How good is this team?

Notsince1985

Retired staff
Premium
Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 3h3 hours ago
Miami's 10 victories this season have come by an average of 21.5 PPG and only one of them was in single digits. Canes have the requisites.

I think this is a Final Four team when firing on all cylinders. I see a lot of people saying, "depending on which team shows up." Well, that's true for every team. If our name was Kansas, we'd be a top 5 team with our resume right now.

Advertisement
It's an astonishingly deep team. And senior laden. That should count for something in March. Angel has mostly played within himself. If he continues to do that, and play great defense and distribute the ball I think you are right that this can be a Final Four type team. Probably equally ripe for an early tourney exit from a bad night, but I think from 1 to 10 this roster is as talented as any. Just look at our shooting %. Considering that we hoist up our share of threes that's damned impressive.

Any team is ripe for an early tourney exit on a bad night. I think this team is better than 2012-2013.

You have the ingredients to win the National Championship with a little good fortune as it relates to your bracket/match-ups. I think the team chemistry is there. The dynamic with Murphy/Uceda as it relates to minutes and who starts seems to be a non issue at the moment. Guard play ultimately wins championships. It did with UConn 4 times. Even though you may not have a 1st round NBA draft pick at the PG...the trio of Rodriquez, Newton and McClellan (who I think should be a 1st round pick) is top 3 or 4 back courts in the United States of America. Couple this with the most underrated center in America in Tonye Jekiri (who I think is 1 of the top 5 centers in college hoops) and you have special season tattooed to the U.

Seeding will be big. In my opinion you need to secure a (1-3) type of seed. If you look at the Regional Final sites there are a few that are more advantageous than others for Miami (some of that depends on how a couple other Chalk teams do the rest of the way).

I like this team a TON. Larranaga is the type of coach that can bring this program to the ultimate Promised Land (FF/Natty). The guy HATES to lose. He knows he has the team that can make a historic run for the University of Miami.

I will be at the Virginia vs. Hurricane game on February 22. My plan is to get the tickets via StubHub. So maybe you guys can point me in the right direction on where to stay and things to do. It will be my first trip to Miami. I am a UConn season ticket holder. Thank you.

Good Luck!!!!

Last edited:
You have the ingredients to win the National Championship with a little good fortune as it relates to your bracket/match-ups. I think the team chemistry is there. The dynamic with Murphy/Uceda as it relates to minutes and who starts seems to be a non issue at the moment. Guard play ultimately wins championships. It did with UConn 4 times. Even though you may not have a 1st round NBA draft pick at the PG...the trio of Rodriquez, Newton and McClellan (who I think should be a 1st round pick) is top 3 or 4 back courts in the United States of America. Couple this with the most underrated center in America in Tonye Jekiri (who I think is 1 of the top 5 centers in college hoops) and you have special season tattooed to the U.

Seeding will be big. In my opinion you need to secure a (1-3) type of seed. If you look at the Regional Final sites there are a few that are more advantageous than others for Miami (some of that depends on how a couple other Chalk teams do the rest of the way).

I like this team a TON. Larranaga is the type of coach that can bring this program to the ultimate Promised Land (FF/Natty). The guy HATES to lose. He knows he has the team that can make a historic run for the University of Miami.

I will be at the Virginia vs. Hurricane game on February 22. My plan is to get the tickets via StubHub. So maybe you guys can point me in the right direction on where to stay and things to do. It will be my first trip to Miami. I am a UConn season ticket holder. Thank you.

Good Luck!!!!

:rickflair2::umuni::umuni2::duke-uni2::umuni3::thumbsup_kid::based-duke::based-duke2:

Advertisement
If you fly just uber it to hotel, should be $12. Stay at Hampton Inn in Brickell. Down the street is the metro rail which for $2.50 each way takes you right in front of the stadium (15 min ride max). For things to do, if you stay there you won't need a car and can walk to Mary Brickell village and get food and drinks. Everything from cheaper food to more expensive. You are also next to a bar called batch. Then you Uber to airport and that's it.

You get all that since you said national championship possibility.

This team resembles Villanova from last year. Both teams featured veterans, guard-dominated lineups, an experienced-but-thin front line, willing three point shooters, a deep team (aside from bigs), lack of a star and a borderline Top 10 ranking in December. Look at the personnel similarities:

Daniel Ochefu/Tonye Jekiri -- Two Nigerian bigs who are skilled defenders, solid rebounders and average offensive threats.
JayVaughn Pinkston/Kamari Murphy -- undersized bigs, good rebounders, Pinkston a better post player
Josh Hart/Sheldon McClellan -- While McClellan is a star, Hart resembles Sheldon's athleticism and is/was Nova's breakdown scorer. They are identically sized.
Ryan Arcidiacono/Davon Reed -- Two do everything players (although their styles are dissimilar)
Darrun Hilliard/Angel Rodriguez -- The gunners for both teams. Their stats are very similar (high steals, 11-14 ppg, good free throw shooters). Hilliard had many "Oh no . . . good shot" plays just like Angel.

Hopefully UM goes farther than Villanova did last year. UM is longer than Villanova, is a better defensive team when motivated and is less reliant on threes than Villanova. Still there a lot of similarities between the two teams.

It's an astonishingly deep team. And senior laden. That should count for something in March. Angel has mostly played within himself. If he continues to do that, and play great defense and distribute the ball I think you are right that this can be a Final Four type team. Probably equally ripe for an early tourney exit from a bad night, but I think from 1 to 10 this roster is as talented as any. Just look at our shooting %. Considering that we hoist up our share of threes that's damned impressive.

We've had 2 bench players lead us in scoring in the the last 2 games. Both 20pt efforts and both equally impressive.

Having played UF and watching them play Mich.St We probably aren't that far away.

Advertisement
Miami needs to be more disciplined and cut down on the turnovers to make it far in ncaa tourney. They pretty much have everything else.

2015-16 >>>> 2012-13
PG IS THE ONLY POSITION THAT WAS SUPERIOR
IM EXPECTING NO LESS THAN AN ELITE 8 APPEARANCE
COACH L IS DAT NIGGGA
GO CANES

If you fly just uber it to hotel, should be $12. Stay at Hampton Inn in Brickell. Down the street is the metro rail which for $2.50 each way takes you right in front of the stadium (15 min ride max). For things to do, if you stay there you won't need a car and can walk to Mary Brickell village and get food and drinks. Everything from cheaper food to more expensive. You are also next to a bar called batch. Then you Uber to airport and that's it.

You get all that since you said national championship possibility.

Thank you! Awesome INFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bro I tell it like I see it on the hardwood. Love college hoops so found this board!

Last edited:
Jon Rothstein is the MAN. I'm not sure how much UM pays him but it isn't enough. Has been HUGE on UM for 2 years straight now.

Advertisement

We've had 2 bench players lead us in scoring in the the last 2 games. Both 20pt efforts and both equally impressive.

Having played UF and watching them play Mich.St We probably aren't that far away.

McClellan isn't a bench player.

Last edited:
Long as Angel doesnt pull an ANgel we can make it mane

This and this some more

The biggest issue with Angel is he doesn't know how to play when he is off. He shoots like he can't miss. Yesterday he was awful offensively and took a 3 from the orange of the U in a close game. I was like are you kidding me? He has to learn how to contribute without scoring when he doesn't have it going on a particular night. Towards the end of the game he imposed himself defensively and came up huge. Got a couple breaks going including an AND 1 for himself. He has to keep finding ways to contribute even when he isn't shooting well. He has the goods to help in other ways.

Advertisement

This and this some more

The biggest issue with Angel is he doesn't know how to play when he is off. He shoots like he can't miss. Yesterday he was awful offensively and took a 3 from the orange of the U in a close game. I was like are you kidding me? He has to learn how to contribute without scoring when he doesn't have it going on a particular night. Towards the end of the game he imposed himself defensively and came up huge. Got a couple breaks going including an AND 1 for himself. He has to keep finding ways to contribute even when he isn't shooting well. He has the goods to help in other ways.
The 3 he jacked up from NBA range early in the shot clock to become 0-7 from 3 was just horrible. Should have put him on the bench for the rest of the game for pulling that crap. Guy just needs to learn that there is a point when he needs to stop shooting

McClellan isn't a bench player.

Newton and Cruz-Uceda

This and this some more

But that's just it, he did find ways to contribute other than scoring. He played good defense, great in the second half. He had 6 steals...SIX. He had 4 assists, 3 rebounds and 2 blocks. I agree he shouldn't be shooting that much when he's off, but we can't overlook the other things he does, and did yesterday.

This and this some more

But that's just it, he did find ways to contribute other than scoring. He played good defense, great in the second half. He had 6 steals...SIX. He had 4 assists, 3 rebounds and 2 blocks. I agree he shouldn't be shooting that much when he's off, but we can't overlook the other things he does, and did yesterday.

Yeah, everybody has piled on Angel way too much this year. Still has his fair share of ugly plays, brain farts, and streaky shooting, but he has overall run the point very well, and his defense at times is eye opening. He's the guy who if he has a hot tourney can push us really deep. And there were guys on here who wanted him benched at the start of the year.

Advertisement
Back