I asked it before and I'll ask again...

Notsince1985

Retired staff
Premium
How good is this team? When on, I still think this team can, and I stress can, go to the final four. The problem is, they've been in a funk for about a month. To those freaking out and saying we're going to the NIT. I mean, I really don't think that's fair. We lost two road games to two good teams. UVA was a top 5 team that's won 27 in a row at home. Clemson is 5-1 in the ACC with wins over us, Duke and Louisville. Now, with that said, we have to stop this crap now. We have to beat BC on Wednesday. I'd love a convincing win to get us back on track, but at this point, just win.

Advertisement
Clemson has played out of their minds the last two weeks and UVA is a top 10-15 team nationally. Will be concerned if we lose to BC

I hate to look ahead, because right now, more than any other time, we need to take it one game at a time, but we have a favorable schedule coming up.

@BC 7-10, 0-4
Wake 10-7, 1-4
Duke 14-4, 3-2
@NCSU 10-8, 0-5
ND 12-5, 3-2
@GT 11-7, 1-4

We really need to wake up and go on a run

Advertisement
The loss to Clemson seemed like a replay of the loss to Virginia. There didn't appear to be any attempt at an adjustment.

The offense looks confused and stagnant and they don't seem to have a game plan and seem to let down when their shots don't fall.

They are capable of playing a suffocating defense and that is what propels them to wins but it seemed to be missing the last two games.

I think the coaches need to buckle down and help these players get back on track.

Offense seems to run through a small few, need to play more people play faster push tempo, get more people involved in offense.

I believe we are really missing our top 2 assistant coaches who became head coaches. This team has regressed rather than progressing.

I believe we are really missing our top 2 assistant coaches who became head coaches. This team has regressed rather than progressing.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Team isn't executing and Angel is playing too much. Quite simple

Advertisement
This team is playing pretty good D, but on offense...we're relying on a lot of similar sets with small wrinkles. We never run anything too different. I don't know if that's intentional, I don't know if we just seem to fall back to what's simple when the lights come on or what...this team should be able to take guys off the dribble a lot more often than we do. We settle for jumpers far too often across the board. When we're hitting them...that's awesome. When we're not, our offense becomes anemic.

Really, I think Jekiri, Murphy, and ICU all need to develop their post moves down low. Jekiri needs to be a scorer on the low block, as does Murphy, but ICU's post presence needs to be Pau Gasol-esque...he needs to be a passer to hit guys either cutting to the hoop or making a good diagonal pass across the defense to hit a guy for an open 3 when the D reacts to the ball going down into the paint.

I think that's our biggest problem right now, no consistent inside presence. Everyone wants to be a guard, they want to pick and pop, and no one wants to get their butt down on the block and work hard to score.

Someone tell me why Sheldon only took 8 shots (making 5). He should take 10-12 minimum, and should touch it on every possession down the stretch.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Team isn't executing and Angel is playing too much. Quite simple

No coaching doesn't have any thing to do with it. Its just my opinion and you can kiss my ***!!!!!!

Advertisement
Everyone is losing games it's not just a MIAMI thing.

Michigan state lost to unranked wisky. Kentucky loses to auburn, UVA is 32-4 last 2 years in ACC, lost first 2 ACC road games to vt and GT.

Duke loses at clemson, Lville loses at Clemson. South Carolina was undefeated they travel to Alabama get slaughtered.

Kansas lost recently as the #1 team.

In the ACC all teams minus UNC are losing road games just like MIAMI.

UNC is the most talented team in the league imo.

Pittsburgh looks tough they travel to LVille get beaten pretty badly.

UVA is losing now to FSU.

League road games are so tough.

It's about who makes adjustments, who plays well.

I think MIAMI will be fine.

Teams really good. It's hard to predict what kind of shape they'll be in or their bracket will be in March, but they've got final four potential.

Just gotta get hot at the right time.

We struggle offensively in the half-court. We've got athletes and look great getting up and down, but you don't win that way in conference or the tournament. At our best, the ball gets spread around and multiple players score in the teens and at worst, we have no "go to" guy that can really get us a bucket or create an easy shot with regularity. This is an issue that needs to get figured out. Three years ago, you knew Larkin would initiate things and create a shot for himself or someone else.

We have the athletes to be elite defensively. It all comes down to effort. That stretch against UVA where they got multiple back-door cuts in the second half was brutal. So defense could be better, but it's been good enough so to win the last two games.

Lastly, Angel is a head case. He isn't a good shooter. ****, I'd argue he isn't even average. He lacks confidence in his shot and when in a slump like this, or the one he spent much of last season in, he hurts us because he gets his head down and doesn't play the defense he is capable of playing. We don't need him to nail threes all game, just play good defense, get us in our offensive sets, move the ball, and don't play hero ball by taking 24 footers.

Good news is there is a lot of time to get it ironed out. Bad news is I'm not sure we have that go-to guy on the rooster. Newton might be as close as we've got, but he loves his handle a little too much right now.

Advertisement
We struggle offensively in the half-court. We've got athletes and look great getting up and down, but you don't win that way in conference or the tournament. At our best, the ball gets spread around and multiple players score in the teens and at worst, we have no "go to" guy that can really get us a bucket or create an easy shot with regularity. This is an issue that needs to get figured out. Three years ago, you knew Larkin would initiate things and create a shot for himself or someone else.

We have the athletes to be elite defensively. It all comes down to effort. That stretch against UVA where they got multiple back-door cuts in the second half was brutal. So defense could be better, but it's been good enough so to win the last two games.

Lastly, Angel is a head case. He isn't a good shooter. ****, I'd argue he isn't even average. He lacks confidence in his shot and when in a slump like this, or the one he spent much of last season in, he hurts us because he gets his head down and doesn't play the defense he is capable of playing. We don't need him to nail threes all game, just play good defense, get us in our offensive sets, move the ball, and don't play hero ball by taking 24 footers.

Good news is there is a lot of time to get it ironed out. Bad news is I'm not sure we have that go-to guy on the rooster. Newton might be as close as we've got, but he loves his handle a little too much right now.

Exactly, this team has NO go-to player.

Exactly, this team has NO go-to player.

I disagree. Sheldon is the go-to player, he just needs to recognize it and embrace it.

I think we are missing those two assistants but overall we're playing better than last year. I don't see regressing, I see poor effort, cancer (Angel) and low energy.

Advertisement
Back