is Lepore done for the season?

Not worried about Mediavilla. 11-1 ERA in the 3's, not as confident in Garcia.

Midtown is solid. Having watched UF the past two weekend, he wouldn't sniff a weekend start for them this year. I haven't seen much of the other Omaha bound teams, but I would be surprised if our starting pitching compared favorably with most of them.

He's been better than AJ Puk all year long.

No he hasn't. And nobody is starting Midtown over AJ Puk anyway.

Ugh ya he definitely has. Puk has been pretty underwhelming the second half of the season.

He's made it into the 7th once in his last seven starts. Medavilla has given us 25 more innings with only one more total start than Puk. The guy cannot throw strikes.

Advertisement
People hype Puk because of his tools and size, but Shore and Faedo carry that staff. Both of those guys rack up innings while squandering the same amount of runs per game, or almost a full run less per game in Shore's case.

Not worried about Mediavilla. 11-1 ERA in the 3's, not as confident in Garcia.

Midtown is solid. Having watched UF the past two weekend, he wouldn't sniff a weekend start for them this year. I haven't seen much of the other Omaha bound teams, but I would be surprised if our starting pitching compared favorably with most of them.

Ugh ya he definitely has. Puk has been pretty underwhelming the second half of the season.

He's made it into the 7th once in his last seven starts. Medavilla has given us 25 more innings with only one more total start than Puk. The guy cannot throw strikes.

You can look up the stats yourself, but Puk's WHIP is 1.19 with over 12K's per 9, opponents hitting .191 against him. Midtown is a solid workhorse, but not in Puk's league in terms of stuff.

Pitching is not always about how fast you can throw....its more about keeping the hitters off balance. Which is why a good to great change up is the best pitch in baseball especially if you can hit your spots. I would take a pitcher who can hit spots and change speeds all day any day over a guy that can throw heat. The less pitches a pitcher throws is better for the team. Get the defense off the field.

There is no way that a change up is the best pitch in baseball. A hard thrown well located fastball with late action or good movement on it is the best pitch in baseball, which is why fastballs account for over 50% of all pitches thrown in the majors. The fastball is far and away the best pitch in baseball, i.e Zach Britton's sinker which is arguably the best pitch now or back in the day when it was Mo Rivera's cutter.

The guys who led baseball in all time K's Randy Johnson and Nolan Ryan, threw the ball exceptionally hard with great control. Besides a change up is predicated on you having a good fastball.

People hype Puk because of his tools and size, but Shore and Faedo carry that staff. Both of those guys rack up innings while squandering the same amount of runs per game, or almost a full run less per game in Shore's case.

You'll get no argument from me about Shore and Faedo being the anchors of the UF staff. I wasn't comparing the 3 Gator arms. I was saying that Midtown wouldn't start ahead of any of them.

Advertisement
Our starters are good enough to win.It is our middle relief pitchers-other than Bartow- that worry me.

You can look up the stats yourself, but Puk's WHIP is 1.19 with over 12K's per 9, opponents hitting .191 against him. Midtown is a solid workhorse, but not in Puk's league in terms of stuff.

Puk's stuff is a lot better, that's not debatable, but he hasn't put it together all season. The guy struggles to make it into the 5th inning. He's averaging close to 4.2 innings a start. That's pretty bad. That forces the pen to eat a ton of innings. UF is deep as **** and can handle it, reverse situations, if Puk was logging those #'s for us we'd be in trouble. You'd be relying on guys like Guerra and Meyer to pitch in serious moments.

Puk's stuff is a lot better, that's not debatable, but he hasn't put it together all season. The guy struggles to make it into the 5th inning. He's averaging close to 4.2 innings a start. That's pretty bad. That forces the pen to eat a ton of innings. UF is deep as **** and can handle it, reverse situations, if Puk was logging those #'s for us we'd be in trouble. You'd be relying on guys like Guerra and Meyer to pitch in serious moments.

He hasn't gone deep in games, but a WHIP of 1.19 is more than solid.

Advertisement
Our starters aren't dominant or have electric stuff, but we play outstanding defense and we usually limit walks. Getting people out and keeping folks off the bags usually helps when you have guys that aren't blowing mid-90's.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We are -150 tonight against Zona.

I don't feel like there is a great gauge for what we will see tonight. I guess I expect a solid start tonight from Midtown! The bats. The bats I really wonder about. I think the D will be there. But those bats. After lots of thought about the lineup I'm not sure I would change a whole lot. I prefer to be in situations where we don't need to bunt a whole lot. I mean who wants to be in a low scoring one run game scenario? Not me, I prefer idk, 11-0 us after 4 innings!

i don't have any stats in front of me, but how often do hot Super bats go Omaha cold? Ever happen to arms?

We are -150 tonight against Zona.

I don't feel like there is a great gauge for what we will see tonight. I guess I expect a solid start tonight from Midtown! The bats. The bats I really wonder about. I think the D will be there. But those bats. After lots of thought about the lineup I'm not sure I would change a whole lot. I prefer to be in situations where we don't need to bunt a whole lot. I mean who wants to be in a low scoring one run game scenario? Not me, I prefer idk, 11-0 us after 4 innings!

i don't have any stats in front of me, but how often do hot Super bats go Omaha cold? Ever happen to arms?

It is a big ball park.We are built to win there with small ball and bunts.Tailor made for us

We are not going to change the way we play. I am sure if we get the leadoff man on we will bunt unless Zack is up.

Advertisement
Our starters are good enough to win.It is our middle relief pitchers-other than Bartow- that worry me.

Nope. Injuries decimated our pitching this year (starters and relievers). Next year is looking much better. Hopefully no more Friday starts from Midweek.

Advertisement
Back