Emory Williams vs Ball State Breakdown

View as article
How many Cam Wards come along? The guy is the #1 Heisman candidate at the moment, definitely playing at a Top 5 college QB level. I doubt we'll see someone in the portal even close to his level unless we identify them early and start back channeling. Even then, the odds are against us getting someone transformational like him.

Having Emory as our fallback option is such a luxury. We know we can win games with him, especially if he keeps improving under Dawson and Ward, which he will. Can we win a Natty? I don't see it, but maybe he has it in him to be our next Ken Dorsey. Can we win 10 and get to the ACCCG? Probably.

Let's look at the downside risk here. Clemson went 8-4 last season with a weaker roster than we have. And Emory is better than Klubnik, with so much more room to improve. To me, that suggests that an Emory-led team's floor is 8 or 9 wins.

Not a bad situation to be in right now. Difference vs a year-ago is absolutely incredible

Advertisement

The Canes made a big switch this past week with true sophomore QB Emory Williams finishing the Ball State game, Reese Poffenbarger received the mop up duty vs UF & FAMU respectively.

In his first action since FSU last season, Emory was able to show his quick release and accurate passing. While most of his 11 completions were short throws, it is the ball placement that promoted yards after the catch opportunities.

His ability to diagnose coverages pre-snap was apparent on several throws, Allowing him to pick and choose when he would push the ball downfield which he did with success going 2/2 on passes over 20 yards. He utilized the Pre-Snap motion to identify the coverage and knew he was going to Lofton the entire time as he looked the Safety off.

As highlighted in the first two clips in the video above, I loved the way he responded after not seeing "x" break open on a corner route. He went to the sideline saw it and when he got the same play call vs Man coverage again, he did not hesitate to hit Ray Ray Joseph on the corner route.

Being able to apply corrections or adjust in your first game back in over a year is impressive, even more so for a true Sophomore. While the canes most certainly will entertain QB's in the transfer portal, It has to feel great to see the development of HS recruits at the position. #GoCanes

Love the writeup and play diagnostics. Thank you!

I have no qualms about Emory-he can play-

Next year this team is his-

Unless they get a serious contender in the portal for competition.

I love the kid’s heart and think he can be okay to good but the difference in talent between him and Cam is polarizing. It’s hard not to see a major drop off between the two, should that be the direction we go in. I am not making any declarations. That’s just what I see today. Could absolutely change tomorrow or with a convincing enough argument from others. But no, I don’t think we can compete for a championship with Emory and the roster is quickly accelerating toward a championship roster.
It's really, really hard to overestimate the grading curve between Cam and Emory, it's night and day. I'm not gonna contrast the two but yeah... THIS is the year to make a run.

Emory's ceiling is Chad Pennington IMO - that's not a knock.

Advertisement
It is ridiculous to compare someone with approx. 44 starts to a younger qb with 1 complete game, not to mention that was a win was against a high ranked Clemson team. He probably had a 50-50% chance of winning that FSU game if not for the injury. TVD comes in, throws a pick, ballgame over. We have no idea what Emory will be in the future, Talk to me two-three years from now, and lets make the comparison

The Canes made a big switch this past week with true sophomore QB Emory Williams finishing the Ball State game, Reese Poffenbarger received the mop up duty vs UF & FAMU respectively.

In his first action since FSU last season, Emory was able to show his quick release and accurate passing. While most of his 11 completions were short throws, it is the ball placement that promoted yards after the catch opportunities.

His ability to diagnose coverages pre-snap was apparent on several throws, Allowing him to pick and choose when he would push the ball downfield which he did with success going 2/2 on passes over 20 yards. He utilized the Pre-Snap motion to identify the coverage and knew he was going to Lofton the entire time as he looked the Safety off.

As highlighted in the first two clips in the video above, I loved the way he responded after not seeing "x" break open on a corner route. He went to the sideline saw it and when he got the same play call vs Man coverage again, he did not hesitate to hit Ray Ray Joseph on the corner route.

Being able to apply corrections or adjust in your first game back in over a year is impressive, even more so for a true Sophomore. While the canes most certainly will entertain QB's in the transfer portal, It has to feel great to see the development of HS recruits at the position. #GoCanes

Give this young man some time.

Think he has tremendous potential, a quality arm, very good ball placement and seems committed to becoming better.

Issue with Emory next year as the starter is he is not a creator. The pocket has to be good and the receivers gotta be open(to an extent)

We lose rivers carpenter and maybe cooper on the line. And we lose brown x and George and probably arroyo.

Let’s see. I like the kid and hope he succeeds

Advertisement
It is ridiculous to compare someone with approx. 44 starts to a younger qb with 1 complete game, not to mention that was a win was against a high ranked Clemson team. He probably had a 50-50% chance of winning that FSU game if not for the injury. TVD comes in, throws a pick, ballgame over. We have no idea what Emory will be in the future, Talk to me two-three years from now, and lets make the comparison
Exactly. Ward wasn’t on god level until he got to Miami. He was a nice qb that turned the ball over a lot because he tried to do too much. Miami and Ward is a nice marriage of talent , OL and a talented qb. Ward was at Incarnate Word when he was at the same age as Emory. Let’s not act like he was this at the same point. People improve.

Advertisement
Back