DAILY DEBATE: Who is your player comp for Cam Ward?

Advertisement
51b4IraXvTL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Just 3 games in so I’m cautiously optimistic. I’ll preface by saying if the trajectory continues…

Reminds me of Cam Newton circa 2010. Tool wise there’s some similarities. But overall that vibe is present where he’s clearly the best player on the field and covers/hides deficiencies. That 10’ Auburn squad without Cam would have been a 7-5, 8-4 team at best.

Not saying we’re not better than that around our current Cam as I think we are. But ultimately the throws and decisions he makes are elite thus far.
Newton is 6’5” and 245 and Ward is 6’2” 223 I always perceived Newton as a run first QB and not nearly as accurate as Ward. WAY too soon but I think Mahomes is a good comparison.

Advertisement
Newton is 6’5” and 245 and Ward is 6’2” 223 I always perceived Newton as a run first QB and not nearly as accurate as Ward. WAY too soon but I think Mahomes is a good comparison.
Agree with your comp and your assessment. As mentioned I’d relate it more to the fact he’s clearly the best player on the field and he happens to be a quarterback.

According to another thread he’s a mobile version of Tom Brady with a touch of George Patton and a better taste in music. He’s already better than all of our other QBs, including those who won a Heisman and/or a NC. I hope they’re right.

Advertisement
The style is closer to Aaron Rodgers than anyone I've seen in a while. Doesn't mean much in terms of what he'll become, but we're talking about style. He wins with his feet, release, and multiplatform stuff.

Screen Shot 2024-09-19 at 2.43.48 PM.png

Advertisement
The college version of Kenny Pickett. The measurables and skillsets are extremely similar. Kenny didn't have the sidearm and quick game in his bag though.

I see the Stafford comp as well. I think Ward improvises differently and just looks different navigating the pocket.

Play style fits Bryce Young/Kyler Murray/Caleb Williams. Those 3 do the side arm stuff and quick game.
Woah, woah, woah.

Walk that **** back. Bryce Young doesn't do ******* anything in the NFL. He's a bum.

Advertisement
Arm strength- Elway
Accuracy- Brees
Composure- Brady
Decision Making- Rodgers
Demeanor- Jackson
Speed- Vick
Height- Mahomes

Advertisement
Back