Ivan Cruz

Missing him hurt us against FSU but in a scenario like VT, do you even play him or just let him rest and get him ready for UNC? Izundu held his own pretty decently against FSU's bigs and VT doesnt seem to have a player over 6'10. So maybe rely on Kamari, Izundu and Jekiri to get the win Wednesday to ensure we get Ivan back for Saturday or do you play him (if he is able) to ensure he's not rusty?

Advertisement
I mean if he is feeling completely better, then by all means play him. That would be a pretty long flu if he still has it. But I see no harm in resting him if need be. It is also valuable PT and development time for Izundu. He needs to hold his own in case of injury to Uceda/Jekiri

He was/is sick, he didn't have an ankle sprain. If he's healthy, you play him.
This.

I like his shooting from deep, but he's got to show more initiative defensively and on the boards. When he doesn't play with energy and is too careful/soft, he's an instant buzzkill to our momentum when he checks in.

Coach L needs to take this opportunity to point out to ICU that Izundu is just a Freshman and is playing at a much higher energy level than ICU has this season. He's got to step it up, or watch his minutes go to someone else.

One good thing about ICU being out is seeing that Izundu is capable, at least in limited minutes. If two good things can come out of this like ICU stepping his game up for this run to end the regular season and into the postseason...I'd be tickled.

This.

I like his shooting from deep, but he's got to show more initiative defensively and on the boards. When he doesn't play with energy and is too careful/soft, he's an instant buzzkill to our momentum when he checks in.

Coach L needs to take this opportunity to point out to ICU that Izundu is just a Freshman and is playing at a much higher energy level than ICU has this season. He's got to step it up, or watch his minutes go to someone else.

One good thing about ICU being out is seeing that Izundu is capable, at least in limited minutes. If two good things can come out of this like ICU stepping his game up for this run to end the regular season and into the postseason...I'd be tickled.

ICU is a defensive liability and is one dimensional on offense.

At this point, I'd rather give Izundu more PT than ICU.

Advertisement
ICU is lethal from 3 pt range. He has such a quick release and has shot it great this season. Over the last few games he has missed more but that's because he's gone cold and is getting less playing time which makes it harder to be consistent.

We need ICU though because he is a zone killer. A lot of teams are starting to play zone on us and at times we struggle with it. You beat the zone by having someone capable of scoring in the high post and by 3 pt shooting. ICU is the only big who can be effective from the high post because he could consistently hit that 15 ft jump shot. He's also our best 3 pt shooter.

He tends to be soft at times down low on defense and rebounding but I've seen flashes where he can get the job done when needed.

This.

ICU is a defensive liability and is one dimensional on offense.

At this point, I'd rather give Izundu more PT than ICU.

I agree. Uceda is more crucial offensively and warm body wise on defense, but Izundu needs all the work he can get for next year...not to mention a stellar S&C offseason.

UM

I like Izundu, but now is not the time to develop for the future. He'll get reps during the summer. ICU is not great defensively, but he understands the scheme, he's usually in the right place, he rebounds well when he gets good position. And, on offense he's a good to very good passer and his 3 point shooting is critical. If he's healthy, I'd play him tonight to get him back in the flow. He's critical versus Virginia.

Advertisement
Uceda is a massive disappointment in a season where mostly everything has gone very well.

Hard to tell what's wrong with him- last season he chipped in here and there and teased that he could become a weapon with more development time, but now he's just completely overmatched by basically every front court player he's asked to defend or box out.

I like Izundu, but now is not the time to develop for the future. He'll get reps during the summer. ICU is not great defensively, but he understands the scheme, he's usually in the right place, he rebounds well when he gets good position. And, on offense he's a good to very good passer and his 3 point shooting is critical. If he's healthy, I'd play him tonight to get him back in the flow. He's critical versus Virginia.

Still looking for this "usually in the right place" and "rebounds well" you speak of...yet to see it.

He definitely gets a pass from me for being rusty after the flu, and glad he got some work b4 UNC, but when it comes to positioning, rebounding and defense...I'm not sure what your watching.

When he's in there without Jekiri, the second / third chance trash points on the defensive end are mind boggling. I'm not sure they even bother trying to emphasize boxing out with this dude....he just kind of hangs around.

UM

Advertisement
Advertisement
Looking forward to the Aussie, his 3'$ are awesome and his passing assists are as if he has eyes in the back of his head.

Imagine this team with Sherman as the second big. There would be no notable weakness.

Yep. He is the one transfer that really would have helped this team.

We would lose some size but Manu or Burnett would have played some instead of Palmer or Lawrence in games that we just couldnt score

Manu's shooting would have helped

Manu and Burnett don't bring anything that we don't already have. Sherman does.

Advertisement
Back