Great coach or Great recruiter?

I always lean to great recruiters. In general I think a team can be more successful with an average coach and great players, than average players and a great coach.

But you've pretty much gotta be in the SEC, or a major state school, these days to be a great recruiter.

These coaches aren't doing anything special up there. It's a grind for their bagmen though.

You tellin me that Hugh Freeze is a great recruiter? gtfoh
Jimbo Fisher a great recruiter? please

Only elite recruiters I see, with our without bagmen, are Dabo, Saban, Meyer, and Harbaugh.

Advertisement
I always lean to great recruiters. In general I think a team can be more successful with an average coach and great players, than average players and a great coach.

But you've pretty much gotta be in the SEC, or a major state school, these days to be a great recruiter.

These coaches aren't doing anything special up there. It's a grind for their bagmen though.

You tellin me that Hugh Freeze is a great recruiter? gtfoh
Jimbo Fisher a great recruiter? please

Only elite recruiters I see, with our without bagmen, are Dabo, Saban, Meyer, and Harbaugh.

Look at the schools in the playoffs. Now look at their coaches - Dabo, Peterson, Saban and Meyer. Of that list, Dabo's the worst coach. Great coaching will make up for a lot of flaws. But you still need to be able to recruit to be successful, which winning helps. Look at Golden, he was known as a master recruiting, but he couldn't even win our division and we had everyone beat with talent.

Coker, Shannon and Golden all had highly ranked recruiting classes and they translated to mediocre football teams. I want coaches who make players better. I got tired of seeing guys not get better after three or four years here. I want a coach that can take a good player and make him a great player.

Advertisement
Coker, Shannon and Golden all had highly ranked recruiting classes and they translated to mediocre football teams. I want coaches who make players better. I got tired of seeing guys not get better after three or four years here. I want a coach that can take a good player and make him a great player.

Those guys could not recruit just saying....I don't care what the classes r ranked a lot of there players didn't do **** in the NFL with real coaching compared to Butch's guys. Maybe a better question is coaching or a guy who identifies talent like saban......its like he knows who's going to be a savage and if he pulls someone there ranking goes up because he found him.

Advertisement
A winning team makes a great coach a great recruiter

You put Saban at FIU and he aint going to be a great recruiter or a great coach very long.

The answer is that it takes both, great recruiters can overcome bad coaching and great coaching can help overcome bad recruiting.

Miami is in a unique position in that it has tons of talent here and we have seen what bad coaches and what bad recruiting can do.

I know people want to act like we have been deep ask shiat in talent over the last 10 years but it simply isn't the truth, yes we had some bad *** players but we were not deep and had wholes all over the field because of it. What we have now is a local base thats super critical of the Canes and we need to break that sigma.

If Richt would have pulled out 2 more wins we would have a top 10 class if not a top 5. Now we are going to have to lean on the coaching for our success. I say that because we have had bad coaches who relied on our talent that won out. If Elmer Fud can win here then anyone can win here if they have the talent, but you have to convince the talent to come and breaking that stigma is important.

I also think that Richt is a different type of recruiter now than he was when he got to Georgia. He relies more on relationships now where when he first got to Georgia the area was so pumped to get some of that FSU success he pulled in the 10th ranked class his first year and went 8-4. Next year pulled in another top 10 class and then won the SEC and beat FSU in the sugar bowl and finished ranked 3.

Right now we have the 15th ranked class and could end up close to top 10. We are going to have our best defense in some time next year (because of coaching and recruiting) and will be primed to make a run at our best season in some time. I think that's the kind of thing we need to break the stigma surrounding the program right now and when that happens and we have 2 full years of relationships established by Richt on the recruiting trail and then I expect the classes to start filling out like we expect and we will be back.

Advertisement
Back