Duke - Expectations for this year?

Advertisement
I feel bad for Duke because he's going to be labelled a 'bust' by most of you until probably his junior year. I don't see him unseating Mike James or Eduardo (who have been Golden's prime examples of 'how to work'), or getting enough touches to be a major impact. He'll definitely makes plays but he's not Gore and wont be running behind a stacked O-line (ala Portis). He's DUKE!!! He has amazing cuts and vision but needs to add strength and put on weight. If everything goes well, Duke will be one of the first of 'Golden's Kids' to be drafted in the first round and will help bring the moniker of "RB U" back to UM.

I expect numbers similar to what Gore put up his FR season. Duke is going to play, but he will have to adjust. He can still put on a good amount of weight and our o-line looked awful in the spring game. Because of these factors, i am tempering my expectations. There's no doubt he'll have some big plays, but I don't think he'll be great just yet. Hopefully he comes right in and provides a legit weapon

i'm thinking 800 all purpose yards and 4-5 td's. like someone said earlier i want too see him returning and screens and tosses. get him in the open field and we'll be good. also I think he'll get like 75 carries.

Advertisement
I can see Duke starting out slow maybe just returns and 4 carries a game. Then getting more carries as the season goes on. He's more talented then james and Clements. You just cant keep a talent like Duke as a back up for long

He will definitely need to gain about 10lbs of muscle to even be playable. Remeber miller redshirted, but base on our needs he will have to get on the field somehow

Gonna be tough for Duke to win the ACC but I gotta say any team going through that gauntlet to the stadium is going to fight for their lives

Advertisement
I don't care what his stats are this year just get him some touches, some experience, and let him work on third down situations against ****** schools so he can start learning to be the third down back. His sophomore year and beyond is when I think he really starts to make his mark as a top RB.

Gonna be tough for Duke to win the ACC but I gotta say any team going through that gauntlet to the stadium is going to fight for their lives

That walk from the locker room, across the track and to the benches is **** on the opposing teams.

I feel bad for Duke because he's going to be labelled a 'bust' by most of you until probably his junior year. I don't see him unseating Mike James or Eduardo (who have been Golden's prime examples of 'how to work'), or getting enough touches to be a major impact. He'll definitely makes plays but he's not Gore and wont be running behind a stacked O-line (ala Portis). He's DUKE!!! He has amazing cuts and vision but needs to add strength and put on weight. If everything goes well, Duke will be one of the first of 'Golden's Kids' to be drafted in the first round and will help bring the moniker of "RB U" back to UM.

+1000

I think he plays a little and gets around 500yards. He's a FR.

He'll need some addtnl. weight, strength and conditioning.

He will be lights out one day, just not this year.

I want to agree with you but I think once he gets in there they will quickly realize he is the best back on the team. He will definitely share the load with James and Clements, but honestly he is probably the biggest threat on the team and he isn't even there yet. I want to keep my expectations realistic like your post, but man, he is going to do some things right away I think.

Lets wait and see, I really hoping he is putting on some weight in that weight room. we need him to be able to absorb some blows. He will be great just not this year. But I hope he makes me eat my words. Maurice Clarett was a FR running all over us in the 2002 championship... hope Duke will be a monster

Last edited:
Advertisement

+1000

+10000000

Advertisement
He will definitely need to gain about 10lbs of muscle to even be playable. Remeber miller redshirted, but base on our needs he will have to get on the field somehow

Thomas De'Anthony is listed at 5'9" 173lbs right now on Oregon's roster. He rushed 55 times for 600 yards and 7 TD's as a true freshman last year. "Duke" Johnson is 5'9" and 183lbs right now and could be closer to 185-187lbs by the time the season starts. "Duke" is more than ready to get some PT as a True Freshman this year and is every bit as good or better than Thomas De'Anthony.

Also, Miller shirted because he separated his shoulder in HS and wasn't ready to go as a freshman or RS Freshman. You could still see the shoulder injury linger when he would go out of bounds rather than fight that last yard last season. If Miller was healthy he would have played as a true freshman. Duke will touch the ball plenty this year.

Thomas De'Anthony is listed at 5'9" 173lbs right now on Oregon's roster. He rushed 55 times for 600 yards and 7 TD's as a true freshman last year. "Duke" Johnson is 5'9" and 183lbs right now and could be closer to 185-187lbs by the time the season starts. "Duke" is more than ready to get some PT as a True Freshman this year and is every bit as good or better than Thomas De'Anthony.

Also, Miller shirted because he separated his shoulder in HS and wasn't ready to go as a freshman or RS Freshman. You could still see the shoulder injury linger when he would go out of bounds rather than fight that last yard last season. If Miller was healthy he would have played as a true freshman. Duke will touch the ball plenty this year.

good comparison. i think Duke comes in with his packages to get him the ball and allow him to be fresh so he can break big plays, but James still is the bell cow.

120 Carries for 650 yards 4 TDs
40 Catches for 400 yards 3 TDs

I doubt it. that is probably the ceiling as far as remotely reasonable expectations. even still you are talking close to 15 touches a game right from the gate

Advertisement
Back