How Good Can Stephen Morris Be? Recap of Maryland Game

I'd feel a lot better about him if he had gone through the Spring healthy. He's definitely very raw, but with good physical tools. Also, big if that he can stay healthy for a full season. He needs to cut down on some of the contact after a run.

Advertisement
Without looking at the video i remember him threading the needle on a couple of passes that JH would never have even attempted.

how awful was chase ford?....how the **** was he ever allowed on the field? how the **** did he earn a schollie?.......in what way did he ever contribute? He had very few catches during his career and could not block to save his life. His most memorable moments are all him wiffing on a block or dropping a pass, for example (5:57 mark). Also cost us another game last year..I think it was BC or virginia...cant remember

Thus guy is an example of what we have had on the team for the past few years. guys who took up a schollie, played a bunch, and never amounted to shytt!!!

how awful was chase ford?....how the **** was he ever allowed on the field? how the **** did he earn a schollie?.......in what way did he ever contribute? He had very few catches during his career and could not block to save his life. His most memorable moments are all him wiffing on a block or dropping a pass, for example (5:57 mark). Also cost us another game last year..I think it was BC or virginia...cant remember

Thus guy is an example of what we have had on the team for the past few years. guys who took up a schollie, played a bunch, and never amounted to shytt!!!

Guy should never have had a snap of live ball. I would think the staff moves on from that and trusts going with the young cats. I would've rather gone with Cleveland or Walford or even Dyer and had them develop more. No way would they have done any worse and we'd be in better shape this year.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Morris played a really good game until crunch time. His mechanics failed and nerves took over the last couple of minutes. He rushed throws, locked into receivers, and threw off balance. I think/hope that would be more experience driven, which is why I was calling for him to start all season long. The other thing he needs to work on is the touch pass. He relies too much on the bullet pass and needs to be able to hit the 60 degree wedge more often.

I think we would have won probably two more games if he would have played. With the Benjamin and Streeter, his arm would have opened up our offense significantly vs noodle arm.

I'm optimistic after watching it, ~ 12 minutes long.

As mentioned, he has a strong arm, and he has some pocket presence and scrambling ability.

I think he's gonna be a star. Our offense can score, we just need the D to stop opponents.

I'm a firm believer in Stephen Morris. Fundamentally sound, good footwork (though he needs to be more consistent in setting his feet before throws), comfortable in the pocket but has good mobility, big arm, very accurate. Needs to eliminate the mistakes obviously, but this isn't a Jacory situation where Jacory just lived on high risk floating deep balls for better or worse and was bound to throw INTs. Morris can pretty easily cut down the mistakes with more reps and experience. Additionally, he is confident and a natural leader. You could tell by his presence and body language when he was out there throwing in spring even though he wasnt dressed that this was his team and Williams was just keeping the seat warm. There is no question Morris is our starter week 1.

He has the potential to be a very solid starter for us. Hopefully Hurns and Dorsett progress and become more reliable targets for him. The O line will be good without question. I'm comfortable with our backs especially if Duke is ready to contribute. This can be a very solid offense this year.

I'm a firm believer in Stephen Morris. Fundamentally sound, good footwork (though he needs to be more consistent in setting his feet before throws), comfortable in the pocket but has good mobility, big arm, very accurate. Needs to eliminate the mistakes obviously, but this isn't a Jacory situation where Jacory just lived on high risk floating deep balls for better or worse and was bound to throw INTs. Morris can pretty easily cut down the mistakes with more reps and experience. Additionally, he is confident and a natural leader. You could tell by his presence and body language when he was out there throwing in spring even though he wasnt dressed that this was his team and Williams was just keeping the seat warm. There is no question Morris is our starter week 1.

He has the potential to be a very solid starter for us. Hopefully Hurns and Dorsett progress and become more reliable targets for him. The O line will be good without question. I'm comfortable with our backs especially if Duke is ready to contribute. This can be a very solid offense this year.

+1. Morris really looked excellent against Maryland until the back-to-back delay of game penalties happened in the 2nd half. Things seemed to just unravel from there. He needs to not lock onto his first target as much and will pay the price if he tries to thread the needle too many times, but as you mentioned, these are things that I think are pretty correctable with experience. I'm a big Morris fan and I think he's going to do better than a lot of people think.

Then again, I also thought KW and Jacory were going to be great, so da fugg do I know?

Advertisement
This is really ****** cool. On my way to a funeral, but I'll chip in here later. Also, stat, if you wanna work w/ me during the season, we can do some pretty solid video breakdowns. Let me know.

Man, stat is a five-star addition to the site. The Canes World is lucky to have you. This kind of thing is the reason we made this board.

As for Morris, if his mental game has progressed as much as people who watch practice think it has, he can be truly special. I don't think anything is wrong between the ears-- he's smart, he's a team player, he's a gamer and he's as tough as any QB we've had here. His progression is normal for a young quarterback plucked straight off the scout team.

Advertisement
I agree after watching that game and then watching the game where he came in for Jacory after he got injured I think he will be very solid when the experience starts to set in. He has the tools. I think he has the mental game. Once he gets more comfortable running the offense, the mental mistakes getting out of the huddle will be erased. Then the only thing left is manipulating coverages and that is something I think everyone can agree with that Fisch made a dramatic turnaround with Jacory with just one season on making better decisions, better reads and know when to check down. J12 did throw too many ints last year but it was half of what he did the year before. I think if Morris wins the job, I do not think he will give it back to the group!

Man, stat is a five-star addition to the site. The Canes World is lucky to have you. This kind of thing is the reason we made this board.

As for Morris, if his mental game has progressed as much as people who watch practice think it has, he can be truly special. I don't think anything is wrong between the ears-- he's smart, he's a team player, he's a gamer and he's as tough as any QB we've had here. His progression is normal for a young quarterback plucked straight off the scout team.

If he's special we could be a lot better than most have us pegged this year.

Hey stat is there any way you could upload the ball that Morris threw to Benjamin in the duke game that was dropped. That ball had to have been 60+ yards in the air and it looked easy. Really gives everyone an idea of how special this kids arm is. Travis with another timely drop. The TB3 special.

Advertisement
I think if our offense can score points, and that if our defense can prevent the other team from scoring, we should come out ahead in a lot of games. Generally, if you outscore the other team, that fact causes you to win games.

I'm optimistic after watching it, ~ 12 minutes long.

As mentioned, he has a strong arm, and he has some pocket presence and scrambling ability.

I think he's gonna be a star. Our offense can score, we just need the D to stop opponents.

also about that MD game that people don't realize the WR's that game were either extremely raw or average.
Byrd played but dude was average at best WR.
Hurns first career game.
Streeter first career start
Dorsett first career game.
Ford blah

My favorite throw is at 2:14. Steps up, looks at Byrd, moves the backer over a step to the right, then comes left and throws a rocket to Hurns through a tiny window.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back