Jhavontae dean impact

I hope he adjusts to better qb play and faster receivers quickly.

He was out of position a couple times and his elite speed made up for it because it took so long for the ball to get there.

Rumph will have fun coaching him, he has all the tools to be great.

Advertisement
I'm sorry, but most of those throws were absolutely trash. Only thing I get from this clip is that he shouldn't have a problem getting his head turned around.

Our D is going to be ******* lit. I'm excited about these older dudes coming in. I'm really excited about Amari Carter tho. Kid is a missile.

I'm sorry, but most of those throws were absolutely trash. Only thing I get from this clip is that he shouldn't have a problem getting his head turned around.
The outcomes are irrelevant. Let's look at the stuff likely to translate:

- At :13, he comes off his man in coverage nicely, something we mostly only saw Corn do last year (think of the FSU game)
- At :45, watch him take a poor step and change direction with ease, almost beating the WR's route to re-gain inside leverage. Now, against a top flight WR that may not work as well, but he'd still be sticky.
- At :53, he's well-balanced, reads the likely in-breaking post route, and is able to stay on the WR's hip at the top of the route. That could help us in certain blitz packages where the slot Corner ends up in man without help over the top.
- At 1:09, watch him able to drop enough to plant and drive.
- At 1:27, he gets beat off the line but has sufficient long speed to not only catch the WR, but also, as you said, find the ball.
- At 1:48, watch him once again have the feet to plant and drive. Again, maybe not the fastest WR, but it's a positive sign when a 6'+ corner can change direction like he flashes.
- At 3:14, he changes direction twice and sticks the WR fade. He also consistently tries to find the ball and high point or tip.

None of that means he'll be a star. They're just positive observations. We'll see what happens next when he gets here and faces consistently better competition. Anyway, it's better than seeing him struggle to change direction, unable to find the ball in the air, or use poor footwork/balance.

Last edited:
it's crazy how our biggest weakness turned into a strength

excellent, excellent get by the staff in these two guys Delaney and dean

Advertisement
Physicality is the only thing I think that will keep him off the field...He is not the greatest tackler...and Diaz said the 11 best tacklers will play... He has to get his strength up... I hope he is working on that as i type

Yup I think Dean looking at tape could be the best Pure Cover guy. But Physicality will be the biggest thing to determine his minutes.

For next year, Delaney is the key. Upgrading that one position by itself means we upgrade the entire backfield at each position.
Right. Especially since it made it even easier to move Redwine to FS. I'd feel better with a 4th Safety to Johnson, Redwine and Amari Carter, but I guess we can't have it all...yet.

I wonder how Finley did this spring?
Derrick smith is a sleeper too.
Rob knowles based on what diaz said seemed to have improved

Thought I saw Pete made the comment recently that Finley will be a non-factor this year, which kind of surprised me. Had hoped he might be a contributor. Still do, can never have too many.

I too thought Finley will emerge. He had excellent speed size and hitting ability coming out of high school

- At :13, he comes off his man in coverage nicely, something we mostly only saw Corn do last year (think of the FSU game)
- At :45, watch him take a poor step and change direction with ease, almost beating the WR's route to re-gain inside leverage. Now, against a top flight WR that may not work as well, but he'd still be sticky.
- At :53, he's well-balanced, reads the likely in-breaking post route, and is able to stay on the WR's hip at the top of the route. That could help us in certain blitz packages where the slot Corner ends up in man without help over the top.
- At 1:27, he gets beat off the line but has sufficient long speed to not only catch the WR, but also, as you said, find the ball.
- At 1:48, watch him once again have the feet to plant and drive. Again, maybe not the fastest WR, but it's a positive sign when a 6'+ corner can change direction like he flashes.
- At 3:14, he changes direction twice and sticks the WR fade. He also consistently tries to find the ball and high point or tip.

None of that means he'll be a star. They're just positive observations. We'll see what happens next when he gets here and faces consistently better competition. Anyway, it's better than seeing him struggle to change direction, unable to find the ball in the air, or use poor footwork/balance.

Excellent analysis, all the way around. I agree with the your entire post, especially when you referenced blitzing. I would also add that both Dean and Delaney's ability to recover quickly along with their natural instincts, is going to allow Diaz to be more creative/versatile with his blitz packages. Different position, but I would also throw Wilder in the mix as it relates to what he is going to bring to the table as it relates to blitz packages, expecially in nickle situations. Diaz is constantly making the point of what if our 5th DB is not as good as the 4th LB in certain packages. He's referenced Wilder bringing a skill set that none of our current linebackers offer at this time. I am not saying that I want Diaz to go blitz crazy like he has done in his previous stints. However, I think a conclusion can be drawn that with the personnel that we will have this year as opposed to last year, we will see a different Diaz in terms of blitzing, maybe not more often, but certainly more masquerade.

Advertisement
he got away with a lot of choppy technique on that video due to slow receivers and late throws, also due to his make up speed, coach him up!!

Excellent analysis, all the way around. I agree with the your entire post, especially when you referenced blitzing. I would also add that both Dean and Delaney's ability to recover quickly along with their natural instincts, is going to allow Diaz to be more creative/versatile with his blitz packages. Different position, but I would also throw Wilder in the mix as it relates to what he is going to bring to the table as it relates to blitz packages, expecially in nickle situations. Diaz is constantly making the point of what if our 5th DB is not as good as the 4th LB in certain packages. He's referenced Wilder bringing a skill set that none of our current linebackers offer at this time. I am not saying that I want Diaz to go blitz crazy like he has done in his previous stints. However, I think a conclusion can be drawn that with the personnel that we will have this year as opposed to last year, we will see a different Diaz in terms of blitzing, maybe not more often, but certainly more masquerade.

Hey Reg, it's not necessary to use the "reply with quote" when the post is just a couple of post away. Pretty sure most of us can figure out what you are agreeing with

Physicality is the only thing I think that will keep him off the field...He is not the greatest tackler...and Diaz said the 11 best tacklers will play... He has to get his strength up... I hope he is working on that as i type

That's the only question on him. And it's important because Diaz says tackling is number 1.

Advertisement
Impressive hips and feet. Looks like he has plus agility and overall athleticism. Bottom line: glad to have him.

Glad he's here. Not expecting anything superlative from him this year.

Our top 4-5 CBs are on a pretty level surface from the standpoint of potential.

That's the only question on him. And it's important because Diaz says tackling is number 1.

I have be honest, I'm worried about the kid putting in the necessary work to be successful at this level. If the reports are true that the kid was THIS close to going to ASU or wherever the **** it was, that's gotta make you question the kid's drive/mentality/mindset.

Advertisement

I have be honest, I'm worried about the kid putting in the necessary work to be successful at this level. If the reports are true that the kid was THIS close to going to ASU or wherever the **** it was, that's gotta make you question the kid's drive/mentality/mindset.

Yeah. That was really oddball **** right there. I'm not counting on anything from him because he's a slight guy who, from all accounts, isn't a tenacious tackler, and Diaz lists tackling as the most important factor for playing time with his DBs. He's got a load of athletic ability though.

Hopefully, he'll give us another good CB, but I think we already have 2 number 1 CBs in Delaney and Young. I think Young is going to be an absolute monster.

He is a definitely an A++ athlete. Probably the best one instantly in the secondary. I hope that they wouldnt have gone after him if they had questions about his tackling ability. Thats something that is hard to teach if you dont naturally have the desire to be a great tackler. Because there is no reason why this kid shouldnt see major minutes behind Delaney this year and prepare himself to be a starter in 2018 when we make our big run for it all.

Only concern I have with Dean is his size. His ears are wider than his shoulders. I am optimistic though, he certainly has the speed.

Advertisement
Back