For all the people who claim Mario changed the offense just watch this

Advertisement
Exactly. The offensive style and gameplanning over the past few games is not the same as the first 4. It makes no sense that Dawson slowed the game down so much and started using the bunch formation as a standard part of his strategy. NC State was probably the worst. It was one of the slowest-moving, methodical offensive game plans I've seen im years.
It does make sense when you factor in the way Tyler has been playing. The answer to a struggling QB is not letting him throw the ball more. If we do that he just throws more INTs.

Advertisement
Honestly I think Mario struck out on other oc targets and settled for Dawson

I think Mario bungled the OC hire two years in a row and just made the wrong choices.

It really isn't that difficult to find a competent OC who understands how to attack different defenses and study their own tendencies. We encounter them every week. They make good calls but they don't have the players so many die on the LOS. We have the players but choose to be meatheads about it.

It's pretty clear FSU scouted that in certain situations/formations we like to throw screens, 3rd and medium in particular, and that we also don't slide our protections great either.

After the first blitz got home, a merely competent OC would show that look again, but counter the defense with a break in tendencies-- triangle route, wheel route, double move, something to let the opposing DC know it's game over on that issue.

I don't think Dawson sucks, to be clear, but he clearly isn't comfortable here either. There are too many concepts we saw early in the year which have disappeared and been replaced with BROBALL Wing-T bull****. That is not his background. He hasn't been anywhere that used them much either. It's Bizario.

Indeed my cousin who is a cougar alum tolde I will be disappointed
I’m a two time cougar alum and former scholarship athlete . I’m here to tell yall all the smart fans of Houston football were *****ing and moaning as he left. The narrative we wanted him gone comes from a small percentage of the fan base. We were happy to see him go IF that meant Dana was gone too

I think Mario bungled the OC hire two years in a row and just made the wrong choices.

It really isn't that difficult to find a competent OC who understands how to attack different defenses and study their own tendencies. We encounter them every week. They make good calls but they don't have the players so many die on the LOS. We have the players but choose to be meatheads about it.

It's pretty clear FSU scouted that in certain situations/formations we like to throw screens, 3rd and medium in particular, and that we also don't slide our protections great either.

After the first blitz got home, a merely competent OC would show that look again, but counter the defense with a break in tendencies-- triangle route, wheel route, double move, something to let the opposing DC know it's game over on that issue.

I don't think Dawson sucks, to be clear, but he clearly isn't comfortable here either. There are too many concepts we saw early in the year which have disappeared and been replaced with BROBALL Wing-T bull****. That is not his background. He hasn't been anywhere that used them much either. It's Bizario.
What concepts did we see earlier in the year?

What concepts did we see earlier in the year that were not seeing now? To me the offense just looked so/so earlier in the year and thats with playing against non power 5 schools outside of a&m. Even in the a&m game we threw ball 20 or more only 3 times.

Advertisement
If TVD wasn’t turning the ball over there’s a good chance this team may be uefeated at this point.

you can blame all those losses on something else if you want but the fact is the losses fall firmly on TVDs shoulders.

a top tier QB on his A game would have this team undefeated, at the very worst 1 loss

No hatred here for TVD, just facts

In spite of TVDs struggles, no one can make the claim that Dawson was exploiting any weaknesses in the defense or enacting any counter measures

Redzone and 3rd down efficiency fell off the table in conference

1st down inside zone run plays we’re about as predictable as you can get

Way too little play action
Virtually zero RB screens (see what FSU does)
Way too little RPO
Not enough motion or misdirection

I’d invite someone that likes Dawson to detail what it is that they like about how he calls a game

If TVD wasn’t turning the ball over there’s a good chance this team may be uefeated at this point.

you can blame all those losses on something else if you want but the fact is the losses fall firmly on TVDs shoulders.

a top tier QB on his A game would have this team undefeated, at the very worst 1 loss

No hatred here for TVD, just facts
This is true. Tyler struggling against zone coverage is the main reason the offensive production fell off a cliff. Still it's the OC/QB coach's job to either fix the issues with his quarterback or change what he's doing to work around the issues. Or if the starter is that far gone, the next man in line should be prepped to run the offense. Dawson hasn't shown the ability to work around a player's shortcomings. TVD looks more lost than ever and the gameplan, whether with Tyler or Emory has been to not risk throwing the ball unless you absolutely have to. Which I get to an extent. It's just that you're making things even harder on your quarterback when you run EVERY first down and only throw on third and long type of situations.

Advertisement
Does this not look pretty much look like the same playcalling we've seen Dawson do here?

Appreciate this post as it debunks one of many bull**** narratives this board likes to run with.

100% the blame falls on the HC for poor OC/player talent. Same way it falls on guys who have soft teams or teams that don't play D.

But let's look at the facts when it comes to these narratives:

1. Mario the meddler - This really started with Joe Moorehead in the Oregon fanbase. Well pull up PSU offense with Moorehead and point to me what is different. The difference was skill talent - McSorley, Barkley/Miles Sanders, DeaSean Hamilton and Mike Gesicki vs. Oregon who had - wait for it - zero draft picks at skill positions. The OP in this thread is another example. The offense is pretty much the same. Condensed formations, with similar motion from TE/slot on occasion, and spread looks mixed in, only to go back to condensed formations.

2. Mario the QB killer - Study #1 - Justin Herbert - Hard to judge since he didn't play anywhere else in college, but he was 66.8% completion, 8.1 YPA 32/6 TD (little better than 5/1) ratio in 2019 and went 12-2. In the NFL he has a 30-28 record, 67% completions, 7.2 YPA, 111 TDs to 40 picks (little less than 3/1 ratio). Obviously, the NFL is a different ball game and a million other factors come in, but where exactly did Mario hold him back at Oregon?? Hard to point anything he is doing better in the NFL compared to college.

Study #2 - Tyler Shough - not going to post the numbers but he was actually BETTER at Oregon anyway you slice it compared to at Texas Tech - and it's not particularly close. Where is the QB killing?

Study #3 - Anthony Brown - Passing numbers are nearly identical to BC, but he ran for FIVE TIMES as many yards at Oregon than he ever did at BC. Where was he held back?

3. The new CIS go to "fast and fizical." Weren't you the same clowns complaining about how soft we were under the last regime? Name one championship contender that is not fast and physical? How is that not a desirable trait? You don't portal in fast and physical, you build it through culture over time.

Again, improving the O ultimately falls on the HC, as it should. But there is plenty of evidence showing these narratives are bull****.

It does make sense when you factor in the way Tyler has been playing. The answer to a struggling QB is not letting him throw the ball more. If we do that he just throws more INTs.
Its not about how often they throw. TVD has definitely struggled, but in the past hes also done better with more tempo, more spread, and quick throws. Dawson instead has compounded the problem by moving to super slow motion offense and frequent use of tight formations.

Advertisement
I only watched the first minute or so but I didn't see a run on every first down. I didn't see the same run up the middle when they did run. I didn't see the amazing slow developing shotgun run plays. I didn't see back to back to back runs.

That didn't look at all like our offense.
respectfully, i have to question if you've watched us at all ... george runs that pattern from the first play in the clip atleast five times a game

I don't know what is going on with the offense or who is to blame but;

In this clip I just watched more motion, RB screens, more formations in one half of football than I have seen in the last 6 weeks. What we see here is no where near what we have seen recently. I think people would love to see all the plays I just watched.

I don't need Dawson to leave...I just want him to run the O that we saw in the first few weeks or even in this video.
Exactly the actual plays haven’t changed but the situations that Holgerson is using plays in, the pre snap motion, even the spacing are all different from what we are actually seeing.

Mike Leach had 4000 yard QB’s for seemingly 25 straight years that’s a product of his ability to find great QB’s?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back