Duke - Expectations for this year?

bshaw28

Junior
What does everyone realistic think he'll do this year?

I have no doubt he'll be the most talented RB this year, but I think the expectations are getting too high. I worry how his smaller frame will hold up as a true freshman.

I put my prediction - and listed other freshman RB's at UM to see how he'd compare.

Duke: 130 - 780 - 6.0 - 5 td's

Cooper: 125 - 682 - 5.5 - 4 td's
JJ: 175 - 802 - 4.6 - 4 td's
Gore: 62 - 562 - 9.1 - 5 td's
Portis: 143 - 838 - 5.9 - 8 td's
Edge: 71 - 446 - 6.2 - 2 td's

Advertisement
I think he plays a little and gets around 500yards. He's a FR.

He'll need some addtnl. weight, strength and conditioning.

He will be lights out one day, just not this year.

I have high expectations for Duke's career as a 'Cane, but I'm not expecting him to be all world in his first season.

I don't see Duke getting 130 carries next year. Last year Miller had 227 carries, James had 72, and Eduardo had 15. We were roughly 55/45 pass/run and that will probably flip so I see like 350 carries total for the backfield. I see James getting ~175 and Eduardo and Duke splitting the carries after that roughly evenly. At least i see that as being the plan going in. If someone gets hot then obviously things would change.

Advertisement
It wouldn't surprise me to see him starting a game or two at the end of the season.

I just don't have much faith in the current crew that's there now.

What about Tracy Howard?? I think he'll be getting a lot of PT by the ND game, starting is another question. But, what do I know??

Agreed with this. I think we'll use James/Clements more than Duke this year, but he'll contribute.

Advertisement

I want to agree with you but I think once he gets in there they will quickly realize he is the best back on the team. He will definitely share the load with James and Clements, but honestly he is probably the biggest threat on the team and he isn't even there yet. I want to keep my expectations realistic like your post, but man, he is going to do some things right away I think.

I hope he gets looks in space: sweeps, draws, screens, swing passes. He's a freshman so he probably can't block/pickup blitz. They will have to work around it. He won't be on the field for third down.

Advertisement
LMAO @ Gore's 9.1 avg yards per carry as a Freshman. Man he was a beast that year...

Scary when you think about it. An all-pro after blowing out BOTH knees.

Just imagine....

Being a die-hard Niners fan I have seen every game pretty much since he got there and there's probably 100+ runs he has had that would have been housed had he not ripped his knees apart. The top end speed just isn't there but I don't know that I have ever seen a back as good at hiding and slashing inside like Frank.

I hope he gets looks in space: sweeps, draws, screens, swing passes. He's a freshman so he probably can't block/pickup blitz. They will have to work around it. He won't be on the field for third down.

The blocking is what will probably hold him back since he wasn't here for the Spring like we hoped. That said you know he is working his *** off.

Agreed with the splitting him out, working in the passing game etc.

LMAO @ Gore's 9.1 avg yards per carry as a Freshman. Man he was a beast that year...

Scary when you think about it. An all-pro after blowing out BOTH knees.

Just imagine....

There is no doubt that Gore was mindblowingly sick that year, but it did help running behind such a good line and often coming in towards the ends of games when both teams were putting in their backups or at the very least the game was well out of hand.

Advertisement
I expect Duke to be our main returner. Combined (depending on how well he does as a returner), I think we'll see him get the ball about 5-10 times a game.

Something similar to Portis' freshman year. Around 150 carries, 900 yards, 8 TDs, maybe a kickoff return or two just to top it all off.

Advertisement
Back