How good is this team?

I think the factor that will push this team into a deep tourney run will be the depth. We saw it yesterday, even though Angel had an off scoring night, Ja'Quan came right in and took the game over. I love how on any given night, anyone can come in and give 10+ points.

Advertisement
Long as Angel doesnt pull an ANgel we can make it mane

This and this some more

The biggest issue with Angel is he doesn't know how to play when he is off. He shoots like he can't miss. Yesterday he was awful offensively and took a 3 from the orange of the U in a close game. I was like are you kidding me? He has to learn how to contribute without scoring when he doesn't have it going on a particular night. Towards the end of the game he imposed himself defensively and came up huge. Got a couple breaks going including an AND 1 for himself. He has to keep finding ways to contribute even when he isn't shooting well. He has the goods to help in other ways.

But that's just it, he did find ways to contribute other than scoring. He played good defense, great in the second half. He had 6 steals...SIX. He had 4 assists, 3 rebounds and 2 blocks. I agree he shouldn't be shooting that much when he's off, but we can't overlook the other things he does, and did yesterday.

Yeah, everybody has piled on Angel way too much this year. Still has his fair share of ugly plays, brain farts, and streaky shooting, but he has overall run the point very well, and his defense at times is eye opening. He's the guy who if he has a hot tourney can push us really deep. And there were guys on here who wanted him benched at the start of the year.

I've never been one of those to say he should be benched.

You pointed out Angel's stats but didn't mention the TOs- 5! That's an ugly Assist/TO ratio for anyone, more so for a PG.

He did impact the game with his D and steals but that came late in the second half. The first half,and and first part of the second he was taking shots that were absurd, and turning the ball over. There are times he needs to realize he doesn't have it on that night, but can still help with great D and creating for others. He did do it late in the second but he was still taking some bad shots despite not having it. We can't waste possessions like that especially in the tourney. Taking deep 3's from the orange of our logo EARLY in the shot clock is inexcusable.

Advertisement
Back