LB Depth Chart - Spring/Fall

FRCane

Sophomore
Taking an early look at the depth charts during the spring. I'm sure the LBs will get shifted inside and out throughout spring and fall camp, but here's my stab at it.

OLB - Perryman (SO), E. Johnson (FR*), Witt (FR)
MLB - Cain (JR), Gaines (JR), Paul (SO)
OLB - Kirby (FR), Holton (SR), Buchanon (*SR)

- I don't think Buch will participate in much of the spring other than non-contact drills. Someone needs to step up at that position - by the time spring comes to a close I think Kirby will have eventually won out.
- Something needs to happen at MLB. I would really like to see Perryman there, but think he will stay outside to replace Spence. I just don't see Gaines as the answer there. Looking forward to hearing more about Cain and Paul throughout the spring.
- Perryman is the only lock starter of the bunch, imo. I think anyone on here would say that they are fairly confident with him stepping into Spence's role next season. E. Johnson is a mystery at this point, but he seems to have the size and athletic ability to become a player here.

Thoughts?

Advertisement
Denzel is definitely a starter, I like Cain I think he can be one of the other starters. I'm interested to see how Paul has developed since last year and I hope he's gotten the mental part of the game down. Gaines has the look of a great linebacker but I don't know if he can be a starter, seems like a good back up though. Kirby will get a lot of playing time this season imo I wonder could he play Mike? If Buchanon can come back and be healthy I like our LB core.

Cain is not a 1st teammer right now. Trust me. Paul is ahead. It's not due to his athleticism.

Weak - Denzel Perryman
Middle - James Gaines / Gionni Paul
Strong - Ramon Buchanan

I think both early entrant linebackers will see the field on specials, and will get strong reserve snaps at linebacker. I'm curious where Eddie Johnson fits in, too...heard some good things about him.

Advertisement
Kirby and Witt are pretty **** close right now.

You mean to each other, or to having a starting spot? And what's your source? (Don't mean that to be offensive, please don't take it that way).

Why haven't we been able to find a decent middle linebacker in the past 8 or 9 years? It seems like we have been taking our best outside guys and moving them inside at the end of their career here as a quick fix, but really haven't had a genuine MLB. Gaines looked awful last year IMO, I hope he progresses or they find someone better.

Advertisement
Move Buchanan back to his natural, and best position at Will. Slide Perryman over to the Mike. Let the others compete for Sam.

I've seen enough of Cain and Gaines though I will give Gaines the benefit of the doubt for 1 more year. just don't think these two guys are very good

I am waiting for G Paul to emerge...was excited he signed last year. I know the mental aspect of the game is just as important as the physical. AG was high on this guy and his physical ability and tenacity out of HS really impressed me. Hope he has settled in and we see more productivity out of him this year.

1st team

Perryman
Gaines
Buchanan/Kirby

2nd team

E. Johnson/Witt
G. Paul
Buchanan/Kirby

Advertisement
1st team

Perryman
Gaines
Buchanan/Kirby

2nd team

E. Johnson/Witt
G. Paul
Buchanan/Kirby

I gotta go with this but I dont think Kirby pushes Buch out. The MLB is where the battle will happen and I think Golden goes with experience.

I like the size of the second stringers. Not too thilled about the first stringers.

Keep an Eye on Witt. The kid is an absolute machine. Best tackler I've seen at his age in a long time..

Advertisement
I'm big on Cookie. His speed is incredible for a LB of his size, and he hits like a mean SOB. And Denzel... What can you say about him? He reminds me of a bigger, stronger Freshman Sean Spence. This guy is definitely easing the pain of losing #31.

So I think that Buchanon and Perryman will get the spots come Fall (they may slow-pedal Buchanon's return this Spring). MLB is a bit murky for me- none of the group (Cain, Gaines, and Paul) have really performed at a consistently high level. I can't wait to see the scrimmages and the Spring game to get an idea of what's going on.

Weak - Denzel Perryman
Middle - James Gaines / Gionni Paul
Strong - Ramon Buchanan

I think both early entrant linebackers will see the field on specials, and will get strong reserve snaps at linebacker. I'm curious where Eddie Johnson fits in, too...heard some good things about him.

My thoughts as well. I see Gaines and Gionni Paul splitting the bulk of the meaningful reps in the middle. Im assuming Ramon Buchanon will be 100% by the end of summer. The fact that he'll miss the spring is good for the EE LB kids. More reps.

Im also looking for Raphael Kirby and/or Eddie Johnson to have an impact in 2012.

Eddie Johnson is the one guy I want to hear a lot about this spring.He was one of the first true "Golden" guys as he wasn't offered until AG arrived. He seems very athletic and came in with good size ... very interested to see how he has developed in a year under AG.

Advertisement
Back