Is it safe to say Lonnie Walker will be back next year?

I only follow the NBA at the draft level in a cursory manner so can someone explain the rookie contract $ differential in going as a lottery pick vs going as a late 1st rounder? I do remember when the NBA players restructured the salary system in one of their collective bargaining agreements so as to stop "overpaying" rookies and to disperse that cap money back to the vets.

I didn't know how it worked either, so I did some research. The NBA has a rookie scale for each slot in the 1st round. The team can pay anywhere between 80-120% of the scale number. For the 2017 draft, pick #1 was slotted at about $5.9 million for year 1 of contract, $6.9 million for year 2 of contract, and $8.1 million for year 3 of contract. The 17th pick (roughly where draftnicks are projecting both Brown and IV at this point) was slotted at $1.8 million for year 1, $2.1 million for year 2, and $2.5 million for year 3. Long story short, the difference is enormous between the first pick and mid-first round pick.

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/rookie_scale

Advertisement
Nothing really unique about a 6'4" - 6'5" guy who can jump through the roof. 15 or 20 come out of high school every year. LW needs to show domination at this level to be a first round pick. Think Dequan Jones. 6'7" who could jump through the roof.

I still think by years end Huell will be heading to the NBA because athletic 6'10" guys with offense are not easy to find.

You are correct that there are plenty of athletes who can jump through the roof. But Walker can jump through the roof but is also very skilled at his age along with having touch. It's going to be very easy for him to develop into a dynamic scorer in the NBA with these attributes.

If it would be very easy for him to develop into a dynamic scorer in the NBA, wouldn't he have been able to do that in college already?

I only follow the NBA at the draft level in a cursory manner so can someone explain the rookie contract $ differential in going as a lottery pick vs going as a late 1st rounder? I do remember when the NBA players restructured the salary system in one of their collective bargaining agreements so as to stop "overpaying" rookies and to disperse that cap money back to the vets.

I didn't know how it worked either, so I did some research. The NBA has a rookie scale for each slot in the 1st round. The team can pay anywhere between 80-120% of the scale number. For the 2017 draft, pick #1 was slotted at about $5.9 million for year 1 of contract, $6.9 million for year 2 of contract, and $8.1 million for year 3 of contract. The 17th pick (roughly where draftnicks are projecting both Brown and IV at this point) was slotted at $1.8 million for year 1, $2.1 million for year 2, and $2.5 million for year 3. Long story short, the difference is enormous between the first pick and mid-first round pick.

Good stuff. Thanks for looking it up. $6+ mil guaranteed is nothing to laugh at in that high teen pick range but here's to at least one of them thinking they can crack the top ten by coming back and really cash in (if they're still projected around that 17/18 spot at the end of the year).

Good stuff. Thanks for looking it up. $6+ mil guaranteed is nothing to laugh at in that high teen pick range but here's to at least one of them thinking they can crack the top ten by coming back and really cash in (if they're still projected around that 17/18 spot at the end of the year).

I have a feeling Bruce will go and Lonnie will stay.

This was written by Bleacher Report before the season started. Not exactly how it has played out but their point may still be valid about Lonnie.

"JaQuan Newton and Bruce Brown should ultimately take pressure off Walker at Miami and lead to a simpler shot selection for the freshman—the way Dwayne Bacon and Xavier Rathan-Mayes did for Jonathan Isaac at Florida State, where he only took eight shots a game and was still drafted sixth after selling his tools/bounce, efficiency and potential to break out.

Advertisement
Nothing really unique about a 6'4" - 6'5" guy who can jump through the roof. 15 or 20 come out of high school every year. LW needs to show domination at this level to be a first round pick. Think Dequan Jones. 6'7" who could jump through the roof.

I still think by years end Huell will be heading to the NBA because athletic 6'10" guys with offense are not easy to find.

You are correct that there are plenty of athletes who can jump through the roof. But Walker can jump through the roof but is also very skilled at his age along with having touch. It's going to be very easy for him to develop into a dynamic scorer in the NBA with these attributes.

If it would be very easy for him to develop into a dynamic scorer in the NBA, wouldn't he have been able to do that in college already?

No. He's 18. Your scoring ability evolves over time. He was out of commission for 3 months with a knee injury to start. It takes time to transition from the best player by far on your team to a team full of good players and now you are a role player with no experience. It also takes time to get use to the speed of the next level. And it's the same when college players go to the NBA. It takes years for them to develop to be consistent scorers in the NBA. It's obvious that Lonnie is getting more comfortable each game and becoming a more consistent scorer.

He has already shown he has the ability to be a dynamic scorer. He can create his own shot, can drive and finish with both hands, and has a decent shot which will get better over time. You know a lot about the team and I always enjoy talking bball with you. But this last question is way to simple minded.

No. He's 18. Your scoring ability evolves over time. He was out of commission for 3 months with a knee injury to start. It takes time to transition from the best player by far on your team to a team full of good players and now you are a role player with no experience. It also takes time to get use to the speed of the next level. And it's the same when college players go to the NBA. It takes years for them to develop to be consistent scorers in the NBA. It's obvious that Lonnie is getting more comfortable each game and becoming a more consistent scorer.

He has already shown he has the ability to be a dynamic scorer. He can create his own shot, can drive and finish with both hands, and has a decent shot which will get better over time. You know a lot about the team and I always enjoy talking bball with you. But this last question is way to simple minded.

I'm not bashing the kid because I admittingly know little about basketball, but your response seems pretty inaccurate based solely on the number of high quality Freshman we see every year come in and tear it up right out of the gate. Perhaps my expectations were too high based on the hype surrounding him prior to his arrival.

I'm not bashing the kid because I admittingly know little about basketball, but your response seems pretty inaccurate based solely on the number of high quality Freshman we see every year come in and tear it up right out of the gate. Perhaps my expectations were too high based on the hype surrounding him prior to his arrival.

My point is just because he isn't scoring a ton of points his freshmen year does not mean he can't easily develop into a dynamic scorer in the NBA. Of course there are freshmen who come in and tear it up. Those players are more polished than Lonnie right now. But just because they can score better now does not mean they will be better scorers in a few years in the NBA. The NBA and college games are different. NBA is more wide open. The most important thing for a guard is to have the ability to create their own shot. He has that ability along with many other attributes that NBA scouts look for.

New take. Walker is heading to the NBA, Brown will stay unless there are financial pressures I'm not aware of and Huell will return but should start to draw mid-second round interest. After tonight's game versus Louisville, it was clear that Walker has started to adjust and his average won't matter so much as his play in big games. He can get to the rim against most guards and finishes exceptionally -- one of two major differences between Brown and LW. Unlike BB, LW finishes better and he shoots the ball much better. Scouts that see performances like tonight will explain his low average as due to the injuries or Coach L. If he continues to trend up and plays well in big games, unfortunately, LW will be a first rounder. His shooting ability really separates him from guys like Dejuan Jones or Derrick Jones, Jr.

BB has NBA skills in his rebounding and, at times, in his defense. He can be a player like a Bruce Bowen who specializes in defense and eventually develops a shot. BB's shooting touch is non-existent and, if anything, he has regressed in this department. I don't see him being drafted 19th. If he were to declare, he's a second round pick.

Dewan Huell has emerged as a nice low post player, but he's far from a finished product. He needs to prove he can get to the rim, that he has a mid-range, baseline jumper and that he can finish better than he has. If he can nail down that baby hook that Izundu and he are being taught, his stock will rise. He's also not a good rim protector or an above-average rebounder, two skills that must improve. Right now, Huell is correctly not high among NBA scouts, but with a year of growth and development, Huell might be a surprise next season.

Just my $.02.

Advertisement

If you knew basketball you would have seen his flashes of dominance even when he wasn't scoring 15+ in a game.

If you knew basketball you would have seen his flashes of dominance even when he wasn't scoring 15+ in a game.

Exactly what I've been trying to tell people on this board over and over. Is there anyone after his performance tonight who has changed their mind and think he is a lottery pick? The funny thing is I know if he has a decent or bad game against FSU you'll have people on the board say this is why he's not a lottery pick. I don't think it really matters how much Lonnie scores from here. He's shown plenty of flashes and now has a game where he put it all together. He'll have plenty of more highlights plays over the next couple of months too. He's by far the most talented player we've ever had and we need to start moving the ball around and playing better so we can take advantage of having a talent like this on our team.

Exactly what I've been trying to tell people on this board over and over. Is there anyone after his performance tonight who has changed their mind and think he is a lottery pick? The funny thing is I know if he has a decent or bad game against FSU you'll have people on the board say this is why he's not a lottery pick. I don't think it really matters how much Lonnie scores from here. He's shown plenty of flashes and now has a game where he put it all together. He'll have plenty of more highlights plays over the next couple of months too. He's by far the most talented player we've ever had and we need to start moving the ball around and playing better so we can take advantage of having a talent like this on our team.

I'm not sure I agree. Consistency matters when you're talking lottery. Not saying he won't go late first round. But if he proves to be sometimey he won't go in the lottery.

This game made me a believer but not because of the scoring output. This was not LW highest scoring game this year. He just finally dominated the other guys. He scored on a legit shot blocker when we had to have it, made clutch shots and defensive plays, scored under serious duress. He did everything you want a baller to do when it was difficult to do it. He now just has to show that he is trending up.

Lmao it's just like people are now saying Bruce won't leave because he had a bad game this game. Wtf haha. Some people don't know basketball at all. One dude was trying to tell me that it's impossible for a player to improve his free throw percentage. We are posting with some of the dumbest fans in all of sports.

Advertisement
Lonnie is starting to look every bit like a lottery pick, but I think that him staying a year would be the difference between him being a end of the lottery pick, and being a no doubt top 4 pick. BB isn't going anywhere, nor is Huell, Walker is the only guy with a legit choice. I think teams will fall in love with him at the Combine, his athleticism and shooting ability will draw interest. I don't know how Lonnie feels about school, but you don't want to be a guy drafted at the end of the lottery, the team you are with will most likely be close to the playoffs(truly awful teams rarely draft at the bottom of the lottery), so that means limited minutes for your development. Get the minutes here, develop, and when you are drafted, teams will truly invest in you.

I don’t know what Lonnie will do, but he loves school. Values education. If he were my son I’d tell him to go.

Next year the top 3 kids are all legit overall number one picks in most years. I’d get out now if I were him. Even though I know he loves it down there

Don’t forget. This is a kid who played at his local public HS. To show loyalty and play with his friends.

One of the few that didn’t go the prep school route

Advertisement
I don’t know what Lonnie will do, but he loves school. Values education. If he were my son I’d tell him to go.

Next year the top 3 kids are all legit overall number one picks in most years. I’d get out now if I were him. Even though I know he loves it down there

Don’t forget. This is a kid who played at his local public HS. To show loyalty and play with his friends.

One of the few that didn’t go the prep school route

He wanted to win his school a championship. Can you imagine if that's his goal with us?

If he stays for 3 or 4 years he could make us a consistent big time program.

I really love watching him play. But man his team mates got to play as hard as he does. Today's game was frustrating. If just one guy plays defense at a high level we win at FSU. But no one stepped up to be that guy. He isn't going to stay for 4 years of this - he is a winner, knows how to win, knows who isn't doing the job and isn't going to be associated with a team that doesn't compete at the highest level. FSU is good but this Canes team is so much better.

Advertisement
Back