Interesting stat via SOTU

and keep in mind I want to say they played like 12 weeks straight too. I think that gets lost in the argument. 12 weeks straight, with an offense that can't stay on the field. That Herculean effort on the Defense part. Who ever pulled tackling as a point of emphasis was correct. The tackling was terrible, but we were A1 when it came to creating turnovers.

Advertisement
Our D could have done a better job on 3rd downs. My problem is the O kept putting them back on the field so often by not converting 3rd downs. It does wear on a D being thrown back out there time after time. How often did the D get a turnover, only to have the O do nothing with it?

This was mentioned several times on the broadcasts. Miami was among the worst in the country in converting turnovers to points. Even games like the ND game, which was complete domination, the offense left SO many points on the board. That’s game really should’ve been 35-0 at the half, if not worse

This was mentioned several times on the broadcasts. Miami was among the worst in the country in converting turnovers to points. Even games like the ND game, which was complete domination, the offense left SO many points on the board. That’s game really should’ve been 35-0 at the half, if not worse
We put up 41 points(34 points) could have been worse if we didn’t choose to run it every play in the second half

This has been talked about at length on multiple threads. The defense massively struggled, especially at the end of the year, on 3rd downs. That needs to be improved immediately and I'm sure everyone agrees there. But, yards per play is a much better measure of defensive performance than total yards.

And, I'm not even going to get into another 4 page debate on how disproportionate our offensive 3 and outs were last season. Brutal.

Advertisement

Malik had some terrible INTs in that game that hurt us as well.

Our 3rd down defense ranking (75th) is a success/failure percentage, not a volume statistic. Not sure if that phrase sounded like a smart saying in your head, but their time of possession is not reflected in this metric.

Nobody is going to deny that the offense couldn't have helped them more by extending more drives and lowering the number of possessions, but that doesn't take away that Manny's defense was factually bad on third down independent of the offense.

You ever think that because of the offenses ineptitude it caused opposing defenses to keep a much more open playbook preventing the defense from really pinning their ears back?

True, Manny should have tweaked his philosophy a bit to cater to the offense but why? Why cant the offense cater to our defensive style?

Imagine if our aggressive defense was able to pin their ears back on a team because we had a lead? Notre Dame is what happens. Look what we did playing close in every game

They wouldn't be able to get away with not calling holding penalties because ITd be Turnover chain city!!!

You ever think that because of the offenses ineptitude it caused opposing defenses to keep a much more open playbook preventing the defense from really pinning their ears back?

True, Manny should have tweaked his philosophy a bit to cater to the offense but why? Why cant the offense cater to our defensive style?

Imagine if our aggressive defense was able to pin their ears back on a team because we had a lead? Notre Dame is what happens. Look what we did playing close in every game

They wouldn't be able to get away with not calling holding penalties because ITd be Turnover chain city!!!

Look what we did playing close in every game?
Manny specifically called the soft defenses on 3rd downs... that’s on him. Too many times the defense got in 3rd down situations and allowed to many of them. At the end of the day that’s on the defense. Put matters into your own hands and get off the field

Last edited:
Manny specifically called the soft defenses on 3rd downs... that’s on him. Too many times the defense got in 3rd down situations and allowed to many of them. At the end of the day that’s on the defense. Put matters into your own hands and get off he field

Manny has not changed from year one to two. As was stated by me, on a previous thread, and someone else in this one, our tackling was atrocious. That's on the players.

Manny's defense works. It works even better when we have a lead. there are many ways to score in a football game but the offenses sole job is to score points to take a lead THAT THE DEFENSE CAN DEFEND. Defense cant win a game without the offense moving the ball for scoring points. Simple as that.

So while the third down defense wasn't excellent. The defense as a whole would have performed much better with an offense that could gain/sustain a lead.

The defense even went out and made up for their third down woes by gifting the ball to the offense 31 times!

Advertisement
Manny has not changed from year one to two. As was stated by me, on a previous thread, and someone else in this one, our tackling was atrocious. That's on the players.

Manny's defense works. It works even better when we have a lead. there are many ways to score in a football game but the offenses sole job is to score points to take a lead THAT THE DEFENSE CAN DEFEND. Defense cant win a game without the offense moving the ball for scoring points. Simple as that.

So while the third down defense wasn't excellent. The defense as a whole would have performed much better with an offense that could gain/sustain a lead.

The defense even went out and made up for their third down woes by gifting the ball to the offense 31 times!
Not necessarily, grabbed this from my post on the first page

When the offense did score what happened to the lapses in the Virginia game( down by 14) offenses ties that score. Then the defense proceeds to go down again by 14(it was 28-14) at the point and then the offense takes over the game(in addition to Jaquan’s int td). Or what about the Wisconsin game(offense had a 14-3 lead) defense then proceeds to let the Wisconsin offense have whatever it wants.... or how about FSU game(we had a lead late in the game) defense then let’s FSU score easily to tie it up and eventually go ahead. The offense then scores again to rectify their mistake from the defense allowing two late tds in the 4th. Contrary to the belief of many on here the offense saved the defense *** in multiple games

lol

3rd down efficiency on both sides of the ball have plagued this team for years now, before Richt.

The offense must sustain drives; going three and out or not punching the ball in from the RZ puts immense pressure on the defense.

On the flip side, giving up a lot of 3rd and 5+ was frustrating, as well. I do agree, to a point, that on third and long we had our ears pinned back and we were held a lot, negating our pass rush, and allowing QBs to hit open receivers. However, there were many times we simply just missed tackles, assignments, etc. and let teams off the hook.

Letting **** poor QBs in Pitt, Wisc, UVA, Toledo look like the next Tom Brady was unacceptable. The offense had many flaws, but being that low in 3rd down efficiency as a defense is no fluke or an inflated stat. Even if the offense did it's part, for argument sake, I seen signs that our def would've ranked in the lower to mid tier in 3rd down efficiency. This has to change, immediately.

This whole thread is just a huge excuse. The defense let people drive right down the field at the beginning of games as well. Has absolutely zero to do with the offense. As stated in this thread, both sides have to improve greatly to ever win a title.

Advertisement
beginning of FSU game is one that comes to mind where the guy (not akers but the name is escaping me now) runs through one of our tacklers for a 30 yard run

The first few games Bandy was really, really bad at getting the guy to the ground. I can remember at least 2-3 plays against Toledo on 3rd down where he had to make the tackle and didn't....first down Rockets, but he got better as the year went on. That is the difference between having Jajuan in the Nickel with Jenks and Carter at safety and a true freshman in the nickel with Jajuan and redwine behind him.

Redwine had a couple bad games, fsu being the absolute worse of them, but he had some great games too

The offense could help us out for sure, but until we can move people off the ball a little bit i don't see our run game improving much and to me that is our most glaring problem on offense. We continually have to pass on 3rd and 3 and put ourselves in way to many 3rd and 6-7 because we are below average getting push up front

SOTU just tweeted that Miami defended the 11th most plays in America in 2017. 989 plays defended.

And predictably, most of the replies are about the defense, its inability to get off the field on 3rd down, and how much the turnovers helped. All valid points. But I look at it a different way......

Yes, the defense finished the year 75th in the country on opponent's 3rd down percentage. They allowed the opposition to convert 39.55% of the time, which is obviously terrible and needs to improve.

But I look at it even more as a byproduct of the offense's ineptitude (but I'm an offensive guy, I pretty much spin everything back to how the offense performs). Looking at it a little closer, yes, the defense defended the 11th most plays in the country. But on that avalanche of plays, they only gave up 4.77 yards per play. That is MUCH better than every single team who faced more plays. As a matter of fact, that number ranked 12th in the country. So take away the turnovers, take away the 3rd down defense, and STILL, every single time the opposition snapped the ball, Miami only gave up 4.77 YPP. Only 11 teams were better.

But the offense didn't help a lick. We know all this, but the numbers are staggering. Miami finished 126th in 3rd down offense. 126th!!! Kent State, Maryland, UTEP, and Charlotte were the only teams worse. So when I see a stat like the one SOTU posted, most people think "Wow the defense needs to be better". And it does, to a point. But to me, the OFFENSE is the root of the problem. When you rank 59th in points per game, 126th on 3rd down, 124th in time of possession....guess what? Your defense is going to face a ton of plays. Not that this is news in any way, but **** the offense needs to be better this year. They really put the defense in so many awful spots last season. And with the diminished depth on the DL, we can't face almost 1000 plays again this season. I wonder if Richt does go with 12 again, if he plays a little bit slower just to limit those breakneck 3 and outs we had last year where we take 16 seconds off the clock and right back onto the field for the defense.

GOTT**** MY ***** HARD TO ARGUE WITH THESE FACTS YOU SPITTING BRUH. THE T.O.P. IS THAT SORRY *** OFFENSIVE LINE NOT BEING ABLE TO RUN THE BALL.

80 YARD TD'S LOOK NICE BUT THEY PUT THAT DEFENSE RIGHT BACK IN THE FIELD WITHOUT MUCH OF A BREAK.

and keep in mind I want to say they played like 12 weeks straight too. I think that gets lost in the argument. 12 weeks straight, with an offense that can't stay on the field. That Herculean effort on the Defense part. Who ever pulled tackling as a point of emphasis was correct. The tackling was terrible, but we were A1 when it came to creating turnovers.

THIS MUTHA****ING THIS I THOUGHT ABOUT THAT A LOT TOO BRUH. PLAYING ALL THEM WEEKS NO BYE JUST STRAIGHT THROUGH.

Advertisement
This has been talked about at length on multiple threads. The defense massively struggled, especially at the end of the year, on 3rd downs. That needs to be improved immediately and I'm sure everyone agrees there. But, yards per play is a much better measure of defensive performance than total yards.

And, I'm not even going to get into another 4 page debate on how disproportionate our offensive 3 and outs were last season. Brutal.

If you mention yards per game to me I immediately stop listening and will never have a football discussion with you again.

It's essentially a completely useless stat. Lot of people talk about "total defense" this and that. Quickest way for me to totally disregard your intelligence about the game.

But yes, **** the 3 and outs need to improve vastly.

Our fans will never hold the Offense accountable, ever.

They have no expectations, doesn't matter how many 4 & 5-star guys we get on Offense our fans will make every excuse in the book as to why they're ranked devastatingly low in practically every category.

The Defense is held responsible & has to do everything for this team. Trust, if our Offense is bad again this year everyone will blame the Defense like they always do. The O is held to a completely different standard.

The stats show clearly since 2016 the Defense has carried this team & according to the fans it's perfectly fine if the Offense isn't even top 30 in scoring, rushing, passing, 3rd down conversion or any **** thing else for that matter lol.

Our fans will never hold the Offense accountable, ever.

They have no expectations, doesn't matter how many 4 & 5-star guys we get on Offense our fans will make every excuse in the book as to why they're ranked devastatingly low in practically every category.

The Defense is held responsible & has to do everything for this team. Trust, if our Offense is bad again this year everyone will blame the Defense like they always do. The O is held to a completely different standard.

The stats show clearly since 2016 the Defense has carried this team & according to the fans it's perfectly fine if the Offense isn't even top 30 in scoring, rushing, passing, 3rd down conversion or any **** thing else for that matter lol.
Defense needs to be held accountable for performances vs Virginia(after the offense tied it, defense got down again by 14), Wisconsin(up 14-3 and the defense let Wisconsin have whatever it wanted), fsu(2 late tds) too. Unc and Pitt game they were getting pushed in too and driving right down the field converting 3rd downs. It’s not just the offense lol

Bottom line both sides need to improve period and it’s not one sides fault more than the other period

And you can go back forth and say “well the offense needs to stay on the field more on 3rd downs” to put up the stats you are talking about. That’s true but you can also say the opposing teams offense is burning up so much clock because they keep extending drives and running too many plays on our defense because they can’t get off the field which is also true. It goes together period.

It’s simple it’s 3rd down and 5+ and the opposing offense converts a first down at a pretty high percentage and that’s early on in the game or in the middle. But Somehow cane fans will spin and say it’s the offense fault the defense gave up the first down. That’s not how this sh*t works...

Last edited:
Defense needs to be held accountable for performances vs Virginia(after the offense tied it, defense got down again by 14), Wisconsin(up 14-3 and the defense let Wisconsin have whatever it wanted), fsu(2 late tds) too. It’s not just the offense lol

Bottom line both sides need to improve period and it’s not one sides fault more than the other period
You're one of the main ones that push that dumb narrative.

When has the Defense ever not been held accountable? Yall do nothing but blame them for everything, even in threads where we're not even discussing the Defense they get brought up.

This is ain't the NFL, even Defenses like Bama & Oh St loaded with 4/5-star studs all over get lit up from time to time.
I dare you to post a stat the Offense is top 10-20 in.

Advertisement
Back