Defensive gameplan against FSU

Advertisement
Stop Cook with multiple fronts, and confused the QB. Every game this year, so far, we've shown different fronts. The philosophy is the same, but the fronts and stunts have been different. Confused the Qb, because he's still playing on straight athleticism, and he's a good athlete.

But yea stop Cook. If we can hold him under a 100 yards, and that's a big if, this game will not be close!

Our DL has to get into the backfield and make Cook change his direction sideways. Then the LBs come in and take him to the ground. Have someone shadow him when he comes out of the back field and tackle him as soon as he catches the ball.

Teams that do this limit him. Teams that don't, he makes them pay.

IMHO, their QB isn't going to be good enough if Thomas and Company keep doing what they've been doing all year long. Our DL is going to hit their QB a lot.

Get consistent pressure with our front 4, and we win. This applies to getting at Cuck too before he has a chance to get a head of steam. He doesn't react well when teams penetrate.

Advertisement
I agree with [MENTION=349]BigCaneAl[/MENTION].

The biggest concern Ive seen from our defense this year is the freshmen linebackers in coverage. Look for FSU to have a lot of plays trying to get Cook in coverage against our young LB's. Im less concerned with Cook running the ball than I am receiving.

It will be interesting to see how Manny attacks their QB. Does he blitz him or try to surround him in the pocket. Both likely but the percentage will tell the tale.

We need a spy on cook all game long. You limit him and we win. Easier said than done but it is what needs to happen. That simple

I think Diaz and he crew have been saving Alotta of stuff for this game .. Up until now we haven't faced an offense anything like FSU we have played one dimensional teams , or just straight up out-talented teams and have played vanilla/basic base defenses. However, the Dline is absolutely the most important group to this game we can't put too much on our back 7 they have to handle business upfront against an average FSU oline.

Advertisement
Get into noles backfield fast and hit Cook and the QB hard every play, no matter what is going on. That is their whole team now. Tackle Cook in backield with or without the ball -- it will end up coming to him anyway. You have to get him early before he turns the jets on -- we don't have our old school speed yet.

"Big time players make big time plays in big time games"
They better come out focused and intent on imposing their will because those Asshats from up north are going to show up ready.

Delayed Blitzes...

Heavy pressure off the edge, then when Francis steps up in the pocket, send Shaq or Pinckney through the A-gap.

Francis is a late read in the pocket, he's fairly inaccurate, he'll throw picks if you force him to speed through his progressions.

Rayshawn & Jamal will have to really step up this game to provide help in dealing with FSU's speed on the outside.

I'm curious to see which Corners will matchup with their WR's...

Also Special Teams can play a big role as well, field position & hopefully blocking an Agayo kick at a critical time during the game.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Noone with a brain would take Cook lightly after the last 2 years. Our D will have to stop Cook & pressure Frenchy crab legs into bad decisions.

I don't think cook will hurt us this yr.... I'm more worried about our pass defense. If our pass rush can put pressure on their qb and actually sack him, we will be just fine. First team we play all season who acts has a passing game

He is not f$##¥)! French, he is Haitian, it's like calling a cuban a Spaniard or a Rican a Mexican it's offensive to real Haitians everywhere.

Do not, I repeat, do not let Dalvin Cook demolish us again. The gameplan needs to be do whatever it takes to limit this guy and make Francois beat us. This really isn't earth shattering strategy, so I'm sure the coaches are going to be focused on stopping the fsu run game and I'm confident that we can limit him this year. However, what scares me most is Cook in the passing game. Here is what he's done this year receiving:

Ole Miss 7-101
Louisville 1-8
USF 4-62
UNC 6-106

Cook can do major damage when he gets the ball out of the backfield in space. I don't know what Louisville did to limit him to one reception, but we need to do that. It's too bad we don't have Grace around with his speed to shadow Cook wherever he goes. Perhaps it would be a good idea to have Jaquan fill that role. He's a smart player and good tackler. Giving this responsibility to the freshmen lbs is worrisome. We've already seen those guys lose track of tight ends and rbs coming out of the backfield a number of times.

sweep the leg!

Advertisement
Noone with a brain would take Cook lightly after the last 2 years. Our D will have to stop Cook & pressure Frenchy crab legs into bad decisions.

I don't think cook will hurt us this yr.... I'm more worried about our pass defense. If our pass rush can put pressure on their qb and actually sack him, we will be just fine. First team we play all season who acts has a passing game

He is not f$##¥)! French, he is Haitian, it's like calling a cuban a Spaniard or a Rican a Mexican it's offensive to real Haitians everywhere.

French are probably thrilled.

Do not, I repeat, do not let Dalvin Cook demolish us again. The gameplan needs to be do whatever it takes to limit this guy and make Francois beat us. This really isn't earth shattering strategy, so I'm sure the coaches are going to be focused on stopping the fsu run game and I'm confident that we can limit him this year. However, what scares me most is Cook in the passing game. Here is what he's done this year receiving:

Ole Miss 7-101
Louisville 1-8
USF 4-62
UNC 6-106

Cook can do major damage when he gets the ball out of the backfield in space. I don't know what Louisville did to limit him to one reception, but we need to do that. It's too bad we don't have Grace around with his speed to shadow Cook wherever he goes. Perhaps it would be a good idea to have Jaquan fill that role. He's a smart player and good tackler. Giving this responsibility to the freshmen lbs is worrisome. We've already seen those guys lose track of tight ends and rbs coming out of the backfield a number of times.

Francois can play--dude can spin it. We'll play Cook better because we're a better tackling team. It's the combo of Cook and Francois that's problematic. It's pick your poison and Francois can beat you with his arm. They'll be locked in because this is the biggest game of their season, they've got 2 losses already, we're ranked #10 , and we're Miami. This may not be the toughest to defend but it'll be the toughest to play. All these kids know each other and I don't care what FSU has done all year, they'll play their best against us Saturday night. Strangely enough GT was good prep for FSU.

tackle Cook, prety simple. Once they get their hands on him wrap up. Cook has rediculous strenght and if you don't wrap him up he will just push you away. If you can limit his YAC, I think we can be fine with his running game. Cook getting passes in the flats is a whole other story. A true freshman LB trying to cover Cook in the flat and having to complete a open field tackle, thats tough. Im sure we will get on **** of a week of practice in, and I hope the weather holds on and lets us get a couple of solid practices in.

Advertisement
Back