I've seen a lot of recruiting related pictures, but...

Advertisement
Pretty sure that Taylor's brother can give Bandy whatever the fck he wants as long as he's not a booster. Bandy's friends, as long as they are not UM boosters, can give him things and not incur the wrath of the NCAA. Otherwise, he'd get in trouble if his friend's mom bought him dinner.

Don't know if I'll see a more imposing S at Miami than Taylor....

It took a couple decades to find one more imposing than Blades....

When I think of a safety, I think of Taylor....

He made other NFL players look quite average....

Would have been a sure fire hall of famer....

At Miami?! PLs tell us where you have seen a more imposing S than ST.

The kid was unique. He could have played anywhere from CB to LB and been a HoFer. Probably at WR, RB or TE, too.

Advertisement
Sean Taylor's little brother earned himself a certified bagman card for securing this commitment for the U.

Bet I know who sent him too....

UKRIEKXNSLYVAKG.20160115012325.jpg

Pretty sure that Taylor's brother can give Bandy whatever the fck he wants as long as he's not a booster. Bandy's friends, as long as they are not UM boosters, can give him things and not incur the wrath of the NCAA. Otherwise, he'd get in trouble if his friend's mom bought him dinner.

I'm not sure your take is correct. Apparently the NCAA "bible" is super duper long and tedious. So what it says right now may not be what it said previously. Here is a helpful link. Violation or legal? Do you have what it takes to be an NCAA compliance officer? Here's your shot | cleveland.com

During dinner, a super fan of the local college basketball team notices a few of the players glued to the big-screen TV at a nearby sports bar. To show his appreciation, he buys them a pitcher of pop and an extra-large bucket of spicy wings. He's not an official booster.

Violation. The student-athletes should say "No, thank you" to the pop and wings. It would constitute an extra benefit because they would be receiving it because of their athletics status and because free wings and pop are not generally available to the public. Also, you could argue the person may not have been a booster before, but is one now. Per an NCAA bylaw, he "provided benefits to enrolled student-athletes." By triggering that status, he now retains it eternally.

That apparently applies to enrolled student athletes, so how would it relate to Bandy?

Role of Boosters | NCAA.org - The Official Site of the NCAA

If the jersey was worth $3k, I would def think it was an extra benefit if given to him to entice him to school.

The NCAA does some stupid ****. They are hypocritical in enforcing their rules.

I think Prior and Winston shouldn't have been the big deal they were. It cost * a national title appearance.

I'm not sure your take is correct. Apparently the NCAA "bible" is super duper long and tedious. So what it says right now may not be what it said previously. Here is a helpful link. Violation or legal? Do you have what it takes to be an NCAA compliance officer? Here's your shot | cleveland.com

During dinner, a super fan of the local college basketball team notices a few of the players glued to the big-screen TV at a nearby sports bar. To show his appreciation, he buys them a pitcher of pop and an extra-large bucket of spicy wings. He's not an official booster.

Violation. The student-athletes should say "No, thank you" to the pop and wings. It would constitute an extra benefit because they would be receiving it because of their athletics status and because free wings and pop are not generally available to the public. Also, you could argue the person may not have been a booster before, but is one now. Per an NCAA bylaw, he "provided benefits to enrolled student-athletes." By triggering that status, he now retains it eternally.

That apparently applies to enrolled student athletes, so how would it relate to Bandy?

If the jersey was worth $3k, I would def think it was an extra benefit if given to him to entice him to school.

I think Prior and Winston shouldn't have been the big deal they were. It cost * a national title appearance.

since he's still in high school, i think the most that could happen is him running into eligibility/amateur status issues for columbus. ncaa has no jurisdiction over him, and he's not officially ours until signing day/early enrollment.

It didn't entice him though, it was after he made his choice.

Advertisement

this plus you could claim it was a birthday gift or something couldn't you? It wasn't bought either, just happened to be "given" to him.

Look I don't think it belongs to Bandy now. However, if Jason Heyward gave a high school senior that was committed to Miami an autographed baseball that he, Brian Mac, Chipper, Freddie, and Frenchy signed that was valued at a grand, yes I think that is a violation.

It is ******* ridiculous that Johnny Football, Todd Gurley, and AJ Green all got in trouble for ******* signatures . . . their own ******* signatures. If Deon Sanders had given Devin Hester his game worn jersey from (you pick the game) after he committed to FSU, you all would cry foul. **** if Deon did that after he committed to Miami, and he flipped on NSD . . . you know!

Let me be clear, I don't think a violation happened. I wouldn't give some kid my dead brother's jersey bc he wanted to go to his school. I don't even think I could accept something like that to be honest! If however, Bandy now owns the jersey, then yes that seems like a violation.

this plus you could claim it was a birthday gift or something couldn't you? It wasn't bought either, just happened to be "given" to him.

If an Alabama native gave Jeudy's mom a great job promotion with some great benefits . . . you are okay with her just getting that promo bc her winning personality on the phone is second to none?

I think most people on this board would raise **** if a recruit got a game used jersey of a great player. ****, at one point in time we had to stop giving recruits jerseys with their names on them and announcing their names running out of the tunnel of the Orange Bowl on RECRUITING TRIPS.

Im not surprised folks are taking Bandy's side. Im not surprised people don't think he violated the rules. I am surprised no one thinks it would be a violation.

Advertisement

If an Alabama native gave Jeudy's mom a great job promotion with some great benefits . . . you are okay with her just getting that promo bc her winning personality on the phone is second to none?

I think most people on this board would raise **** if a recruit got a game used jersey of a great player. ****, at one point in time we had to stop giving recruits jerseys with their names on them and announcing their names running out of the tunnel of the Orange Bowl on RECRUITING TRIPS.

Im not surprised folks are taking Bandy's side. Im not surprised people don't think he violated the rules. I am surprised no one thinks it would be a violation.

Those are all things associated with the schools. Taylor's little brother isn't committed to the college and supposedly their family are friends. This isn't Miami buying him a $3k jersey this is his friend giving him something.

This isn't a job and moving expenses either, this a jersey.

Those are all things associated with the schools. Taylor's little brother isn't committed to the college and supposedly their family are friends. This isn't Miami buying him a $3k jersey this is his friend giving him something.

I hear ya. If Jameis Winston's little bro gave Perry JW's game worn national title game jersey, come on . . . I haven't ever gotten a 3k jersey from a friend!!

Advertisement

I hear ya. If Jameis Winston's little bro gave Perry JW's game worn national title game jersey, come on . . . I haven't ever gotten a 3k jersey from a friend!!

Find better friends? I am not sure what to tell you but unless the Taylor family is currently involved with the college this is a non issue. Who is also to say Bandy didn't give it back after pictures. I am not sure how giving a long time friend a congratulations gift is an NCAA violation. The school wasn't involved.

Look, all I'm looking at is the language in which this occurred. Had little Taylor purchased said jersey and handed it to him, then yes I'd be a bit iffy at best on it. BUT the jersey wasn't purchased. Yes it's worth a hefty sum of money, but if Taylor and Bandy are friends and it wasn't purchased, how do you prove it's given to him based on his athletic merit/exploits not as a "hey look I know you're a huge fan of Sean, and honestly I just can't wear it or my family thought it would be a nice treat for you since we're so close" situations?

Also Pryor, Gurley, Manziel, and Green were accused of selling goods that they were signing. Making money off of their player likeliness, which is prohibited by the NCAA.

And in regards to your Heyward thing, ok cool where did he give the player the ball? Was the kid at a Marlins Cubs game? And happened to get his attention and get a bunch of autographs on the ball from other players? Violation just because he happens to be committed to Miami? Or just because the ball is valuable. If you're trying to tell me that's a violation, then any kid who's caught gloves after a football game is getting illegal benefits and being recruited to athletes previous school.

Look, all I'm looking at is the language in which this occurred. Had little Taylor purchased said jersey and handed it to him, then yes I'd be a bit iffy at best on it. BUT the jersey wasn't purchased. Yes it's worth a hefty sum of money, but if Taylor and Bandy are friends and it wasn't purchased, how do you prove it's given to him based on his athletic merit/exploits not as a "hey look I know you're a huge fan of Sean, and honestly I just can't wear it or my family thought it would be a nice treat for you since we're so close" situations?

Also Pryor, Gurley, Manziel, and Green were accused of selling goods that they were signing. Making money off of their player likeliness, which is prohibited by the NCAA.

And in regards to your Heyward thing, ok cool where did he give the player the ball? Was the kid at a Marlins Cubs game? And happened to get his attention and get a bunch of autographs on the ball from other players? Violation just because he happens to be committed to Miami? Or just because the ball is valuable. If you're trying to tell me that's a violation, then any kid who's caught gloves after a football game is getting illegal benefits and being recruited to athletes previous school.

I don't think Bandy owns the jersey. I think he wore it. I can see what you are saying about purchasing the jersey. Its like Richard Pryor in Brewster's Millions buying a 2.5 million dollar stamp and mailing it. There is value, but it is just a stamp/game worn jersey!

I think we probably would agree about many of the issues at hand. I think where we differ is I think the NCAA would nail a lot of schools for this type of thing, namely us. You see a family sharing with a family friend. I see the value at $3k and see a family helping a kid . . . I know Michael Oher (sp) was in a similarish, but different situation. I think the NCAA with all its ****ed up rules, this would seemingly be a violation . . .if Bandy now owns the jersey.

I don't think Bandy owns the jersey. I think he wore it. I can see what you are saying about purchasing the jersey. Its like Richard Pryor in Brewster's Millions buying a 2.5 million dollar stamp and mailing it. There is value, but it is just a stamp/game worn jersey!

I think we probably would agree about many of the issues at hand. I think where we differ is I think the NCAA would nail a lot of schools for this type of thing, namely us. You see a family sharing with a family friend. I see the value at $3k and see a family helping a kid . . . I know Michael Oher (sp) was in a similarish, but different situation. I think the NCAA with all its ****ed up rules, this would seemingly be a violation . . .if Bandy now owns the jersey.

Exactly, it's all a point of view/reference kind of thing. Going back to your point with Juedy's mom, if it were to happen everyone would be up in arms yes but how could it be truly proven that it's because of Jeudy going to Alabama. I also think there is flaws there too, what if his mom does decided to move to Bama for four years and gets a job. If the manager knows who she is and who her son is, does he have to say sorry ma'am I can't hire you because your son is Jerry Jeudy? What if she's extremely qualified? It's dumb. I don't see any of the Bandy stuff as an issue. Don't think a violation has occurred.

Advertisement
Back