James Williams late hit penalty Clemson and accountability

The old striker position seems like the perfect spot for him. I don’t think you want to turn him into a between-the-tackles thumper. His length causes a lot of problems in the passing game and he has a thinner frame.

The frustration is valid. He’s not playing like a five-star, Day 1-2 pick and he has consistently made dumb 15-yard penalties since he got here.

But the talk about running him off is an overreaction. There is a reason he plays more snaps than just about anybody on defense and special teams.

Advertisement
The old striker position seems like the perfect spot for him. I don’t think you want to turn him into a between-the-tackles thumper. His length causes a lot of problems in the passing game and he has a thinner frame.

The frustration is valid. He’s not playing like a five-star, Day 1-2 pick and he has consistently made dumb 15-yard penalties since he got here.

But the talk about running him off is an overreaction. There is a reason he plays more snaps than just about anybody on defense and special teams.
There is a reason he plays more snaps than just about anybody on defense and special teams.

Well, that's the problem. We need players capable of cutting into his snap count.

I’ve been told LB is very possible next year as a permanent move but I have some doubts he can even do that. I guess we’ll see.

Beef him up and move him to LB and make him compete for a spot

It’s clear we have no other options at Safety right now (Blades and Avantae suck). Outside of Kichens who looks like what a Miami safety should look like (ball skills, instincts, etc.)

JW has no twitch, takes bad angles and doesn’t know how to tackle

Beef him up and move him to LB and make him compete for a spot

It’s clear we have no other options at Safety right now (Blades and Avantae suck). Outside of Kichens who looks like what a Miami safety should look like (ball skills, instincts, etc.)

JW has no twitch, takes bad angles and doesn’t know how to tackle

And......the answer to that is to "beef" him up and move him to LB.....this is what i 100 percent never understand witht he folks wanting to move him to LB. It isnt a video game where you just add 10 pounds to him....Keontra Smith who played lb his whole hs career....got beefed up this year and looked like completed dog sh*t at lb because of the move and added weight. James has never played LB in his life...

Advertisement
I was shocked he stayed in there. Especially with how bad he's been playing.

I was actually expecting a late penalty on him on their QBs touchdown run when he was still trying to strip the ball 5 yards after the guy broke the plane.

Only possible explanation is that JW is a hard worker/strong leader off the field and he's in Mario's long term plans so he didn't want to shatter their relationship/confidence over a meaningless game? I'm not sure.. not advocating for that but it's always said that you don't treat all your players equally but you treat them all fairly. Maybe he's done enough to earn a longer leash and we just don't know what that is?
In reference to your “longer leash” comment, it’s the same long leash DJ Ivey and McCloud have had over every coach. But maybe the other safeties are trash or something. I thought we heard Balom was doing good during the off season? I haven’t seen him play a snap this year.

Yes, gotta keep him. Likely a four year guy. Probably wasn't physical as a SO in HS, but was more so as a SR? Maybe similar progression here?

Advertisement
And......the answer to that is to "beef" him up and move him to LB.....this is what i 100 percent never understand witht he folks wanting to move him to LB. It isnt a video game where you just add 10 pounds to him....Keontra Smith who played lb his whole hs career....got beefed up this year and looked like completed dog sh*t at lb because of the move and added weight. James has never played LB in his life...
classic CIS tbh.
if it were me...he's an in the box guy that can cover the slants and use his length...utilize his talents and stop asking him or even expecting him to do things he cant or dont wanna do

He actually is not playing bad at all. The missed tackles in space are a problem...But quite frankly for a 6'5 kid...We knew they were going to be a problem. But he does do some good things as well.

The penalties are ridiculous. The play against Clemson was so far out of bounds

How do you not bench him a series or 2 or rest of game given his history of these penalties combined with the blatant lateness and intent of that penalty. That's Diaz like right there.

Advertisement
Back