Gaby on roster retention...

Advertisement
The last time I had low expectations for our team was before the 2017 season and we ended up having one of our best seasons in years, I have low expectations this year again so hopefully they prove me wrong this year again.

Advertisement
I actually didn’t want to retain the 2 deep

Are we to believe that the entire CULTURE narrative just applied to a few guys that didn’t play ruining the team?

This doesn’t jive for me with all the excuses we were given on why we were so terrible
A few guys! We've had over 50 guys leave since '21 that's at least a four deep with a couple more sprinkled in do you want a Colorado type exodus?

Advertisement
To be fair, prior to Spring camp, we had massive turnover. Since Mario was announced as HC on 12/6/2021:

1/7/2022 Silvera
2/14/2022 Larry Hodges
4/13/2022 Austin-Cave
4/29/2022 Worsham, Troutman,Cameron Williams
8/20/2022 Marcus Clarke
Only 7 kids transferred out prior to Season 1

11/16/2022 Frierson
12/1 2022 Blades
12/5/2022 Avantae Williams, Dunson, Jalen Harrell, KeyShawn Smith, Thad Franklin, Elijah Roberts, Keshawn Washington, Alan Haye
12/6/2022 Jordan Miller
12/7/2022 Darrell Jackson, Knighton
12/8/2022 Brinson
12/13/2022 Khamauri Rogers
12/16/2022 John Campbell
12/20/2022 Avery Huff
01/17/2023 Jake Garcia, Jakai Clark
However, 19 kids transferred out after Season 1 and before Spring Camp

Since
04/15/2023 Kahlil Brantley
04/19/2023 Ishmael
Only 2 kids transferred out during/after camp prior to portal shutting down again
I think you're kinda proving my point. I'm not sure when Mario said the roster would look significantly (spring to fall) different but I'm pretty sure it was this year. You have four guys transferring out this year. It remains to be seen how many transfer in. We held onto our players is a big change from being significantly different. I could be wrong on the wording and the dates and I'll take that heat. I'm just pointing out the narrative has apparently changed. I'm not trying to hate on the kids here. I saw a post recently showing that stars wise last years roster was our most talented in close to fifteen years I think. Lots of differing spin lately.

I actually didn’t want to retain the 2 deep

Are we to believe that the entire CULTURE narrative just applied to a few guys that didn’t play ruining the team?

This doesn’t jive for me with all the excuses we were given on why we were so terrible

Most of it was purged and slowly replaced already. Maybe the kids that stuck have their heads on straight now with the troublemakers out, and leadership brought in. I think we've all witnessed good hard working people get caught up and feed into bad culture (school, work etc) situations.

Glass half full.

I think coaches were surprised there wasn’t more departures and that’s why the portal hasn’t been quite as busy. I still think we add more guys though.
Cribby, can't we just tell a player he doesn't have a spot on the team or do you mean leaving other teams?

Advertisement
Not sure but if they have the room I think they could take the juco OL
I don't know anything either way but can you tell us that Mario is at least shooting his shot with some of these WR1's who have entered the portal lately?

Most of it was purged and slowly replaced already. Maybe the kids that stuck have their heads on straight now with the troublemakers out, and leadership brought in. I think we've all witnessed good hard working people get caught up and feed into bad culture (school, work etc) situations.

Glass half full.
Hopefully you’re right

I guess I just didn’t see many guys leave that should have had an impact on what happened last year

I was expecting to lose more of the Darrell Jackson types (as in importance to the team) but that didn’t happen

Advertisement
Just curious, who are the so called troublemakers that left?
i'm not sure we are going to find out, but we have a short list here. they left because of (a) lack of talent or (b) culture (troublemakers or not willing to work hard).

1/7/2022 Silvera
2/14/2022 Larry Hodges
4/13/2022 Austin-Cave
4/29/2022 Worsham, Troutman,Cameron Williams
8/20/2022 Marcus Clarke
Only 7 kids transferred out prior to Season 1

11/16/2022 Frierson
12/1 2022 Blades
12/5/2022 Avantae Williams, Dunson, Jalen Harrell, KeyShawn Smith, Thad Franklin, Elijah Roberts, Keshawn Washington, Alan Haye
12/6/2022 Jordan Miller
12/7/2022 Darrell Jackson, Knighton
12/8/2022 Brinson
12/13/2022 Khamauri Rogers
12/16/2022 John Campbell
12/20/2022 Avery Huff
01/17/2023 Jake Garcia, Jakai Clark
However, 19 kids transferred out after Season 1 and before Spring Camp

Since
04/15/2023 Kahlil Brantley
04/19/2023 Ishmael
Only 2 kids transferred out during/after camp prior to portal shutting down again

Hopefully you’re right

I guess I just didn’t see many guys leave that should have had an impact on what happened last year

I was expecting to lose more of the Darrell Jackson types (as in importance to the team) but that didn’t happen
I suspected more would leave. Not sure how i feel about it. On one hand, it tells me kids are buying in and on the other, I would like to see some leave because they won’t see the field and I want change.

I suspected more would leave. Not sure how i feel about it. On one hand, it tells me kids are buying in and on the other, I would like to see some leave because they won’t see the field and I want change.
I’m on board with this

Faith has gotta be in the coaches I guess which they definitely didn’t earn last year

But time will tell

Advertisement
Back