Defensive gameplan against FSU

terdferguson

Junior
Do not, I repeat, do not let Dalvin Cook demolish us again. The gameplan needs to be do whatever it takes to limit this guy and make Francois beat us. This really isn't earth shattering strategy, so I'm sure the coaches are going to be focused on stopping the fsu run game and I'm confident that we can limit him this year. However, what scares me most is Cook in the passing game. Here is what he's done this year receiving:

Ole Miss 7-101
Louisville 1-8
USF 4-62
UNC 6-106

Cook can do major damage when he gets the ball out of the backfield in space. I don't know what Louisville did to limit him to one reception, but we need to do that. It's too bad we don't have Grace around with his speed to shadow Cook wherever he goes. Perhaps it would be a good idea to have Jaquan fill that role. He's a smart player and good tackler. Giving this responsibility to the freshmen lbs is worrisome. We've already seen those guys lose track of tight ends and rbs coming out of the backfield a number of times.

Advertisement
Game plan should be simple chop cooks legs all day long and make sure he can't run after first quarter. Stop him and they have a 1% chance of winning

Stop cook, stop cook, and then stop cook again.

Do not let their run game beat us and put the game in the hands of the Frenchman!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fsu is essentially Stanford east. If their RB doesn't score, they don't score much.

Advertisement
2 year in a row he's beaten us, we will not allow that to happen again!

I don't think cook will hurt us this yr.... I'm more worried about our pass defense. If our pass rush can put pressure on their qb and actually sack him, we will be just fine. First team we play all season who acts has a passing game

I don't think cook will hurt us this yr.... I'm more worried about our pass defense. If our pass rush can put pressure on their qb and actually sack him, we will be just fine. First team we play all season who acts has a passing game

You clearly haven't seen them feeding cook the last two weeks and dude has been putting up huge numbers. We need to key in him early and often.

You clearly haven't seen them feeding cook the last two weeks and dude has been putting up huge numbers. We need to key in him early and often.

Against our defense, I don't think he will hurt us like that, cause we will key on him. We know he is their offense. But like I said, our pass defense other than corn concerns me.

Advertisement
I think our LBs in space against cook will be a problem. Obviously we key on him, but I think we'll see a lot of Jaquan Johnson on Cook in this game. I think we're confident on getting pressure with our front. Their Oline has struggled this year. We need to be a little more disciplined because Frenchy can run. Keeping in the pocket on obvious passing downs and getting off the field on 3rd down will be critical (obvious, it usually is lol>

Stop cook, contain francois and make him throw into tight windows under pressure.

Noone with a brain would take Cook lightly after the last 2 years. Our D will have to stop Cook & pressure Frenchy crab legs into bad decisions.

He's an amazing player and has killed us both years..

But let's also remember that unc has one of the country's worst run defenses, and the other game was Usf

So I'm hesitant to believe that he will torch our better coached defense as bad this year

Advertisement
I'm looking forward to seeing just how loud it is when FSU takes their first snap. It's going to be very, very hard for them to get their crap straight. It will be very, very loud.

This is a game where we will really miss Grace. His 4.3 forty speed at linebacker would really aid our ability to shut down Cook. Regardless, I think we shut him down anyway because of how much our DL has improved and our overall aggressiveness.

Advertisement
This is a game where we will really miss Grace. His 4.3 forty speed at linebacker would really aid our ability to shut down Cook. Regardless, I think we shut him down anyway because of how much our DL has improved and our overall aggressiveness.

An overly aggressive defense can create lanes for Cook.

Yep. If McCloud plays well and we can limit cook then in all honestly was probably better for our team long run to have McCloud learning now.

Definitely a loss losing grace but dalvin cook was the reason most of us wanted grace and getting a freshman valuable experience without losing productivity is big

An overly aggressive defense can create lanes for Cook.

True, gotta find a balance of playing for TFL's but not creating those open lanes.

Advertisement
Back