I think what drives us Canes fans crazy..

But the problem is that we've been losing for 21 years and now it's all Mario's fault.

His stubbornness to his offensive philosophy is why we aren’t 5-0.

It was Shannon’s when it was Coker’s. Golden’s when it was Shannon’s, Richt’s when it was Golden’s, Manny’s when it was Manny’s, Richt’s and Mario’s

No one is giving up on Mario, but Mario gets no pass. More resources than the last coaches combined.

Advertisement

It was Shannon’s when it was Coker’s. Golden’s when it was Shannon’s, Richt’s when it was Golden’s, Manny’s when it was Manny’s, Richt’s and Mario’s

No one is giving up on Mario, but Mario gets no pass. More resources than the last coaches combined.
You better stop with your Facts Pal...You'll be held in contempt of CIS in no time...You got alot of nerve buddy.....

I just can't believe that adults who claim to follow sports still believe that - only at Miami - the head coach should be able to fix things in the first month and a half. Nowhere else, just at Miami.

dance-slide.gif

Advertisement
I just can't believe that adults who claim to follow sports still believe that - only at Miami - the head coach should be able to fix things in the first month and a half. Nowhere else, just at Miami.

Fix things like beating MTSU, embracing the forward pass and not going into a shell against Texas A&M or in close yardage situations against UNC?

Is that almost every year we are duped into thinking we are ‘back’ and we never meet the expectations made by professionals.

We’ve been picked to win the Coastal so many times from the experts, even this year - by almost everyone - it’s just mind-boggling how even those who make a living out of predicting these things get Miami so wrong so often. It’s like every year we consistently under-perform.

That’s what drives us all insane. We buy into the pre-season hype that even many experts share (not fan boys who wear orange and green glasses) and we are all let down. Has there been a more disappointing team in the last 20 years?

If we were fans of Duke or Virginia, at least we wouldn’t be expecting much. Predicting a .500 season - sometimes it’s better sometimes it’s not. With Miami, when you are picked to win your division year after year and never do so, at some point it’s just insanity to think it will happen. Spending $14,000,000.00 on an elite staff has done nothing except shown that you can build a smoke screen - fooling even the ‘experts’ who thought we were back.

I think that’s the most frustrating thing about Miami. We never meet expectations.

My two cents; stop listening to the "experts" and realize why they do what they do.

For starters, most don't know squat about Miami—and even those that supposed do, still don't. (Never forget, Kirk Herbstreit's title game prediction in 2006 was Miami against Notre Dame; the Canes went 7-6, brawled with FIU, almost lost to Duke, and eked out a bowl win over Nevada on blue turf, while Larry Coker got the axe—Herby with this silly prediction after the Peach Bowl blowout, a slew of assistants fired and second rate retreads like Rich Olson hired.)

It's good business for the media to hype a Miami comeback, as they know non-fans of the Canes will seethe over this and it's a polarizing topic. It's also a win-win for them, because IF Miami starts winning, it's good ratings as fans and foes will tune in for opposite reasons—but if the Canes falter, they can pile-on with all the, "The U isn't back..." stuff that the opposition eats up.

Like that scene in 'Private Parts' where Pig Vomit is asking about Stern's numbers; how the average fan listens for 20 minutes, while the Stern hater listened even longer, both with the same reasoning; the all wanted to hear what he was going to say next. Miami is a unique program that is both loved and hated; a national brand where more people tune in to see Miami lose than tune in to see the Canes win.

The Coastal has been wide-open abortion of a division for years; one that Miami theoretically should've won many times just based on talent level alone (in comparison to most of the competition) but that hasn't been the case with coaching turnover and ****ing away winnable games every year.

I've said it ad nauseam in these threads recently, but Miami entered this football season 118-85 since getting crushed 40-3 by LSU in the 2005 Peach Bowl. When that number is divided by 16 seasons, the Hurricanes have averaged 7-5 every year since.

Cristobal is now UM third head coach in five seasons and sixth since Larry Coker was sent packing after going 7-6 in 2006. The Hurricanes are also on their third different offensive coordinator and system in four seasons.

Some of this has to be put on the fans, as well—who run their mouths all off-season or get way ahead of themselves. What was really expected year one under Cristobal—which is only halfway through and shouldn't be judged until December? Yes, beating MTSU shouldn't have been a big ask—but in a season where Marshall upset Notre Dame in South Bend, Appalachian State upended aTm in College Station and UTEP beat up Boise State—who is present-day Miami to think they're above not showing up against a feisty team playing like it's their national championship?

****, go back to that 2017 season and that 10-0 start. That was as fugazi of a season as the Canes had since 2013, when gong 7-0 against a bunch of nobodies, before rising to #7 and getting destroyed, 41-14 in Tallahassee.

10-0 could've just as easily have been 5-5—with no big night game, nationally televised energy for Virginia Tech and Notre Dame—where the crowd came alive for both.

Needed a miracle to survive FSU and another fourth down miracle a week later against Georgia Tech. Pulled away late against Syracuse, which was a one-point game late. Needed to force a fumble to survive at North Carolina a week later.

That 7-0 start could've easily have been 3-4 going into VT and Notre Dame, but Miami got a few breaks and made a few plays—with a veteran defense infinitely better than the one being fielded right now—and we fast saw who Miami really was after losing to a four-win Pitt team, getting blown out by Clemson for an ACC title and falling by double digits to Wisconsin in the Orange Bowl.

Until Miami PROVES they can do it; winning big games, beating the Coastal foes they are theoretically better than, etc.—there is no reason to give any benefit of the doubt. Not as fans and not because the moron media says so.

0-for-18 in ACC titles and 1-for-17 in Coastal crowns. The proof is in the pudding. Conversely, Virginia Tech won the ACC four times and took the division six times, between 2004 and 2013. They were an afterthought add to the conference after Miami defected, yet they hit the ground running and did what many hoped the Canes would do—their wheels falling off a few years later when Frank Beamer hung it up.

Seven one-game seasons remain, where this team needs to grow up, learn how to win and then it's back to recruiting and the portal to do it all again in 2023, with Cristobal and crew hopefully taking another step forward.

This is most-definitely another rebuild, whether fans want to accept that, or not—and the frustration from the last five regimes can't be lumped on the shoulders of a new staff, as they had nothing to do with the collapse of 2005 through 2021.

Advertisement
You serious clark?

So adjustments were made on defense and they outscored us.

Adjustments were made on offense and we scored less than them.

We outgained them by 100 yards. Had less interceptions and lost.

That is coaching!
They scred 6 points in teh second half. That is coaching

Fixing the overall team and program takes time, but he’s losing winnable games due to coaching.

USC is 6-0.

USC hasn't played a ranked team this year and Lincoln Riley stole a Heisman-caliber quarterback from Oklahoma in Caleb Williams, while also poaching him the Bilitnekoff-winner from the portal to throw the ball to.

The Trojans are 6-0 despite having the 100th-ranked defense four weeks into the season, jumping to 47th this past week after shutting down Washington State.

Let's see how things fare at No. 20 Utah this weekend, before closing with a rejuvenated UCLA and decent Notre Dame.

Thus far the Trojans have played Rice, Stanford, Fresno State, Oregon State, Arizona State and Washington State.

Hardly a Murder's Row schedule. North Carolina and Texas A&M would beat every one of those teams. MTSU, not so much—that will forever be an inexcusable loss and FIU-caliber stain on the program.

Toss it on the pile of embarrassing losses the past 16 years.

And if I’m being honest, there’s no honest assessment among this fan base. Waaay too much Kool Aid drinking, way too much calling every player elite b4 putting on pads, & way too much living in the past. We’ve been picked to win this division since 2004, & every single yr, u’ve been duped to believe this yr will be different.

My frat brother texted me b4 the season, & asked my thoughts (b4 I made my OP). I told him 8-5 or 9-4 at best. The first thing he says: “Look at the schedule, Rell! Name me 4 or 5 losses?” My response? “I know this team, & since 2004, I couldn’t name u 4-5 losses on paper, but for 17 yrs, I’ve seen 4-5 losses annually, despite talent level.”

Mario is the best coach we have had, but he is old school. While the outsiders have been gassing us, he’s told us repeatedly we’re not there & the roster is not where he wants it to be. Despite that, the thirst to be back, along w/ the love of the fumes of gas that infiltrates this site causes unrealistic expectations.

W/ the lack of portal additions, along w the loss of more than 50% of offensive production + new playbook = struggles for yr 1. Idgaf what the industry “experts say”, b/c most of those mofos don’t know chit anyway, but we collectively have seen the struggles of every first yr coach at this program EXCEPT D.E & L.C, both won w/ ready made rosters, & both **** near killed the program after the program builders’ players left.

No excuse, EVER, to lose to MTSU, but we gotta stop the 15-0 & ACCCG or Bust bull chit every off season UNTIL we get there, & imo, we will.
This coaching staff was hyping Ivey. You can't hype players up before the season, then when things don't go your way you blame it on talent.

Advertisement
Fixing the overall team and program takes time, but he’s losing winnable games due to coaching.

USC is 6-0.

When I pointed out that our coach has won 12 games, it was pointed out how terrible the Pac 12 is. So anything to trash our own guy.

USC hasn't played a ranked team this year and Lincoln Riley stole a Heisman-caliber quarterback from Oklahoma in Caleb Williams, while also poaching him the Bilitnekoff-winner from the portal to throw the ball to.

The Trojans are 6-0 despite having the 100th-ranked defense four weeks into the season, jumping to 47th this past week after shutting down Washington State.

Let's see how things fare at No. 20 Utah this weekend, before closing with a rejuvenated UCLA and decent Notre Dame.

Thus far the Trojans have played Rice, Stanford, Fresno State, Oregon State, Arizona State and Washington State.

Hardly a Murder's Row schedule. North Carolina and Texas A&M would beat every one of those teams. MTSU, not so much—that will forever be an inexcusable loss and FIU-caliber stain on the program.

Toss it on the pile of embarrassing losses the past 16 years.

I knew someone would point to the Utah game. Is Utah a fair measuring stick? I mean it was OK 12 months ago when they dragged their nuts on Oregon’s face with their head coach in his 4th season. By the logic of this board, USC has no chance. Should not even play the game.

We lost to MTSU, a terrible defense in UNC and a 3-3 A&M team.

Stop making excuses.

Advertisement
CIS predictions mostly in the 8-4/9-3 range and Vegas having us at 8.5 wins doesn't scream "back" to me.
Those, to me, were very realistic numbers preseason.

Injuries can change things, for sure.

Vegas is quite often spot on.

I knew someone would point to the Utah game. Is Utah a fair measuring stick? I mean it was OK 12 months ago when they dragged their nuts on Oregon’s face with their head coach in his 4th season. By the logic of this board, USC has no chance. Should not even play the game.

We lost to MTSU, a terrible defense in UNC and a 3-3 A&M team.

Stop making excuses.
Would you have given Kirby Smart a second year?

Advertisement
Back