Define "Miami is Back"

Win consistently in the Big10 with expected trips to the playoffs..............
React Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Advertisement
National Title
Blowing the brakes off our rivals in their stadium
Knocking our rivals into the shadowrealm with memorable plays and dancing on their grave.

THEN

and only THEN

are.we.BACK.

Enough until then. You jabrones know what the standard is. Stop moving the goalposts.

Did the Japanese sit down and have dinner with Pearl Harbor before they bombed her?

It don't matter what anyone else thinks of us.

Just add rings baybee!!!!

Advertisement
What the majority of today’s Miami fans fail to acknowledge is that for the last 20 years or so, we’ve been what we were pre 1983 - Irrelevent and mediocre at best.

After we won our first national championship in 1983, we became a revered football program because of our consistent winning and the way we won. To be able to say “We Byke” my question is what will the target be? # 6? Multiple consecutive 10-11-12 win seasons?

We didn’t get to where we were in the glory years in 1 or 2 seasons. It took many years of consistent winning and an unprecedented (at the time) run of national prominence. I’d be happy to be relevant again in the short term and revered again in the long term.

What the majority of today’s Miami fans fail to acknowledge is that for the last 20 years or so, we’ve been what we were pre 1983 - Irrelevent and mediocre at best.

After we won our first national championship in 1983, we became a revered football program because of our consistent winning and the way we won. To be able to say “We Byke” my question is what will the target be? # 6? Multiple consecutive 10-11-12 win seasons?

We didn’t get to where we were in the glory years in 1 or 2 seasons. It took many years of consistent winning and an unprecedented (at the time) run of national prominence. I’d be happy to be relevant again in the short term and revered again in the long term.
I agree, except that 81 team should've played for the NC (if not for BS calls/non-calls) in 2 games that yr. UM would've dragged Clemson.

Texas is considered “back” off one conference championship and a college playoff appearance (although on paper they are a consensus top 5 team in the country in 2024 and expected to make the playoff again this year). It’s premature, but usually the media decides these things. Texas being back is good for business, just like Miami would.

I don’t think there’s a concrete definition for it, but winning a conference championship is a start. For me, it would take three consecutive years of top 15 finishes. With a 12-team playoff in the fold, making the playoff twice would bring some stability with a program that’s pretty much been all talk, no walk since the early 2000’s.

I still remember that opener against LSU where the expectations were sky high and we thought beating LSU would show the world that last season wasn’t a one-off…I left that game after the first drive of the 3Q.

Advertisement
I do not like this answer as it implies we are staying in the ACC....................
Pais Vasco Reaction GIF by Teka
Agreed brother! That is the temporary answer. Upon entrance into the P2 the answer is simply making the College Football Playoff frequently. Winning the actual conference championship frequently would be nice. Like I said though, college football has changed and it will be incredibly hard to win mega-conference championships frequently. Even harder to win national championships.

Back? Back from what? It’s been so long since the U has been relevant very few even remember the glory years. It’s either a long forgotten memory, you weren’t even born yet or you were watching sucking your thumb.

I keep seeing the media saying "Miami is Back". There seem to be a lot of different idea's of what "Back" means.

To me I believe Traditionally "Back" meant in the national title conversation. To be in that convo we needed to finish with 1 loss or less and top 4 sometimes top 5-6. We played for 10 National Titles from 1983-2002 winning 6* :).

I believe with the new Playoff setup you could technically be back if you finish in the top 12 but I expect it would be somewhat rare for a 12th ranked team to win the playoff and win it all. Back to me would mean finishing in the top 6 of the 12-team playoff and at least Split the rivalry games if not win both this year.

I realize some people define back as winning it all but realistically we have only been back like 6 times lol. I think being in the hunt is really what we aim for and understand some years we will win it all and some years we won't, basically like our status from 1983-2002.
When we stop arguing over "close losses" to unranked teams that would've got them in the Life Wallet Tropical Park Bowl instead of the New Era Fraggle Bowl

Advertisement
A single season without a half dozen, rip-your-beating-heart-out-of-your-chest-and-show-it-to-you, related incidents caused by The Curse of the Orange Bowl

Attachments

• Orange Bowl.jpg
    Orange Bowl.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 0
Beyond the obvious Natty wins and those things, beating these ACC teams by 30+ consistently would be a good sign we are back. Every week we see Bama/UGA up 30 in the first quarter and can play freshmen the rest of the game. Beyond the Savannah State/Bethune games, we never have performances like that to give our young kids some meaningful game time.

Advertisement
We were Giant Killers. Schnellenberger - killed a giant his last game. We were good - but when we played the Power Giants in college football - we'd cut them off at the knees - and THEN disassemble them.

We evolved into great teams. Some ups and downs - but always scared the crap out of the Top Ten when we played them. That's one reason we were more or less - hated. We'd knock off the big teams with untold numbers of fans - and then we'd rag on them for the rest of the year.

Fun times. A major thorn in the side of College Football.

We'd find a way to win those big games.

As was said - You'll know it when you see it.

Advertisement
Back