Jalen Grimble??

Advertisement
**** y'all. Give the kid a little time. We haven't even played games yet.

true. but the kid was way overrated by the recruiting sites (Rivals). it was obvious then and now

Actually Rivals is the one place that got it right more than say Scout. He started out a top 40 player nationally and by the time the final rankings came out he was a 4 star outside the 250. On Scout on the other hand he maintained as a 5 star prospect. BTW I though his film was not just underwhelming, it was awful. Against Vegas comp, all you saw was a bull rusher and over powering smaller players, and even in that it wasnt awe inspiring strength against once again Nevada comp.

It used to be that most kids were expected to be contributors by their junior year or RS soph. There are kids who are ready to play before that but it's ok if he's not one of them IMO. Hopefully, by his third year here in the UTough he'll have more strength to be a DT and be better technique wise.

Advertisement
DT and DB's coaches have the most bodies to sort out, by they are all young - Grimble playing last year shows where the program was last year - if he is forced to play again at 270??? now, it reflects how young or injury prone the vets are - he and RWilliams I think are genuine works in progress putting weight on this year - Holliet may be in the same boat next year - If Cain fizzles, Holliet and Mcord should get a crack, but hope they stay at 240/250

would be the end of the world if he just becomes a rotation-type of guy, eventually? Especially as the talent level is increased upfront? Not every can or needs to become Warren Sapp or Tez Kennedy

would be the end of the world if he just becomes a rotation-type of guy, eventually? Especially as the talent level is increased upfront? Not every can or needs to become Warren Sapp or Tez Kennedy
No it wouldn't hurt at all. You are right, not everyone can or has to become Jerome Brown or Vince Wilfork. If Grimble can become a Matt Walters type or a Bryan Pata(RIP) type that can provide depth and slide inside and out it will be just fine. No shame in being a coal shoveler.

I haven't seen enough of him to judge whether he's going to make a contribution here or not, but I do agree that he could have used a RS year.

Funny how we landed a 5 star DT and it was met with a resounding thud. Underwhelming highlight film and not too much to show so far but I think most predicted it would take him some time.

I would love to see him redshirt, it was a shame he was forced into the line-up last year IMO. Kid needs to get stronger and add some more size.

Advertisement
He got pushed around last year because he's not big enough. He was thrown into the mix because we were pretty desperate at that point. He should have redshirted for sure. I certainly see no reason to write him off as a coal shoveler yet. Give the kid time to grow. The deficiencies I saw last year are fixable by getting bigger and stronger. If you get a true freshman who can really contribute on the DL, you probably have a star in the making. It takes time. There are some big boys across the LOS from you.

Advertisement
Back