Ed. Reed for secondary coach?

"Street ball"? How did Al Golden fare playing that scaredy cat,soft, coochie, suburban ball?

Do you think Jimmy Johnson just told the kids "ok boys just go out and sack em!"

He did it with Danny Stubbs.
But answer my question...how did AG fare playing that scaredy cat,soft,coochie *** brand of football?

What does Al Golden and scardey cat football have to do with actually coaching/schemes???

Nick Saban's playbook for defense is over 300 pages. Is that scardey cat football? Do you realize how dumb you sound?

***** I care about a Saban playbook? Can a playbook tell you how the game feels like an Ed Reed? I might sound dumb, but you sound like a phuckin' nerd who's never played the game. "Street ball".."Saban's playbook"...LMFAO! FOHWTS!

LOLOL so Ed Reed is going to tell kids how the game feels? He has to be able to teach kids the position, not talk about what it's like to be in the Superbowl. What is it exactly that you think coaches do????? Do you think the job is just to recruit and then gas them up?

What exactly do you think the job is? B/C you are clearly clueless.

Advertisement
So they apply that to the collegiate level, thinking all you need is to collect talent, "swag" them out, and let them play street ball.

"Street ball"? How did Al Golden fare playing that scaredy cat,soft, coochie, suburban ball?

Do you think Jimmy Johnson just told the kids "ok boys just go out and sack em!"

But answer my question...how did AG fare playing that scaredy cat,soft,coochie *** brand of football?

So wanting guys to be coached is now interpreted by this numbskull board as preferring scaredy cat soft football?

Im not understanding the hostility towards the idea...

Ed Reed said that he wanted to get into coaching. I do not care at what position as a GA or DB coach or water boy.... If Ed wants to be on staff you find a way to bring him around the team..

That does not make someone irrational for thinking he should be here... he said it himself. Now if he didnt mention wanting to coach then of course its idiotic.. but thats just not the case.

Why does him mentioning he would like to coach mean that UM automatically has to hire him without any experience? If that's all it took, then our entire staff could be composed of guys who said they'd like to coach here.

I think Joaquin Gonzalez said he'd like to coach at UM too. Should we hire him too, or is the determining factor for hiring coaches with no experience skill displayed on the NFL gridiron?

No UM doesnt have to automatically hire him..

I do not understand the hate towards the idea... Did Kareem Brown have the experience your speaking of to be all over our sidelines like he was the head corch last year??? Whats the requirements? Should he hit a couple 7v7 circuits? Maybe a couple seasons at Booker T?

My hate for the idea stems from my hate of the long unstoried line of amateur coaches we've had here over the past ten years. I'm done with loading the staff with amateurs and would prefer we get some teachers in here who have been in the coaching game for awhile.

I hate bad coaching because we've had our fill of it over a long stretch. Maybe Reed is the next Knute Rockne, but if he's serious about becoming a football coach, then he should start his career like every other coach does. Serious football coaches don't send out a tweet saying they want to start their career coaching at a marquee P5 program.

Mark Richt started his coaching career as a graduate assistant at FSU.. how exactly do you think coaches start their careers? Volunteering as a GA at a college willing to hire them. They interview and see if they have enough knowledge about football to contribute to the teams success. I didnt realize there was some evolution of coaching from optimist to the pros.

Some guys got it.. and some guys dont... **** even guys that dont got "it" still con people into jobs like dorito and goldie.

Can nobody throw my boy Ed Reed a Graduate Assistant bone!

So they apply that to the collegiate level, thinking all you need is to collect talent, "swag" them out, and let them play street ball.

So wanting guys to be coached is now interpreted by this numbskull board as preferring scaredy cat soft football?

He thinks all Jimmy Johnson (and his coaches) did was tell players to "just go out and sack em"!
As of no coaching or teaching was required.
These must be younger fans.
They have no clue how and why those old Cane teams were great.
They buy into the "it's all about the Jimmies and Joes, not Xs and Os" based on those stupid
Corbin documentaries.

Advertisement
Best teachers are USUALLY the ones who themselves lack the skills to be great.

because they know what they're missing, they can teach that to a younger player.

if you're inherently great, you don't even realize any flaws or why you do certain things.

you just go out and do it.

there's a reason why HOF players are rarely HOF coaches.

Ed Reed said that he wanted to get into coaching. I do not care at what position as a GA or DB coach or water boy.... If Ed wants to be on staff you find a way to bring him around the team..

That does not make someone irrational for thinking he should be here... he said it himself. Now if he didnt mention wanting to coach then of course its idiotic.. but thats just not the case.

Why does him mentioning he would like to coach mean that UM automatically has to hire him without any experience? If that's all it took, then our entire staff could be composed of guys who said they'd like to coach here.

I think Joaquin Gonzalez said he'd like to coach at UM too. Should we hire him too, or is the determining factor for hiring coaches with no experience skill displayed on the NFL gridiron?

I do not understand the hate towards the idea... Did Kareem Brown have the experience your speaking of to be all over our sidelines like he was the head corch last year??? Whats the requirements? Should he hit a couple 7v7 circuits? Maybe a couple seasons at Booker T?

My hate for the idea stems from my hate of the long unstoried line of amateur coaches we've had here over the past ten years. I'm done with loading the staff with amateurs and would prefer we get some teachers in here who have been in the coaching game for awhile.

I hate bad coaching because we've had our fill of it over a long stretch. Maybe Reed is the next Knute Rockne, but if he's serious about becoming a football coach, then he should start his career like every other coach does. Serious football coaches don't send out a tweet saying they want to start their career coaching at a marquee P5 program.

Mark Richt started his coaching career as a graduate assistant at FSU.. how exactly do you think coaches start their careers? Volunteering as a GA at a college willing to hire them. They interview and see if they have enough knowledge about football to contribute to the teams success. I didnt realize there was some evolution of coaching from optimist to the pros.

Some guys got it.. and some guys dont... **** even guys that dont got "it" still con people into jobs like dorito and goldie.

No sure why you're arguing with Chise as I don't think he is disputing your suggestion of him doing the GA
thing.
It's the other folks chiming about Reed and other former Cane greats getting full-time coaching jobs at the UM.

Wake up and quit looking for dopey beef. No one was talking about him being a grad assistant. If he wants to be a grad assistant then everyone would support that idea.

Advertisement
He could effectively train safeties at Miami, sure. His game wasn't all reliant on instincts. He's knowledgeable enough about football. As long as he was supported by a DC with extensive experience in coaching defensive backs, it could work.

I certainly reject the notion that the only people qualified to coach position players in college are guys that have been doing it for a particular amount of time. Nepotism is rampant in coaching. Plenty of guys are getting gigs not as much for their ability to develop players as much as their familiarity with a coach. It doesn't necessarily make them "better" or even "good" at it.

Wake up and quit looking for dopey beef. No one was talking about him being a grad assistant. If he wants to be a grad assistant then everyone would support that idea.

Just referring to the my initial post my apologies.. i was just humoring myself.. anyway i want him here. Would love to see him get the opportunity to learn the craft here.

If a well-respected HC or DC hired him, fine. But unless the former player is actually a coach, or a young enough to start as a GA, I'll pass. Ed Reed may very well have the skills to be a coach but does he have any interest in coaching? Would he start at the bottom?

I wouldn't be opposed to him passing any tips and tricks during his offseason workouts, though.

Sounds great. The question is if he can teach what he knows.

That's a much deeper statement than many realize.

Ed was a true student of the game - I understand no one ever studied film like Ed did.

He was so accomplished at breaking down offenses - he was able to intuit the offensive plays of his opponents - and generally be right in place to bust the play.

And I too, question if he can actually teach - what Ed Reed KNOWS.

Advertisement
It has nothing to do with the "smarts/intelligence" of Ed Reed. Coaching in the college ranks is a GRIND. The hours and commitment it takes to be a college position/recruiter is off the charts. "If" he had the desire to commit to that lifestyle (hardly doubt a multi-millionaire/HOF former player does), then sure give him a shot, at a lower level school to refine his delivery, technique teaching ability and recruiting pitch. Has ZERO to do with race/intelligence/ability you morons.

It has nothing to do with the "smarts/intelligence" of Ed Reed. Coaching in the college ranks is a GRIND. The hours and commitment it takes to be a college position/recruiter is off the charts. "If" he had the desire to commit to that lifestyle (hardly doubt a multi-millionaire/HOF former player does), then sure give him a shot, at a lower level school to refine his delivery, technique teaching ability and recruiting pitch. Has ZERO to do with race/intelligence/ability you morons.

Nailed it.
End Thread.

Sounds great. The question is if he can teach what he knows.

That's a much deeper statement than many realize.

Ed was a true student of the game - I understand no one ever studied film like Ed did.

He was so accomplished at breaking down offenses - he was able to intuit the offensive plays of his opponents - and generally be right in place to bust the play.

And I too, question if he can actually teach - what Ed Reed KNOWS.

If he could do that, we would be in the BEST of hands. That's a big question. I trust Richt. We'll see what becomes of us in the immediate and not so immediate future.

Advertisement

He thinks all Jimmy Johnson (and his coaches) did was tell players to "just go out and sack em"!

Riiiiiiight, but you have no issue with the resident dork saying Dade County coaches basically just..."collect talent, "swag" them out, and let them play street ball" huh? Nahhh, they didn't go through Winter workouts,Spring ball, Summer 2-A-Days, Fall practices, the season, playoffs, State...their coach just showed up on Friday nights with His "Saban playbook", and VOILA!, magic...huh? LMFAO!

I'm just upset that we didn't get the tandem of Joaquin and Romberg for OC and OL Coach. Shoulda hired Mario!

Riiiiiiight, but you have no issue with the resident dork saying Dade County coaches basically just..."collect talent, "swag" them out, and let them play street ball" huh? Nahhh, they didn't go through Winter workouts,Spring ball, Summer 2-A-Days, Fall practices, the season, playoffs, State...their coach just showed up on Friday nights with His "Saban playbook", and VOILA!, magic...huh? LMFAO!

There is some seriously bad coaching in Dade County.
I don't live there anymore but from what I see on the videos it looks bad.
I played HS ball down there many years ago and it was the same thing.
Lots of poor coaching.
Just watch the OL and DLmen on many of these teams, poor technique, standing
upright,etc.....it's not that the coaches are necessarily bad. I think alot of it has
to do with schools not investing money on complete football staffs.
Also, I think that 7v7 garbage is ruining the sport down there, just like AAU hoops
has hurt quality of hs hoops in the northeast.

Being an instinctive player like Reed often makes it quite hard to teach kids where it doesn't come naturally. HoF players don't automatically make great, or even good, coaches. He can pay his dues as a grad assistant, or some other way to prove himself in the coaching ranks.

"Just figure out where the quarterback is throwing the ball, intercept it and return it for a touchdown. I don't understand why this is so hard for you."

Advertisement
Back