David Thompson to...

Advertisement
I've been saying this for months! I'm close to him and his family(I've know him since he was 4 yrs old) and they've been telling me from the beginning that they felt college was the best route for him regardless of the draft. That said, saying it and being faced with actually turning a pile of money down are 2 different things. All in all though, his family is in a solid situation financially, so waiting for the pay day isn't a massive sacrifice.
thats where it can become dicey though

turning down first round money is much easier said than done........and the second part is that there is no guarantee that after a few years in college....he would even have the same opportunity for that type of payday

injury and poor performance are just 2 of the things that could potentially either derail that payday entirely or reduce it significantly

I've been saying this for months! I'm close to him and his family(I've know him since he was 4 yrs old) and they've been telling me from the beginning that they felt college was the best route for him regardless of the draft. That said, saying it and being faced with actually turning a pile of money down are 2 different things. All in all though, his family is in a solid situation financially, so waiting for the pay day isn't a massive sacrifice.

turning down first round money is much easier said than done........and the second part is that there is no guarantee that after a few years in college....he would even have the same opportunity for that type of payday

injury and poor performance are just 2 of the things that could potentially either derail that payday entirely or reduce it significantly

No doubt. My only point is that his family isn't in a dire financial situation by any means, so he won't feel compelled to go after the money based on need for cash. Not all of our recruits have that freedom.

No doubt. My only point is that his family isn't in a dire financial situation by any means, so he won't feel compelled to go after the money based on need for cash. Not all of our recruits have that freedom.
true,......but its tough for any 18 year old kid to turn down 7 figures regardless of their situation

Advertisement
What is the rules aas far as leaving college early for the baseball draft?

true,......but its tough for any 18 year old kid to turn down 7 figures regardless of their situation

Again I agree, though David is very level headed for a teenager.

Advertisement

most level headed teenagers.......dont turn down a million dollar signing bonus from a major league team.......the difference between level headed 18 year olds is that if their careers go **** up early......they still have that money......or.....the opposite of brien taylor

most level headed teenagers.......dont turn down a million dollar signing bonus from a major league team.......the difference between level headed 18 year olds is that if their careers go **** up early......they still have that money......or.....the opposite of brien taylor

Ok, I don't know what we're doing here. I've agreed with you at every turn yet you seem to want to debate this like there's something I'm not getting. So, unless you have any questions for me regarding David, I'm gonna close with this: I've been told (since before he committed btw) by David, his parents and his brother and sister that he has every intention of enrolling at the U. Additionally, money's not an issue for David and his family. Can the Brinks truck change things if it shows up? Sure, but that's FAR from a sure thing. David is very aware of what he's doing and has great peace in the path he's chosen. His entire family have been Cane fans since before he was born.

Carry on.

Last edited:
I know he's played high school QB, but to me, he just seems like a phenomenal baseball talent that is also a ridiculous athlete, so he gets to play QB. I'd be just fine with him focusing on baseball. Lord knows we need it. I'm happy with the two kids already here, and hopefully bringing in Olsen this cycle.

Advertisement
Unless I'm Mark Zuckerberg Jr. or something, if I'm offered a 7 figure signing bonus out of highschool, I'm signing the contract.

Advertisement
ESPN's Keith Law just released his Top 100 prospects for the 2012 MLB Draft and Thompson didn't make the Top 100.

I would link to it, but it is on Insider.

Sounds great but if he gets drafted #5 overall that may change.

Well he isn't getting drafted #5.

Carlos Correa won't ever step foot on the campus, he will be a top 5 pick.

Just looked at one mock draft that had Thompson going in the 2nd round at 84, to TB. If he goes that high he shouldn't come to Miami. He will never get more of a signing than he will right now.

As far as development, 3 years in the minor league > than 3 years playing in college.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back