2024 DL David Stone [commits to Okla] ENUFF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he needs to do better than "Top 12 in recruiting" to earn that Top 12 salary. Why? Again, it's his current core strength in the face of other coaching attributes that are arguably not Top 12. Last recruiting season, I think he accomplished it. Of course, different factors and variables now. I don't look at things as that level of "Top X in recruiting" black and white, so as I said, we shall see. It's still early in both the recruiting season and lots still pending with what happens on the field this season.
Right, but this is the start of a rebuild. He has proven to be a very successful recruiter over the entirety of his career. I also fully expect him to have us above 12 in recruiting. In a month on the job he got us a respectable 2022 class. One full year he got us a top 7 class with some absolutely elite talent on OL/DL.
But if one class at the start of a rebuild coming off LITERALLY our worse season in over 40 years ends up at the 12th class in the country, I'm not going to be all doom and gloom about it. In fact I'd say that would be evidence that Mario is a very good recruiter. What I'm also going to do is say the results on the field this year must improve by a lot - and are far more important than where we stand in recruiting in August. But In a total rebuild like this Program is - and that's what Mario was hired to do, rebuild the entire program - I don't take a 1 year short term view. Last season was basically clearing the field. Last Recruiting class was setting the foundation. This season needs to be building on that. Along the way there may be a few steps backwards. Maybe this recruiting class ends up being a hiccup on this path. But ultimately the path/direction we're going on is a good one.

Advertisement
I’m not doing anything simply stating he currently lives in Florida. But if u wanna keep throwing a ***** fit have at it guy.
If that’s a fit then clearly you haven’t seen much over the years lol. I just don’t agree with you.

I think he needs to do better than "Top 12 in recruiting" to earn that Top 12 salary. Why? Again, it's his current core strength in the face of other coaching attributes that are arguably not Top 12. Last recruiting season, I think he accomplished it. Of course, different factors and variables now. I don't look at things as that level of "Top X in recruiting" black and white, so as I said, we shall see. It's still early in both the recruiting season and lots still pending with what happens on the field this season.
I put the recruiting ranking number in the same boat as the wins and losses. Numbers are one thing but can always be manipulated one way or another

We were 7 last year but mixed in with that was it wasn’t like we only loaded up on guys in our backyard like Shannon in 08 or Manny in 2021

We went national, landed some monsters in recruiting bloodbaths. We were one ugly flip away from a Top 5 class. We dominated IMG recruiting etc

Same vein you can say we went 5-7 last year but even that is being generous. We played like a G5 teams

But I think we all agree we just have to be better right now across the board but the details are what we ultimately debate

Advertisement
Live Tv Rain GIF by The Weather Channel

I’d say it’s up to him to get us finishing in the top 12 long-term. It’s more than just X/O and recruiting.

But how do you define elite? If I tell you we landed a top 10 recruiting class, are you calling that an elite class? If I tell you we landed the 5th best DLine class is that elite? If that’s not elite why are people acting like Mario being paid the 12th most is some insanely elite level of pay?

My point is People are acting like he’s paid more than any other coach in CFB and that because he’s being paid that much that results should have been attained at the moment of signing and that any step back or delay in the rebuilding process is unacceptable. But as I showed that’s not true. And with not even 2 years under his belt, and in only August when NSD is in December, I find it funny.
When your game day coaching and philosophy is arguably bottom 50 in the country, your strength (recruiting) better more than make up for that. That’s top 3-8, not 12ish.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
When your game day coaching and philosophy is arguably bottom 50 in the country, your strength (recruiting) better more than make up for that. That’s top 3-8, not 12ish.
...Is that not what a HC hires OC/DC for?
If the HC gets blame for hiring poor coordinators, he also gets the credit for hiring good ones. He is ultimately responsible for the on field success, recruiting success, player development, etc, whether that be him directly in charge of the Philosophy, X/Os, plays, whatever. So if he hires the rights guys, then he gets credit. That's how this works.

So the question is do you feel Dawson and Guidry are going to be good coordinators with good scheme/philosophy? I personally do. I feel great about Guidry. I feel good (but not 100% bought in just yet given his lack of proven success on his own) about Dawson, and am at minimum confident we will be far better offensively than last season. And I think this scheme will be appealing to some WRs and hopefully elite QBs. But it will also remain balanced with the Run attack and asserting our Dominance on the LOS which is what Mario is trying to build the identity of this program around.

Anyways regarding where I think we'll be in recruiting, I personally see Mario for the most part bringing in like 6-8th ranked classes here. Long-term I think that's where we'll be in recruiting. I think if/when we win this year Mario will get right back on that track...

Regardless he IS 12th highest paid. So people should stop acting like we're paying him like he's supposed to be Saban. We just aren't. We are paying him to be more successful than last seasons results for sure. I think he will be.

Nah bro. Let's see if Dabo can do it without Brent. Don't forget, when this guy was OU's DC he was putting out Tommie Harris & Gerald McCoy, Dan Cody etc. He's one of the top defensive minds we've ever seen.
He made Lashlee look like a high school coordinator. Sure there’s a talent gap but it was pure dominance

He’s literally living that far away right now…
Exactly, and maybe he wants to return home an play in front of his family. But I hope not.

And while some may think NIL $$$ should sway his choice, what is the cost of living if he moved his immediate family to SoFla? Compared to staying Oklahoma? I don’t know the market in SoFla but presume it is considerably higher than Norman or wherever his family lives.

For reference, a friend of mine and his wife recently purchased a $440K house in Tulsa that would easily cost $2M+ in SoCal - where he and I are from. SoFla is lower that SoCal but surely higher than Tumbleweed, Oklahoma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back