot lineup, which Lykes is normally in that lineup. Last two games he's been out , DJ is back to getting more minutes.

Advertisement

IMO BB and Newt especially would greatly benefit from initiating more contact and some following dramas when driving the lane. In Newt case he has only 2 moves. Driving to the lane and missing the difficult angel shot or pulling up for the fade away that he used to make. I would like to see coach have him really push it into the lane hoping for
Getting their guys in foul trouble
Newt getting to the line.
Newt scoring

If the refs are friendly it works if they are not Newt sits which IMO is fine as he brings nothing else

As I said IMO if we are to challenge for either ACC titles this year or get to the NCAA LYkes has to be on the floor.

I like your logic the only problem is neither of them can hit foul shots so there better off just chucking them up and hoping it goes in.

Not the first time he has gotten chewed. As a freshman he is gonna make mistakes but that looked like a little more than a one time mistake chewing. Coach talks to the one a lot and BB very often but I have only seen him chew out 2,15 and DJ. Oh well we will see

He has done a **** of a lot more chewing out this season then I ever scene him do before. Lykes can take it, but Walker and DJ seem pretty soft and it seems like he is getting in there head and destroying their confidence. He is used to a lot of upper classmen that dont take it to heart, but these young guys that he chews out all seem to have ****** games right after the chewings

I do think it bothers Lykes. at his height you can only go full speed or it ain't gonna work. Having any doubt at all about what you are doing is death. As far as coach barking. It sucks when you don't have a PG leader and we don't

Advertisement
Back