July 2023 Recruiting BBQ Thread

I’ve never seen a kicker handicap his team like he did on a regular basis. The LSU game was brutal iirc.
I think the avg LSU possession was midfield.

Feagles had 5 punts for 182 yards with an avg of 36 yards. His longest punt was 54. So, the avg of the other 4 punts was 32 yards.

So, yah, punting from our 20 pretty much gave LSU the ball at midfield or better every time. Factoring in return yardage and it's much worse.

Those hidden yards were really the tale of the game. Joe Burrow was 11/24 (46% comp) for 140 yards. Yikes!!! LSU was 3 for 16 on 3rd down yet put up 33 points.

The punting and Rosier's poor play were the difference in the game. Rosier was 15/35 (43% comp) and 2 ints with a QBR of 32. Double Yikes!!!!

Advertisement
I definitely remember being frustrated with Coach Rumph before and being shocked when he wasn’t replaced by Coach Cristobal, but I’ll admit I was dead wrong.

He develops these kids and has been recruiting his *** off, which I just didn’t see before. Now you see his name constantly mentioned by recruits as their favorite recruiter, or Coach they’re mostly in contact with. Goes to show if you’re not deeply connected you should just “sit yo *** down” and watch things unfold because you never truly know what’s going on on the inside when you’re a fan such as myself.

@Brooklyndee @gogeta4

Advertisement
Some of the kids didnt like him while at Heritage...but it always be like that at high schools. He is at a position he shouldve started with to begin with but Richt gave him that an people expected immediate results. DAY 1 of his hire i stated he wouldnt recruit that well here because he really had no s.fla pull.
The "pressure" of really recruiting isnt on him now and he is more than likely excelling..i know hw owould do well with parents.

Maybe he moves back up to on the field as folks leave the program and would be better for it now on a second go.

Before everyone else chimes...Growing up Rumph was one of my fav canes lol. Would always draft him or trade for him on Madden.
Anyone can say what they want but Rumph was one of the few guys on the previous staff that actually developed the players in his position group.

I think the avg LSU possession was midfield.

Feagles had 5 punts for 182 yards with an avg of 36 yards. His longest punt was 54. So, the avg of the other 4 punts was 32 yards.

So, yah, punting from our 20 pretty much gave LSU the ball at midfield or better every time. Factoring in return yardage and it's much worse.

Those hidden yards were really the tale of the game. Joe Burrow was 11/24 (46% comp) for 140 yards. Yikes!!! LSU was 3 for 16 on 3rd down yet put up 33 points.

The punting and Rosier's poor play were the difference in the game. Rosier was 15/35 (43% comp) and 2 ints with a QBR of 32. Double Yikes!!!!
he gave LSU 4-5 possession at the 50 or better IN THE FIRST HALF. it was a miracle Miami hung around a bit.

Advertisement

For every one kid who loves the attention, loves the traveling to different schools and loves the trolling..there are probably two kids who hate everything about it and want to just commit to a school and be done with the whole thing. No more emails, phone calls, text messages, begging, pleading, calling your grandma/uncle/aunt/mom/dad/godfather/weed-man, etc....Glad Kinsler shut it down! Welcome kid!

Fair enough to say he has no south fla pull as he shouldn't have at that point. He was a few years out the league and has never done grass roots. I personally don't know any coach that all his players like. Never seen that & I get you've always been very opinionated when it relates to Mike. I think you have personally probably heard enough stories to where you know it's not just people on here telling you everything he was up against. Now that statement about the pressure of recruiting to me is just a cop out. When DeMarcus was in a similar spot people didn't say well he has no pressure so he should do like he's doing. They simply said DVD is killing it. Now because of the past history you and many others aren't giving Mike that same value. Just be aware Mario doesn't do favorites. If you're not doing what he brings you on for you won't be there...

this.

when coach cozza passed away, it was like a state funeral with all the Yale players who came through to pay their respects. we all loved the guy.

but, to a man, there wasn't a single person who played for him who wouldn't have wanted to murder him in his sleep at some point during their four years.

this.

when coach cozza passed away, it was like a state funeral with all the Yale players who came through to pay their respects. we all loved the guy.

but, to a man, there wasn't a single person who played for him who wouldn't have wanted to murder him in his sleep at some point during their four years.

Bobby was probably the closest thing. But he was an outlier of a human being and personality who coached in a different era.

Advertisement
To understand Luke is to understand that he always has an angle. Everything he tweets, has meaning in his mind and to a good deal of locals. This Sounds like a back handed question to me…. like, “ooohhh sooo the kids you invited to the cookout are the ONLY kids you’re recruiting for 23, 24, and 25, huh? So to **** wit errybody else, huh? Y’all ain’t prioritizing any kids that you didn’t invite to ya lil cookout, are you?” He’s a local high school coach and is probably slighted by the thought that none or not enough of HIS kids was invited. Luke knows exactly what he’s doing.
So he’s an insecure *****.

Fair enough to say he has no south fla pull as he shouldn't have at that point. He was a few years out the league and has never done grass roots. I personally don't know any coach that all his players like. Never seen that & I get you've always been very opinionated when it relates to Mike. I think you have personally probably heard enough stories to where you know it's not just people on here telling you everything he was up against. Now that statement about the pressure of recruiting to me is just a cop out. When DeMarcus was in a similar spot people didn't say well he has no pressure so he should do like he's doing. They simply said DVD is killing it. Now because of the past history you and many others aren't giving Mike that same value. Just be aware Mario doesn't do favorites. If you're not doing what he brings you on for you won't be there...

Brah Rumph might be the only HC ive seen get a job from a power house program loaded to the brim with prospects and only was able to honestly bring in a throw away Michigan lineman. (Nesta aint come here cause of him)

Guys like Sabbath Joseph come here and Wes Bissainthe signs.... you will see with my boy DVD ..kids we coached in Youth ball are already heavy cane leans.

Thats why i stated what i stated that every team has that ( not every one likes the hc). It was just something in particular that i knew at that time that made me know he wouldnt be to good of a recruiter out the gate.

I actually been giving him props at this position a good bit fromt he get go...because this the spot i always thought he should have.

I personally know DVD and knew he would be a beter recruiter having been around them both..he is wayyyyyy more personable.
It is what it is...i always stated Rumph should of started out ont he support team or analyst. Learning on the job in the pressure cooker of getting s.fla dbs aint where its at. Especially if ya aint get support like some of yall stated through the years.

I always want to see the Cane fam do well. The Rumph thing became a schtick almost...Im glad he still on staff. If we lose db coaches i like him and Brandon Harris to get looks again.

Last edited:
Brah Rumph might be the only HC ive seen get a job from a power house program loaded to the brim with prospects and only was able to honestly bring in a throw away Michigan lineman. (Nesta aint come here cause of him)

Guys like Sabbath Joseph come here and Wes Bissainthe signs.... you will see with my boy DVD ..kids we coached in Youth ball are already heavy cane leans.

Thats why i stated what i stated that every team has that ( not every one likes the hc). It was just something in particular that i knew at that time that made me know he wouldnt be to good of a recruiter out the gate.

I actually been giving him props at this position a good bit fromt he get go...because this the spot i always thought he should have.

I personally know DVD and knew he would be a beter recruiter having been around them both..he is wayyyyyy more personable.
It is what it is...i always stated Rumph should of started out ont he support team or analyst. Learning on the job in the pressure cooker of getting s.fla dbs aint where its at. Especially if ya aint get support like some of yall stated through the years.

I always want to see the Cane fam do well. The Rumph thing became a schtick almost...Im glad he still on staff. If we lose db coaches i like him and Brandon Harris to get looks again.
DVD does a good job.
Real personable/relatable guy.

I like Rumph but he ain't exactly Mister Personality.

But if Rumph is your "weak link" recruiting wise, then you've come a long way from the days of Paul Williams. I can honestly say that this whole staff is relatively personable. Much more than any staff I've seen at Miami in a long time. You can definitely see how/why they make recruits feel like family.

Advertisement
DVD does a good job.
Real personable/relatable guy.

I like Rumph but he ain't exactly Mister Personality.

But if Rumph is your "weak link" recruiting wise, then you've come a long way from the days of Paul Williams. I can honestly say that this whole staff is relatively personable. Much more than any staff I've seen at Miami in a long time. You can definitely see how/why they make recruits feel like family.
I'm confused with some people in this generation. What y'all call personable is in reality friendly as fvck/phony for most people. That's not DVD. Nothin phony about him. He's just friendly as fvck. But y'all say Mike ain't personable because at the end of the day maybe y'all don't know him too well. Mike just ain't phony. He's gonna be who he is regardless and he ain't gonna kiss no one's ***. But I've know Mikey since he was 16. To think he's a weakness is absurd. That's not saying I'm confused with you macho. Just people that view him as a weakness.

Last edited:
I'm confused with some people in this generation. What y'all call personable is in reality friendly as fvck/phony for most people. That's not DVD. Nothin phony about him. He's just friendly as fvck. But y'all say Mike ain't personable because at the end of the day maybe y'all don't know him too well. Mike just ain't phony. He's gonna be who he is regardless and he ain't gonna kiss no one's ***. But I've know Mikey since he was 16. To think he's a weakness is absurd.
Hold on...

I said DVD is personable aka friendly. (whatever you wanna call it) 🤷🏻‍♂️ I don't know where you got phony from. (I never even implied that) You putting words in my mouth.

And nowhere did I say that Mike ain't personable. He is. Mike is real cool.
He ain't lighting up a room though.

If he's supposedly our recruiting weakness, (other people's thoughts not mine) then we're in good hands.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back