Is it safe to say Lonnie Walker will be back next year?

Advertisement
Always the chance the light goes on the later in the season/in the tournament and he plays up to his talent/hype. Right now though, Huell looks like a more likely candidate to declare early.

He's not transferring to FSU, so.....Just kidding. No, it's not certain at all, but he sure doesn't look like a first round pick, let alone lottery pick, or even a D-League (or whatever they call it now) player right now. This the NBA though. He could average 25 points per game and we could make a Final Four run and that would probably be all the NBA scouts would need.

Advertisement
SI mock draft has IV and Brown going at 16 and 17 respectively. :noidea:

Before the season most mocks had IV going in the lottery, as high as 7 or 8. I wonder if he keeps slipping if this play continues. Brown has stayed about the same.

NBAdraft.net has Walker at 16 and Brown at 28
Sporting News has Walker at 16 and Brown at 17
NBC Sports has Walker at 8 (article as no date)

Huell is not on anyone's radar

Last edited:

Although he has improved tremendously and is our most consistent player, I don't think he is close to being a first round pick. Even if he continues these numbers for the rest of the season, I don't think he is close to a first round pick.

The name I keep coming back to is John Collins from last year.

Lonnie is probably gone regardless, even though I don't think he's near ready. His offense is very raw, he's just depending on great athletic ability. At the next level majority of the guys have great athletic ability.

Maybe coach L can help beat that into his head, one and done might have him overseas after first contract.

Last edited:
Advertisement
2018 NBA Mock Draft: Would Deandre Ayton, Trae Young or Luka Doncic Go No. 1? | Bleacher Report

The newest mock draft on bleacher report(which only does the first round) from today has Bruce 17 and omitted Lonnie for the first time this season. Here is the excerpt on Lonnie from the article:

Left Off

Lonnie Walker IV (Miami, SG, Freshman)

Walker hasn't been involved enough, having finished with single digits in scoring during six of Miami's last eight games. He's still a first-round talent based on his tools, athleticism and jumper, but he'll have a better chance to showcase everything next year, when Ja'Quan Newton and (presumably) Bruce Brown Jr. will have left.

I'm not saying Lonnie doesn't have the capability to catapult himself into the lottery this year, but it would take strong team success, a deep run in the tourney, and a noticeable spike in Lonnie's stats and production for him to be able to squeak into the early-mid first, and I don't think Lonnie would bolt to the NBA if he is a projected late 1st-early 2nd, which is where I think he'd be if the draft were today, mostly because this draft class is so **** deep. In my opinion, if the season ended today, Lonnie would stay another year cause he hasn't proven enough yet to warrant the hype he got coming in. It would take a super strong showing in the second half of the season (16 ppg, 6 reb, 2 ast 46% FG 38% 3Pt ballpark kinda stat line) for him to have a strong case to leave.

I think Walker will leave no matter what he does the remainder of the season. Just my instincts. When he makes a 3 pointer or big dunk out there his body language and facial expressions reveal a kid who thinks he is on the different level than everyone else on the court.

Then on a standard possession he has no idea what's going on.

Lonnie continues to show more flashes every game. He will keep improving and as a result will leave and will most likely be a lottery pick. Plenty of scouts saw him in person yesterday and it's obvious the guy is on another level and has so much raw potential. Even though his shot isn't consistent, you can see he has touch and that's all the NBA teams need him to have. His shot will develop. His athleticism is through the roof and he can finish with both hands in traffic at full speed. And he's got good size. He screams lottery pick to me.

Whether Walker or Brown, should or shouldn't leave really isn't the point (see McIntosh and Norton). I don't expect either to come back. But, as for Huell, I don't know where exactly he'd go. I have yet to see a mock draft or scouting report, or anything even mention his name.

Advertisement
Being ready for nba not the issue. Issue is when various agents hook on to him and try to convince him that he is ready for nba. If he turns them down and decides to stay he better be sure that he did not violate any ncaa bylaws. Not a good scenario to comprehend.

Although he has improved tremendously and is our most consistent player, I don't think he is close to being a first round pick. Even if he continues these numbers for the rest of the season, I don't think he is close to a first round pick.

Do you really think Lonnie is "more consistent" than Huell? Not saying Huell's better but ... if anything, he's been consistent whereas LW has not. Also, I don't particularly get excited about 6-17 shooting consistency (a least one of those in garbage time) in the biggest game of the year to date.

Last edited:

Do you really think Lonnie is "more consistent" than Huell? Not saying Huell's better but ... if anything, he's been consistent whereas LW has not. Also, I don't particularly get excited about 6-17 shooting consistency (a least one of those in garbage time) in the biggest game of the year to date.

The post above is about Huell. Walker isn't mentioned at all.

Advertisement
Nothing really unique about a 6'4" - 6'5" guy who can jump through the roof. 15 or 20 come out of high school every year. LW needs to show domination at this level to be a first round pick. Think Dequan Jones. 6'7" who could jump through the roof.

I still think by years end Huell will be heading to the NBA because athletic 6'10" guys with offense are not easy to find.

From the Herald:

ESPN has freshman guard Lonnie Walker 17th and sophomore guard Bruce Brown 19th on its updated NBA draft board, even though Brown has struggled offensively all season and Walker’s play has been uneven.

I only follow the NBA at the draft level in a cursory manner so can someone explain the rookie contract $ differential in going as a lottery pick vs going as a late 1st rounder? I do remember when the NBA players restructured the salary system in one of their collective bargaining agreements so as to stop "overpaying" rookies and to disperse that cap money back to the vets.

Nothing really unique about a 6'4" - 6'5" guy who can jump through the roof. 15 or 20 come out of high school every year. LW needs to show domination at this level to be a first round pick. Think Dequan Jones. 6'7" who could jump through the roof.

I still think by years end Huell will be heading to the NBA because athletic 6'10" guys with offense are not easy to find.

You are correct that there are plenty of athletes who can jump through the roof. But Walker can jump through the roof but is also very skilled at his age along with having touch. It's going to be very easy for him to develop into a dynamic scorer in the NBA with these attributes.

Advertisement
Back