Let’s talk wide receivers

True indeed. I’m of the belief that Maye’s ranking would have been higher had he played his senior year. He ended at 56. From everything I know about it Mack had him compete as long as they did truly because his head is in the clouds at times and they’re keeping him centered. Not because it was a real close comp. That’s neither here nor there because he still has to play a real game. And he has downs and a couple other guys. I think that game is gonna surprise most people. I didn’t describe Pitt’s situation as good. I think slovis in the system Pitt’s seems to be implementing will be serviceable. That’s all they need from him. I think in terms of talent we’re sleeping on unc. Regarding A&M max lost the job if I’m to believe the rumors. Haynes will start week 1.

Interesting about Haynes although not a big surprise b/c Max stinks. as for Haynes, he always intrigued me b/c although he had mediocre senior year stats, he lit it up his junior year - what happened?

Also, SIAP but what's your take on the Quinn drama? The word is that he's not picking up the offense well, still enjoys the Austin nightlife and Chard was the real winner of fall practice. If true, that situation could come apart quickly for Sark. Chard may transfer, Quinn struggles and then you have the impending "mAnnInG sHoUlD sTaRt" drama. Can't wait.

Advertisement
Interesting about Haynes although not a big surprise b/c Max stinks. as for Haynes, he always intrigued me b/c although he had mediocre senior year stats, he lit it up his junior year - what happened?

Also, SIAP but what's your take on the Quinn drama? The word is that he's not picking up the offense well, still enjoys the Austin nightlife and Chard was the real winner of fall practice. If true, that situation could come apart quickly for Sark. Chard may transfer, Quinn struggles and then you have the impending "mAnnInG sHoUlD sTaRt" drama. Can't wait.
I think as far as Quinn goes it’s kinda like wait and see.. he’s never performed well in anything close to practice dating back to hs. Never lit up 7 on 7s either but was a beast come game time. I’m thinking he’ll be fine when the lights come on.

Haynes, i don’t recall what happened for his stats to be so drastically different. I know the team is lost talent between years but I don’t believe it was that much.

WE ARE NOT RUNNING A PRO STYLE OFFENSE lol Get that out of your heads. Everyone keeps looking at Gattis @ Michigan but that offense was molded to Harbaughs strengths and philosophy. That was a Harbaugh offense with his players he recruited for that specific style of play. It's already been said that Gattis will mold his offense to the strengths of our team...which is TVD...but now will the receivers catch the ball to even make this a strength lol I am glad Gattis is here to pair with Mario/pocket Mario because we will get more creative run plays. We absolutely have to run the **** ball to keep the defense honest and open up the field for our passing game. If we are in a situation where we can't run the ball like last year then we are screwed. Defenses will just sit back and make things even more difficult for our receivers who are already meh. Sorry guys, we are never getting this air raid offense attack.

Wait a minute. But I thought you and spider said Intergalactic Champions or bust?
9A539A87-6192-44A5-8A77-30F69FB39F4E.gif

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don't know anything about Quinn Ewers and not predicting anything one way or the other, but immature college-aged kids with big NIL money is going to create some colossal failures. This has always been an issue, particularly with the highly-recruited guys who assume they're just going to walk into college programs and excel, but adding big money into that already volatile ****tail will make for *popcorn*.

I felt there was no better time than now to discuss the pink elephant in the room. Yes….I’m talking the wr’s. I had a big part in creating this narrative in early spring. At that time me and a certain poster had a disagreement about the wr group , the poster mentioned he had heard the wr’s were balling. I told him it’s more like the opposite , they’re struggling, we had quite the battle lol. So since I had a small hand in creating this narrative figured it’s only right I pull everyone back off the life boat…..FOR NOW!!

First let’s fact check….are some wr’s dropping balls ? Yes….too many and it’s unacceptable. Are guys having issues picking up the offense ? Yes. Is there concerns about this group going into the season? YES!! Is X far and away the most consistent performer since spring? Yes.

Now let’s get to the part that doesn’t add up, these same guys that are dropping passes now wasn’t doing it last year. At practice or in games. JG was returning punts as a true Fr and was the most consistent guy the entire year. You don’t put guys with suspect hands back for the most hectic , dangerous play in football. Theres literally eleven guys flying down hill and you only have a split second to make up your mind.

So the question I have his why did this suddenly become a major issue? Here’s some of my theories.

1. Guys are thinking more than playing. They went from a elementary style offense which is known for easy route concepts and even easier playbook to learn. The whole point of that O was to not think, just play and fast. This year it went to a college level playbook and it’s busting their asses. Instead of just running a route , putting your foot in the dirt breaking that thing off you’re unsure, maybe even looking at hashes so know where to round it off or just not confident in the assignment / play call.

2. They’re actually facing a really good defense every day, I’ve been told by too many people to count this is as legit of a defense we’ve had in a minute. Big , fast and very physical. Especially a secondary who’s finally allowed to rough up wr’s off the line , which is hurting clean get offs. That leads to no separation. That’s not a good equation for success when most of the wr’s are kinda light in the ***. The one guy giving the D issues is X who’s 5’10 200.

3. Young guys pressing. We forget majority of these guys are getting their first real serious burn and are being asked to be more than role players. JG, RB and BS was the core that was being expected to take this group into the future. It’s different when you aren’t the fourth , fifth or sixth option.

4. Maybe they just aren’t as good as their ranking or as good as we thought they were. The rankings and us as fans overvalued this group.

So now the question is can coaches do anything to take the pressure off or put them in better situations? @LuCane and myself both mentioned that maybe Gattis could implement a little bit of what Lashlee was doing towards the end of last season. Ease up the playbook ,possibly throw in some of the route concepts and wider splits, which gives them more space to work with. I’m willing to bet they’re pressing at this point and as I said it’s likely mental. Simplifying things has been known to work, I’ve seen it too many times to count.

I’m not ready to throw the season away just yet even though I know wr is a concern. Confidence is a weird thing after guys make some plays when bullets start flying. They won’t face a better defense during the season , so it’s all down hill week one.

All we need is this group to be consistent, thats it. Not Andre J, Santana or even Rambo. Consistent Everyone play their role.

Imo we won’t see any 18 % drop rates this year like a couple guys who are no longer here.
I agree with everything except the Clemson defense is still going to be very good. As far as Clemson vs A&M , they are both top 10 IMO...but the Clemson d-line is arguably one of the best in the country

Advertisement
I agree with everything except the Clemson defense is still going to be very good. As far as Clemson vs A&M , they are both top 10 IMO...but the Clemson d-line is arguably one of the best in the country
I was talking db’s since thats who they’re facing. Our three safeties and TS is a very good group.

Advertisement
Lol, i figured it was something like that.
You are realistic about where the squad is currently. I am realistic about where the squad is right now. Some are expecting miracles this season. Which is totally cool.

I basically joked that you have been telling us everything was fixed and it’s final four or bust. All the while you have told everyone to temper the expectations. It was a weak attempt at humor. I need to stay in my lane.

Advertisement
I'm not worried about the receivers because the run game gone make it easier for them and TvD.

I'm going full Homer status just like Mario/Mirabal. They have confidence in the offense mainly because they are confident, to the point of ****y, in their ability to teach/develop the position.

You remember how offended Mirabal was when someone implied the Olinemen on the team weren't up to par or something of the such?

These guys legit think Gattis is the McDaniels to their Scarnecchia.

If they're hanging their hats on it then so am i.

Last edited:
I'm not worried about the receivers because the run game gone make it easier for them and TvD.

I'm going full Homer status just like Mario/Mirabal. They have confidence in the offense mainly because they are confident, to the point of ****y, in their ability to teach/develop the position.

You remember how offended Mirabal was when someone implied the Olinemen on the team weren't up to par or something of the much
Depends on the opponent. The tougher teams can neutralize Rooster, Thad, and Parrish. That's why I'm bummed Chaney and Citizen are out, they're the kind of backs who can make something out of nothing.

True indeed. I’m of the belief that Maye’s ranking would have been higher had he played his senior year. He ended at 56. From everything I know about it Mack had him compete as long as they did truly because his head is in the clouds at times and they’re keeping him centered. Not because it was a real close comp. That’s neither here nor there because he still has to play a real game. And he has downs and a couple other guys. I think that game is gonna surprise most people. I didn’t describe Pitt’s situation as good. I think slovis in the system Pitt’s seems to be implementing will be serviceable. That’s all they need from him. I think in terms of talent we’re sleeping on unc. Regarding A&M max lost the job if I’m to believe the rumors. Haynes will start week 1.
Maye might be good, but unless there has been DRAMATIC improvement, UNC is going to really struggle on both sides up front. Sam
Howell ran for his life all year against average defensive lines.

Carolina has had some good recruiting classes, but as we all know, that doesn’t mean everything. They are down this year with an unproven QB. We HAVE to win that game at home with our talent at DL and presumably better offensive line.

We can totally beat them man. But we’re gonna have to commit to the pass. The secondary is good but they can be had vertically. The intermediate stuff is going to be hard to come buy with that stud safety likely covering tight ends that game. But I’m more than positive Keyshawn can run past anybody they have and brashard smith can be a problem for them in space. You go in there trying to run the ball all night expect some sadness
Elijah will **** on that safety

Advertisement
Back