Gattis Sucks Bro Super Megathread

I would love to hear what the feeling behind closed doors is on this offense, my goodness. Like is it a real possibility Mario moves on from gattis? I dont see it lol just our luck

Hey you never know. It seems lately, we've been lucky on coaching changing. Richt was going to get a new OC but instead stepped down. Manny Diaz fired Enos after one year. So it might happen again.

Advertisement
Yay Mario

hes a Miami guy

great job manny, I mean Mario

sad to say but Manny’s team would hang 60+ on this team.

some of the worst football I’ve seen in awhile

I skipped the Virginia game and I don't regret it. This season has been terrible to watch. I'm amazed that they're 4-4. Somehow VA and VA Tech are worst then us.

It's funny, I read a lot of the apologists for these coaches here constantly revert to, "Do you think Mario, Gattis, etc. all of the sudden forget how to coach when they got to Miami?"

My response is, did these same players forget how to play than? Because we have the same core players on offense from last year, yet we are literally scoring half as many points per game against P5 opponents this year. We are also infinitely worse in yards per play, explosive plays, rushing the ball, protecting the passer and other categories as well.

While players have made there share of mistakes, it is undeniable this staff is much more at fault for the regression of this team. The wins and losses, stats and eye test all support that uniquevocally.

Facts!! They make it out like Rambo was Jerry Rice and was the reason our offense was any good last year. Rambo's loss shouldn't be this big of a drop off on offense. TVD will throw 400 yards and we can't even get in the 20s. Some of the apologists even made it as if TVD just forgot to play football. GTFO here its the **** scheme

golden-girls-laughing-hysterically.gif

Can someone explain why Enos and Gattis deliver such putrid offensive performances at UM but had really potent offenses at Arkansas, Michigan and Maryland? Maryland is 28th in total offense this year and Gattis was 16th last year in a much more difficult conference. I can see the argument that Michigan was a lot more talented but I don’t understand how Enos can make it work at Maryland with a big talent deficit. At what position group is Maryland more talented than UM? Enos put up 28 points against Michigan who has a much better defense than anyone we will face.

The type of offense that Gattis / Enos runs doesn't fit the personnel that we have. Also, Gattis only had 1 good year at Michigan, and even throughout that 1 good year, people talked about how bad his starting QB was and how the backup would do so much better if they gave him a chance (sounds familiar?)

Michigan scored 35.3 ppg in 2018 while Gattis was Co-OC.
2019 he got promoted to OC and they dropped to 31.7 ppg
2020 his 2nd year at OC they dropped again to 28.3 ppg
2021 Harbaugh changed up the offensive staff and all of a sudden they're averaging 41 ppg

2015 Ark under Dan Enos had a great year...They regressed every year after that until the HC got fired and Enos got the boot with him.

Current Dan Enos is coaching as OC under an offensive HC that most definitely has a hand in that offense and QB room.
Gattis under Harbaugh was also coaching as OC under a HC that was a former QB.

Current Gattis is coaching under Cristobal who isn't known for anything schematically.
Enos coached under Diaz and had full reins of the offense, while practicing against a defense with way too many flaws.

Advertisement
Not only that, Gattis was NOT the main play caller last year. This has been talked about on other threads this year. Harbaugh brought in 2 other guys last season (which are now the full time OC/play caller this season because he had been unhappy with Gattis’ play calling and scheme.
Yet he was still voted by his peers of coaches all around the country as the best assistant coach in the country. Are you saying you know more than the people who actually make a living doing it?

I honestly have no idea if he is good or not because I have never played a down or organized football in my life but I am smart enough to know that if an entire group of people who do something for a living, collectively decide that one of their own is the best at what they all do, there has to be some truth to it.

Enos and Gattis were both mediocre before Miami hired them. Both essentially got the job because of their prior experience as assistants at Alabama. Enos was QB coach and Gattis was WR coach. Enos’ prior stints running his offer were mostly unimpressive at Arkansas and Central Michigan. His preferred system was very much an out dated pro style system featuring a lot of quarterback under center with two running backs or a single back with two tight ends. His success at Maryland is more due to the fact that he’s running his head coach’s system. Mike Locksley was the actual coordinator at Alabama while Enos and Gattis were there. If you watch Maryland, their offense looks nothing like Miami’s offense under Penos.

Gattis was close to being fired at Michigan before Harbaugh took a lot of his responsibility away for the 2021 season. Which was really his only good season as a coordinator. They had a lot of success because the strength of their offense was the line. They didn’t have a super talented quarterback so they just used him as a game manager while their running game bludgeoned opponents. Miami is clearly the exact opposite of that situation. We have a playmaking quarterback but a weak offensive line. Gattis still runs an offense like he’s got Michigan’s roster. It’s an offense that can’t succeed if the running game isn’t dominant. Even during games that he’s let Van Dyke throw a ton, you can see the red zone struggles in the passing game. He doesn’t know how to scheme open receivers. He is used to just running the ball in the red zone and not needing to worry about throwing it. We didn’t even attempt a pass into the end zone until like week 5. Everything was an underneath pass that required the receiver to do all the work to get into the end zone

Can someone explain why Enos and Gattis deliver such putrid offensive performances at UM but had really potent offenses at Arkansas, Michigan and Maryland? Maryland is 28th in total offense this year and Gattis was 16th last year in a much more difficult conference. I can see the argument that Michigan was a lot more talented but I don’t understand how Enos can make it work at Maryland with a big talent deficit. At what position group is Maryland more talented than UM? Enos put up 28 points against Michigan who has a much better defense than anyone we will face.
Some things are better left unsaid....

Advertisement
Yet he was still voted by his peers of coaches all around the country as the best assistant coach in the country. Are you saying you know more than the people who actually make a living doing it?

The Broyles award is for a single season of success. Not a lifetime achievement award for sustained success. This is currently Josh Gattis’ fourth season as an OC and 2021 was his only good one.

I knew Mario made a huge mistake hiring him when nobody in Michigan cared that he left. They were mostly happy to see him go. Just like we’ll be happy to see him go after this year

Usually comes down to the OL. I’m guessing it is just a multitude of things here.

Advertisement
The type of offense that Gattis / Enos runs doesn't fit the personnel that we have. Also, Gattis only had 1 good year at Michigan, and even throughout that 1 good year, people talked about how bad his starting QB was and how the backup would do so much better if they gave him a chance (sounds familiar?)

Michigan scored 35.3 ppg in 2018 while Gattis was Co-OC.
2019 he got promoted to OC and they dropped to 31.7 ppg
2020 his 2nd year at OC they dropped again to 28.3 ppg
2021 Harbaugh changed up the offensive staff and all of a sudden they're averaging 41 ppg

2015 Ark under Dan Enos had a great year...They regressed every year after that until the HC got fired and Enos got the boot with him.

Current Dan Enos is coaching as OC under an offensive HC that most definitely has a hand in that offense and QB room.
Gattis under Harbaugh was also coaching as OC under a HC that was a former QB.

Current Gattis is coaching under Cristobal who isn't known for anything schematically.
Enos coached under Diaz and had full reins of the offense, while practicing against a defense with way too many flaws.
Good post.

It logically reminds me of Addae and coming from a system where the head coach’s specialty was dbs for many years under Saban.

The danger with hiring anyone from a great system or with a superior coach whose specialty is that position, is you don’t know how well the candidate coach has blossomed on their own. Have they actually learned? Or were they the mouthpiece for their boss (Addae/Smart).

To counteract the dangers of hiring from coaching trees is you want to see some sample size of them on their own to ensure they weren’t just Derek Zoolander carrying out instructions in their prior job with the master of the craft.

The Broyles award is for a single season of success. Not a lifetime achievement award for sustained success. This is currently Josh Gattis’ fourth season as an OC and 2021 was his only good one.

I knew Mario made a huge mistake hiring him when nobody in Michigan cared that he left. They were mostly happy to see him go. Just like we’ll be happy to see him go after this year
If only Mario had listened to you instead of the people who actually do this for a living.

Advertisement
Brantley grinds my gears. I’ve been calling for him all year. He’s a different kind of guy with a intriguing skill set. He’s a Swiss Army knife that can do a lot well. None of it **** but it’s effective. From blocking inline as a te , in the backfield as a lead blocker , catching the ball and sneaky athletic when running. I’d use him like a poor man Powers at UGA. Even some carries here and there on a te end around. These coaches have no creativity.

He looked solid out there. Moved well. To your point, he played like someone that could create options for the offense.

Last edited:
Good post.

It logically reminds me of Addae and coming from a system where the head coach’s specialty was dbs for many years under Saban.

The danger with hiring anyone from a great system or with a superior coach whose specialty is that position, is you don’t know how well the candidate coach has blossomed on their own. Have they actually learned? Or were they the mouthpiece for their boss (Addae/Smart).

To counteract the dangers of hiring from coaching trees is you want to see some sample size of them on their own to ensure they weren’t just Derek Zoolander carrying out instructions in their prior job with the master of the craft.
Except Addae had success at WV which got him the UGA job. I'm willing to give Addae more time because you can't fix the DB's bad habits in one off-season. Gattis, though, is a problem.

Just watch Gattis if he ever has to actually talk X's and O's....the guy doesn't know ****. He's finessed his way into being a very rich man though, so i guess he gets credit for essentially being a con man
I remember when Mike Locksley called him out for taking credit for play calling at Bama. You rarely see coaches criticize each other like that. The dude is a fraud, but Mario fell for the bull****.

Advertisement
Back