Rumor Lane Kiffin to Auburn

Advertisement
Advertisement
Lane should go get that Arizona Cardinals job.. seems like a great fit.
never thought of this. it would be a great move.

but programs/organizations are like women. after a breakup, they go get the exact opposite of what they just had. Kingsbury and Lane are kind of the same mold.

Advertisement
never thought of this. it would be a great move.

but programs/organizations are like women. after a breakup, they go get the exact opposite of what they just had. Kingsbury and Lane are kind of the same mold.
No way. I don't know why college coaches would want to go to the NFL. See Urban, Rhule, etc. Success is so fleeting in the NFL. Expectations are ridiculous. And then you have to manage the fact that you are simply a piece of a large organizational, corporate structure and have to answer to all sorts of folks. Whereas in college, these guys run the show. The money ain't even different anymore. Why subject yourself to all that for your ego?

If the Auburn powerbrokers can learn to get out of their own way, this could work out well for Lane. Saban is on the back 9.

Advertisement
No way. I don't know why college coaches would want to go to the NFL. See Urban, Rhule, etc. Success is so fleeting in the NFL. Expectations are ridiculous. And then you have to manage the fact that you are simply a piece of a large organizational, corporate structure and have to answer to all sorts of folks. Whereas in college, these guys run the show. The money ain't even different anymore. Why subject yourself to all that for your ego?
You don't want to recruit or deal with NIL and parents and boosters is probably the main reason as the money gap has seemingly closed. The NFL probably seems like a level playing field too if you're supremely confident in your coaching abilities.

Remember Mike Tomlin's reaction to the rumors about him and the USC job (a pretty sweet gig)?

You don't want to recruit or deal with NIL and parents and boosters is probably the main reason as the money gap has seemingly closed. The NFL probably seems like a level playing field too if you're supremely confident in your coaching abilities.

Remember Mike Tomlin's reaction to the rumors about him and the USC job (a pretty sweet gig)?
Fair points. But I'd likely rather have to deal with that nonsense where I can delegate folks to be on top of that then deal with organizational structures in the NFL where someone else is picking players and dictating to me what team, scheme, to run and then the coach is the scapegoat when it goes sideways.

Advertisement
Fair points. But I'd likely rather have to deal with that nonsense where I can delegate folks to be on top of that then deal with organizational structures in the NFL where someone else is picking players and dictating to me what team, scheme, to run and then the coach is the scapegoat when it goes sideways.
Me too. I listed all the potential negatives dealing with kids in my reply but there are definite positives too- even in this current climate. Just look at Sabag. Dolphins players laughed in his face at practice during his NFL stint. You're dealing with grown men playing for a paycheck. In college you're dealing mostly with kids trying to prove themselves or still playing at least in part due to love of the game. And the atmosphere in general often feels more special than that in the NFL.

That said, I think among coaches that they still view the NFL legends as the supreme beings of their profession.

Advertisement
Back