July 29, 2023 BBQ

Advertisement
Giving brisket another shot.
71164613793__64E00144-D237-49CF-9C6A-17540150F75A.fullsizerender.jpeg

You might be more open-minded than others, but I've had decades of interacting with Carolina BBQ snobs, so let's not pretend that it doesn't exist.

And I've already made it clear about sauce-on-side.
Every region with any claims to notoriety from its food has their snobs... Texans with beef or chili, midwesterners with ribs, New Yorkers with pizza etc. No point in anyone using superlatives for their preferred recipes, its all really subjective and personal unless someone shows up to a competition with a crock-pot.

Every region with any claims to notoriety from its food has their snobs... Texans with beef or chili, midwesterners with ribs, New Yorkers with pizza etc. No point in anyone using superlatives for their preferred recipes, its all really subjective and personal unless someone shows up to a competition with a crock-pot.

It's beyond snobbery.

Texans don't like beans in chili, but they don't DEFINE certain things as "not beef" or "not chili".

Midwesterners, particularly in KC and the Lou, may trim their ribs differently, but they don't try to tell people "those aren't ribs".

And New Yorkers have a relevant point about Chicago pizza, but they don't run around the rest of the country acting like everyone else's pizza "isn't pizza".

Advertisement
It's beyond snobbery.

Texans don't like beans in chili, but they don't DEFINE certain things as "not beef" or "not chili".

Midwesterners, particularly in KC and the Lou, may trim their ribs differently, but they don't try to tell people "those aren't ribs".

And New Yorkers have a relevant point about Chicago pizza, but they don't run around the rest of the country acting like everyone else's pizza "isn't pizza".
Texans literally say... "That's not chili, that's soup"
New Yorkers literally say... "That's not pizza, that's a casserole".

But OK lol.

Edit: anyone says pulled pork isnt bbq because of the type of sauce it has on it is stupid too.

Texans literally say... "That's not chili, that's soup"
New Yorkers literally say... "That's not pizza, that's a casserole".

But OK lol.

Edit: anyone says pulled pork isnt bbq because of the type of sauce it has on it is stupid too.

Texans do not define every other type of chili (different meat, different ingredients) as "not chili". Yes, they don't like beans, as I pointed out.

New Yorkers do not attack every other type of pizza, just one type where the crust (and sauce placement) are fundamentally different.

And for the record, I'm fine with beans in chili and Chicago pizza.

It's beyond snobbery.

Yes us NYers do.......

Advertisement
Texans do not define every other type of chili (different meat, different ingredients) as "not chili". Yes, they don't like beans, as I pointed out.

New Yorkers do not attack every other type of pizza, just one type where the crust (and sauce placement) are fundamentally different.

And for the record, I'm fine with beans in chili and Chicago pizza.
Many do, maybe it's a too broad brush, but yes many consider adding beans, tomatoes, macaroni and basically anything outside of chilis and beef chunks as 'not chili'. I've heard it countless times.

The point is food snobs are everywhere, no need to single out one group lol.

Many do, maybe it's a too broad brush, but yes many consider adding beans, tomatoes, macaroni and basically anything outside of chilis and beef chunks as 'not chili'. I've heard it countless times.

The point is food snobs are everywhere, no need to single out one group lol.
One thing I will not stand for is pineapple on pizza.

Considering half of my family is from Texas, @Suhrthing is spot on saying adding beans, etc to Chili is just flat out wrong by most Texans standards. They will absolutely tell you that it isn't chili with beans and other such things in it. My mother was born in New Mexico and her mother just used to shake her head of it wasn't made the way they had it growing up made by her, Texas style. My grandfather was from Michigan and you could always tell who made a pot by the contents.

I personally don't care, call it what you want. I prefer beans in a chili, but that's me.

Advertisement
I think Hawaiian pizza is actually good when done right!

I don't really like purity tests for food, variety is the spice of life!
I like Hawaiian pizza. What I don't like is Chicago deep dish. That's no pizza. It's just a pizza casserole that replaces the casserole dish with pizza dough.

Advertisement
I think Hawaiian pizza is actually good when done right!

I don't really like purity tests for food, variety is the spice of life!
I am all for experimenting to find new flavors. But some **** just don't need the wheel reinvented. I don't need you to get fancy and put gruyere and smoked gouda on my grill cheese. Just give me the kraft singles brohamus.

Advertisement
Back