Interesting issue/non issue

I can't even have a conversation with you without you being condescending. I guess [MENTION=14036]DTP[/MENTION] and I both don't get it.

Property values are different in every place. Brooklyn is expensive. In Richmond, I recently paid an African American man 10 times what he paid for a rental he had which I am gutting and flipping as the neighborhood is "gentrifying" now. On percentages, that's a good score for the guy. In reality, I paid a low $100k number for it because I'm in Richmond not Miami Beach or Brooklyn.

Your premise about Miami excluding blacks from property wealth is flawed. Real Estate has economic driving forces determined by location which drives demand.

If a black man owns a well-located building in Wynwood or a house adjacent to the Design District and he's selling it, he's making money... because there's demand there. If he's selling his house in Opa Locka, he's not making money like they do in places like Brooklyn because there's no demand in Opa Locka. On top of it, Manhattan real estate has driven Brooklyn's rise. That's a different league price-wise.

I deal with development, redevelopment and real estate all the time and I've been around it my entire life. It's economic. No one cares about anything but the risk/reward factor.

Y'all don't, but that's not unique to you or him. It's not advantageous for y'all to understand oppression so you move through life very well without ever truly knowing anything about it.

Problem is you're always offering your limited vantage-point for social currency, but can't see around it to truly understand life from another person's perspective. Stop forcing your poor understanding of AA experience and migratory patterns on me if you want to understand the deeper issues I alluded to before. I'm talking about how black folk actually experience the world, not how white real estate developers think they do.

How many black men own bldgs in Wynwood versus how many own them in Harlem and Bedford Stuyvesant? Why is a black man selling his bungalow in the design district versus keeping a townhouse in Brooklyn?

As a ****** man, are you really trying to tell me what factors influence the life-decisions of black folk?

the old "you're not black you wouldn't understand post".
because muslims, jews, mexicans, and literally every other person can't possibly empathize with the struggles of the black man.

no, they can't..

They all get to leave their environments of oppression to come here, to America. Where they can 'pass' and get a fresh start free of their...persecution. Meanwhile, descendants of black folk who experienced chattel slavery or themselves experienced Jim Crowe 50+ years ago have no better place to migrate and leave their oppressive environment behind, because America is that place. It's the generational poverty and systemic barriers unique to the burden-bearing black Americans of this country, among other things, that distinguishes their experience from that politically correct but watered-down, socially-engineered understanding of 'minorities' you espouse.

You thinking it's better to be Muslim (or from the Middle East in general) than it is to be black in America today, tells me everything I need to know about you. You're clearly just as racist as the White people that you hate.

:durantunimpressed:

This water is obviously way to deep for you, but it's my fault for bringing you out here and i'm sorry for that... You can just stay in the shallow end from now on.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You just don't get it...

1. Gentrification in Brooklyn & Harlem makes multi-millionaires out of black folk that bought property for pennies on the dollar in the 70s and 80s. No such phenomena in Miami. So stating gentrification "can be found everywhere" belies the fact that Miami uniquely stifles up-ward mobility.

2. Alabama is even cheaper than ATL, but you don't see black folk flocking there.

This is about more than socioeconomics, and i'll just leave it at that because based on your post I don't think you'd understand.

I can't even have a conversation with you without you being condescending. I guess [MENTION=14036]DTP[/MENTION] and I both don't get it.

Property values are different in every place. Brooklyn is expensive. In Richmond, I recently paid an African American man 10 times what he paid for a rental he had which I am gutting and flipping as the neighborhood is "gentrifying" now. On percentages, that's a good score for the guy. In reality, I paid a low $100k number for it because I'm in Richmond not Miami Beach or Brooklyn.

Your premise about Miami excluding blacks from property wealth is flawed. Real Estate has economic driving forces determined by location which drives demand.

If a black man owns a well-located building in Wynwood or a house adjacent to the Design District and he's selling it, he's making money... because there's demand there. If he's selling his house in Opa Locka, he's not making money like they do in places like Brooklyn because there's no demand in Opa Locka. On top of it, Manhattan real estate has driven Brooklyn's rise. That's a different league price-wise.

I deal with development, redevelopment and real estate all the time and I've been around it my entire life. It's economic. No one cares about anything but the risk/reward factor.

Y'all don't, but that's not unique to you or him. It's not advantageous for y'all to understand oppression so you move through life very well without ever truly knowing anything about it.

Problem is you're always offering your limited vantage-point for social currency, but can't see around it to truly understand life from another person's perspective. Stop forcing your poor understanding of AA experience and migratory patterns on me if you want to understand the deeper issues I alluded to before. I'm talking about how black folk actually experience the world, not how white real estate developers think they do.

How many black men own bldgs in Wynwood versus how many own them in Harlem and Bedford Stuyvesant? Why is a black man selling his bungalow in the design district versus keeping a townhouse in Brooklyn?

As a ****** man, are you really trying to tell me what factors influence the life-decisions of black folk?

Nope. I'm not going to tell a black man how to feel about racism and life factors influencing their decisions any more than I want someone telling me how to feel about the holocaust. I just see things differently than you. I see economics and market factors where you see societal issues.

Anyone who has the ability to fund a deal can invest where they want in this country. Miami is no different than anywhere else.

Btw, the biggest house flipper i know in Richmond doing more deals than anyone, and buying out all kinds of folks in all areas, is an African American man. It's not just white developers. It's economics and opportunity and people of all and any backgrounds taking their shots at the dream.

Good. This thread is about black folk leaving Miami for ATL; what relevance does your pettifog about Richmond Va. real estate have to the subject?

Because you've made the preposterous statement in this thread, on this page, that Miami uniquely stifles African American advancement in real estate transactions, whereas in Brooklyn and uptown Manhattan, black people make a fortune off their property.

I'm telling you it's demand, location and market. People will get paid, whether in Richmond, New York or Miami, if they're in the right spot. You apparently can't get over your Broward resentment of Miami still.

I'll tell you something else you don't know. My grandfather and great grandfather were on the board of directors of the first black owned bank in Miami. They were the first ones to make market rate loans in Overtown and in historically black neighborhoods. They were on the board because of my grandfather's friendship with Althea Range which came about because of some courageous and historic things my grandfather did on behalf of civil rights. The Dorseys were also on the board. Mr. Dorsey was an African American pioneer and real estate mogul back in the 40's and 50's who made a fortune.

This city has seen successful entrepreneurs of all backgrounds. It's no more or less racist than any other place. If you want to call attention to social injustice and the historic lingering impacts of discrimination then I get it but it's universal. But putting Miami in a worse light than any other city the way you have is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Nope. I'm not going to tell a black man how to feel about racism and life factors influencing their decisions any more than I want someone telling me how to feel about the holocaust. I just see things differently than you. I see economics and market factors where you see societal issues.

Anyone who has the ability to fund a deal can invest where they want in this country. Miami is no different than anywhere else.

Btw, the biggest house flipper i know in Richmond doing more deals than anyone, and buying out all kinds of folks in all areas, is an African American man. It's not just white developers. It's economics and opportunity and people of all and any backgrounds taking their shots at the dream.

Good. This thread is about black folk leaving Miami for ATL; what relevance does your pettifog about Richmond Va. real estate have to the subject?

Because you've made the preposterous statement in this thread, on this page, that Miami uniquely stifles African American advancement in real estate transactions, whereas in Brooklyn and uptown Manhattan, black people make a fortune off their property.

I'm telling you it's demand, location and market. People will get paid, whether in Richmond, New York or Miami, if they're in the right spot. You apparently can't get over your Broward resentment of Miami still.

I'll tell you something else you don't know. My grandfather and great grandfather were on the board of directors of the first black owned bank in Miami. They were the first ones to make market rate loans in Overtown and in historically black neighborhoods. They were on the board because of my grandfather's friendship with Althea Range which came about because of some courageous and historic things my grandfather did on behalf of civil rights. The Dorseys were also on the board. Mr. Dorsey was an African American pioneer and real estate mogul back in the 40's and 50's who made a fortune.

This city has seen successful entrepreneurs of all backgrounds. It's no more or less racist than any other place. If you want to call attention to social injustice and the historic lingering impacts of discrimination then I get it but it's universal. But putting Miami in a worse light than any other city the way you have is ridiculous.

Nah... It's about how black folk feel about living in Miami vs the other cities, and naming the one or two successful black entrepreneurs doesn't negate the general experience of African Americans. You inaccurately interpret and paraphrase my words but that's not surprising, because that's where your understanding resides, and you can't help but impose your limitations on everything you encounter. We've discussed your propensity to speak out of turn before, and despite admitting you can't "tell a black man how to feel about racism and life factors influencing their decisions", you continue above...

Miami is a very desirable place to live and its many components of gentrification are different when compared to ATL, Richmond, or anywhere else. You can't possibly speak for how black folk experience gentrification or life in any of those cities and (here you go offering your heritage as currency) I don't care who your grandaddies were.

Last edited:

Nah... It's about how black folk feel about living in Miami vs the other cities, and naming the one or two successful black entrepreneurs doesn't negate the general experience of African Americans. You inaccurately interpret and paraphrase my words but that's not surprising, because that's where your understanding resides, and you can't help but impose your limitations on everything you encounter. We've discussed your propensity to speak out of turn before, and despite admitting you can't "tell a black man how to feel about racism and life factors influencing their decisions", you continue above...

Miami is a very desirable place to live and its many components of gentrification are different when compared to ATL, Richmond, or anywhere else. You can't possibly speak for how black folk experience gentrification or life in any of those cities and (here you go offering your heritage as currency) I don't care who your grandaddies were.

My propensity to speak out of turn? I honestly don't know anyone more condescending on this board than you. I didn't know or recall with certainty what race you were before but now I see how it is. You're black, I'm white, so me, [MENTION=9924]calinative umstudent[/MENTION] and the rest of us lacking the requisite amount of melanin need to STFU and defer to whatever crap you spew on race.

I'm not gonna tell you how to feel about race...but I'm not gonna accept your ideology as the gospel for how I view things. If you're going to say what you did about Miami and use a real estate example, I'm gonna call that bullshît. I don't care what you feel, that's your deal, but I have a right to my opinion, including the statement that your assertions are baseless. Your feelings are yours. I disagree with the assertions as is my right as a human being of any race in America.

My grandaddies were connected to some of Miami's own African American success stories. I gave you two examples because you think Miami deprives black people of opportunities unlike some other cities.

You might not care about them because they're not connected to you, and they're not black so they don't fit your agenda, but Althea Range, the great Civil Rights leader of our city did care about them so who gives a fûck what you think. They named part of Biscayne Boulevard after Mrs. Range so her endorsement probably carried more weight where it counts than yours.

I used to think you were just a well-intentioned, intellectual ideologue who simply viewed everything by race and class but now I see that you're actually what you claim to resent in society. Have a nice night Mahoney.

Last edited:

My propensity to speak out of turn? I honestly don't know anyone more condescending on this board than you. I didn't know or recall with certainty what race you were before but now I see how it is. You're black, I'm white, so me, [MENTION=9924]calinative umstudent[/MENTION] and the rest of us lacking the requisite amount of melanin need to STFU and defer to whatever crap you spew on race.

I'm not gonna tell you how to feel about race...but I'm not gonna accept your ideology as the gospel for how I view things. If you're going to say what you did about Miami and use a real estate example, I'm gonna call that bullshît. I don't care what you feel, that's your deal, but I have a right to my opinion, including the statement that your assertions are baseless. Your feelings are yours. I disagree with the assertions as is my right as a human being of any race in America.

My grandaddies were connected to some of Miami's own African American success stories. I gave you two examples because you think Miami deprives black people of opportunities unlike some other cities.

You might not care about them because they're not connected to you, and they're not black so they don't fit your agenda, but Althea Range, the great Civil Rights leader of our city did care about them so who gives a fûck what you think. They named part of Biscayne Boulevard after Mrs. Range so her endorsement probably carried more weight where it counts than yours.

I used to think you were just a well-intentioned, intellectual ideologue who simply viewed everything by race and class but now I see that you're actually what you claim to resent in society. Have a nice night Mahoney.

thanks..

I'm sure plantation owners thought they gave their slaves a nice life, too, so you can think whatever you please; nobody can take your delusions away from you and I wouldn't try. Quite frankly, you don't demonstrate the necessary intellect, insight, humility or empathy to understand, because you contradict yourself in every misguided, condescending, and self-vindicating post you make.

I'm sure all that nonsense you spew is well intended and your kin-folk were fine people and all, but none of it qualifies you to speak intelligently about how black folk experience Miami and why they chose to leave for other cities.

If I ever felt the need to make a public commentary on Judaism or the plight of Jews, i'd do a tremendous amount of research AND A LOT OF LISTENING, before vetting my findings with people I trust to objectively and rigorously critique the conclusions I've drawn. Then, I would think long and hard about what I hope to accomplish in the commentary I'm making. I suggest you do the same before you comment on African Americans.

Why don't you check out the documentary like 13th for starters. If you want we can chat afterwords off-thread, but in the meantime, you should go back to the shallow end of the pool..

Last edited:
Advertisement

thanks..

I'm sure plantation owners thought they gave their slaves a nice life, too, so you can think whatever you please; nobody can take your delusions away from you and I wouldn't try. Quite frankly, you don't demonstrate the necessary intellect, insight, humility or empathy to understand, because you contradict yourself in every misguided, condescending, and self-vindicating post you make.

I'm sure all that nonsense you spew is well intended and your kin-folk were fine people and all, but none of it qualifies you to speak intelligently about how black folk experience Miami and why they chose to leave for other cities.

If I ever felt the need to make a public commentary on Judaism or the plight of Jews, i'd do a tremendous amount of research AND A LOT OF LISTENING, before vetting my findings with people I trust to objectively and rigorously critique the conclusions I've drawn. Then, I would think long and hard about what I hope to accomplish in the commentary I'm making. I suggest you do the same before you comment on African Americans.

Why don't you check out the documentary like 13th for starters. If you want we can chat afterwords off-thread, but in the meantime, you should go back to the shallow end of the pool..

I'll just refer all to the beginning where you said "gentrification in Brooklyn & Harlem makes multi-millionaires out of black folk that bought property for pennies on the dollar in the 70s and 80s. No such phenomena in Miami."

I just believe the driving force is location/risk/reward/economic. That's my opinion. You don't agree and you think it's some kind of slight on African Americans whereas I feel you've slighted my city. If you were talking about the lingering effects of racism on African Americans today on a nationwide basis, I"d get that and I empathize with those historic impacts across the board, but I don't get singling out Miami. There's racism everywhere. There's plenty of it in the northeast too.

Anyhow, I will look for the documentary 13th on Netflix.

thanks..

I'll just refer all to the beginning where you said "gentrification in Brooklyn & Harlem makes multi-millionaires out of black folk that bought property for pennies on the dollar in the 70s and 80s. No such phenomena in Miami."

I just believe the driving force is location/risk/reward/economic. That's my opinion. You don't agree and you think it's some kind of slight on African Americans whereas I feel you've slighted my city. If you were talking about the lingering effects of racism on African Americans today on a nationwide basis, I"d get that and I empathize with those historic impacts across the board, but I don't get singling out Miami. There's racism everywhere. There's plenty of it in the northeast too.

Not only can it make millions in BK, but black folk still aren't selling to the Hasidic Jews that ride around with suitcases full of money! And that's really the greater point in all of this. It's about seeking environments where one feels culturally substantiated and viable. I'm black, have lived in both places, and therefore comment on this particular subject with great certainty; whereas you really can't.

But, because someone dares to paint a picture of Miami that isn't acceptable to you, you feel personally slighted (for what I have no idea) and not only reject their uniquely personal experience, but must also go out of your way to put them in their place? In your mind I must be...confused about what I personally experienced?

You tend to impose your cultural beliefs and negate anyone's personal experience that doesn't align with yours. Do you realize that? Where does this ethnocentricity come from?

You should also see Cultural Relativism, because white isn't always right.

thanks..

Not only can it make millions in BK, but black folk still aren't selling to the Hasidic Jews that ride around with suitcases full of money! And that's really the greater point in all of this. It's about seeking environments where one feels culturally substantiated and viable. I'm black, have lived in both places, and therefore comment on this particular subject with great certainty; whereas you really can't.

But, because someone dares to paint a picture of Miami that isn't acceptable to you, you feel personally slighted (for what I have no idea) and not only reject their uniquely personal experience, but must also go out of your way to put them in their place? In your mind I must be...confused about what I personally experienced?

You tend to impose your cultural beliefs and negate anyone's personal experience that doesn't align with yours. Do you realize that? Where does this ethnocentricity come from?

Dude... You're certainly entitled to feel the way you do. I just don't see this world the way you do.

thanks..

Dude... You're certainly entitled to feel the way you do. I just don't see this world the way you do.

Right, but we're talking about my world.

Advertisement
giphy (7).gif

Advertisement
Back