HardRock turf

What a mess, putting new sod down now with only a few days until another game, that should work out really well. All it tells me is the field Miami played on Saturday was destroyed beyond repair.

Advertisement
The turf doesn't get enough sonlight. It also seems like it's in a constant state of wetness.

There are probably multiple reasons people can come up with for sticking with grass but me being a soccer guy must bring up what I know about the situation.

The dolphins owner has been quoted as saying he wants to bring in more big name soccer matches to the stadium. Not only friendly (exhibition) matches Like Real Madrid and Barcelona that sold out the Stadium this summer and generated some revenue...
... but he also wants to be a part of any future Gold Cups, Copa Americas and most importantly the World Cup bid in 2026.

Field turf would basically kill any chances of hosting those tournaments so I think that is a factor. Maybe not the main factor, but a factor.

Forty-One Cities Across Canada, Mexico and the United States Submit Bids to Serve as Host Cities in United Bid for 2026 FIFA World Cup - U.S. Soccer

Edmonton, Montreal, Ottawa, Regina, Vancouver, Atlanta, Birmingham, Foxborough, Minnesota, Houston, New York, Indy, Detroit, Seattle, Dallas, Orlando, Salt Lake City and San Antonio all submitted bids with artificial surfaces.

So probably not as big of an issue as it could be.

Last edited:
I'm selfish & miss our Miami Hurricanes end zones from The Orange Bowl, so I wish they would go to field turf & have a setup similar to the Giants/Jets stadium.

[video=youtube_share;mRBbvSxXvmI]https://youtu.be/mRBbvSxXvmI[/video]

I agree, miss the endzones.

I think the big issue they would have to overcome for the FieldTurf would be the 50 yard logos based on the above video.

USC to Los Angeles Rams is a good example that the fields can be unique. But cost and sun light seem to be huge factors.

[video=youtube;Nl10o0jSmbc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl10o0jSmbc[/video]

I'm selfish & miss our Miami Hurricanes end zones from The Orange Bowl, so I wish they would go to field turf & have a setup similar to the Giants/Jets stadium.

[video=youtube_share;mRBbvSxXvmI]https://youtu.be/mRBbvSxXvmI[/video]
Music to my ears, easy fix and don't have to have some generically awful "MIAMI" in the end zone. Maybe after this weekend, after we destroy this new turf, they will make the change next year.

Edit: Just a hypothetical thought: if we go to the Orange Bowl this year, it would be the first time this year in our own stadium that we have our own customized end zone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Poor weather affects the option more than traditional offenses because pitching a wet ball is much harder than throwing one. Option offenses are already fumble prone, add a wet football and the pitch becomes even riskier.

As for the turf, they're in a bind because of the overhang and South Florida's weather. The turf needs to not only grow with minimal sunlight, it has to hold up to the torrential downpours we get on all the time here. Artificial might end up being the best outcome but it won't happen until next season at least.
The rain started falling at the start of the 4th Qtr. We were shutting them down before that. They got most of their yards on the first 2 drives. People keeping saying the rain stop them like it was falling most of the way.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I didn't say the rain was what stopped them. All i said was that the rain affects an option offense more than a traditional offense.

Poor weather affects the option more than traditional offenses because pitching a wet ball is much harder than throwing one. Option offenses are already fumble prone, add a wet football and the pitch becomes even riskier.

As for the turf, they're in a bind because of the overhang and South Florida's weather. The turf needs to not only grow with minimal sunlight, it has to hold up to the torrential downpours we get on all the time here. Artificial might end up being the best outcome but it won't happen until next season at least.
The rain started falling at the start of the 4th Qtr. We were shutting them down before that. They got most of their yards on the first 2 drives. People keeping saying the rain stop them like it was falling most of the way.

I didn't say the rain was what stopped them. All i said was that the rain affects an option offense more than a traditional offense.
Their **** was shut down since the second qtr. And they would have been forced out of their game if we didn't gift them that KR TD.

This was taken before Bethune.

DKVNwYwUEAAZt6Z.jpg

While they're at it they should fix the sound system...still isn't right with broadcasting, band etc from field level.

Advertisement
There are probably multiple reasons people can come up with for sticking with grass but me being a soccer guy must bring up what I know about the situation.

The dolphins owner has been quoted as saying he wants to bring in more big name soccer matches to the stadium. Not only friendly (exhibition) matches Like Real Madrid and Barcelona that sold out the Stadium this summer and generated some revenue...
... but he also wants to be a part of any future Gold Cups, Copa Americas and most importantly the World Cup bid in 2026.

Field turf would basically kill any chances of hosting those tournaments so I think that is a factor. Maybe not the main factor, but a factor.

A couple of weeks ago the US, Mexico and Canada trimmed their list of potential host cities for their 2026 tri-bid to 32 cities. 25 cities are in the US, 4 in Canada and 3 in Mexico. Miami survived the cut.

Their **** was shut down since the second qtr. And they would have been forced out of their game if we didn't gift them that KR TD.

Um...please re read my last post and tell me where I say "the rain stopped Georgia Tech, not Miami". You're not going to find it. Stop quoting my posts now.

World cup in Miami would be awesome!!! Hope that happens!!!

Think about how incredible it would be if team USA could make the field!

Forty-One Cities Across Canada, Mexico and the United States Submit Bids to Serve as Host Cities in United Bid for 2026 FIFA World Cup - U.S. Soccer

Edmonton, Montreal, Ottawa, Regina, Vancouver, Atlanta, Birmingham, Foxborough, Minnesota, Houston, New York, Indy, Detroit, Seattle, Dallas, Orlando, Salt Lake City and San Antonio all submitted bids with artificial surfaces.

So probably not as big of an issue as it could be.

Grass fields are priority. The list will be cut down again soon (to about 10-12 stadiums) and I bet all the ones that have turf in the United States will promise FIFA and the US Federation that they will have temporary grass for the World Cup which is not ideal. Having a real grass field is ideal and will be the priority.

Last edited:
Advertisement

World cup in Miami would be awesome!!! Hope that happens!!!

Think about how incredible it would be if team USA could make the field!

The USA is guaranteed to make the field in 2026 since Host Nations get automatic bids (Assuming the USA is awarded the bid which they are favored to.).
Would be cool to see the USA play in Florida since 1994 was mostly California with one game in Detroit. Which by the way had temporary grass at the Silvedome.

Last edited:
******* Tom Garfinkle. This squarely on his smug ***. Jerk.

Touting that place like the second coming since sliced bread. Now it's like a giant terrarium. They should just turn it into a reptile exhibit.

Advertisement
I would guess it costs about 100 large to sod the field. You have to wonder how much longer this goes on before they just put in field turf.

In all fairness, with that kind of a tropical downpour, most grass fields are going to turn to slop. For a while there, it was raining so hard it was actually making it difficult for me to see the detail of the players on the field. Lot of water in not a lot of time to drain. I can recall some games at the old Joe Robbie Stadium when the field got turned into the same muddy slip and slide, and that was when the prescription athletic turf had full sun the whole day.

Guessing and hoping that when/if we ever hit the dry season, the field won't be as much of an issue. For now, I'll take the advantage - is it wrong that I'm kind of hoping similar field conditions exist for the Syracuse game? Let's see how fast and flashy they can play on a sloppy field.

Advertisement
Back