DAILY DEBATE: Who is your player comp for Cam Ward?

The college version of Kenny Pickett. The measurables and skillsets are extremely similar. Kenny didn't have the sidearm and quick game in his bag though.

I see the Stafford comp as well. I think Ward improvises differently and just looks different navigating the pocket.

Play style fits Bryce Young/Kyler Murray/Caleb Williams. Those 3 do the side arm stuff and quick game.
Kenny Pickett?

If anything, I'd compare Emory to Kenny Pickett from a skills and play perspective.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Gray Crow

run away monty python GIF

Kenny Pickett?

If anything, I'd compare Emory to Kenny Pickett from a skills and play perspective.
Then you're selling Kenny Pickett far too short on his skillset. If Emory ever sits in New York for the Heisman or comes up on stage with Roger Goodell let me know. Emory might have a Brad Kaaya skill-set/comparable.

Cam Ward (6'2 223 pounds)
40 - Estimated 4.70-4.85
Shuttle - 4.44 coming out of HS
Vert - 25'' coming out of HS

Pickett (6'3 217 pounds)
40 - 4.73 combine verified
Shuttle - 4.29 combine verified
Vert - 33.5" combine verified

Watch Kenny's highlights his last year in college and see him rollout on a bootleg, scramble, throw on the run, scramble around and navigate the pocket, and how he throws it downfield. Looks just like Cam. If I saw the sidearm and quick game from him, it would be the perfect comp. They both have small hand concerns as well. Cam has a stronger arm and more arm slots.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Williams didn't sit in the pocket and deliver darts to his third read in the way Cam can. If you watch his highlights it's all bombs to his first look or broken plays.
I get where you are coming from and didnt say they play exactly the same but pac 12 coaches compared them two for a reason and they had to game plan for both..

Don't really care for Williams game overall but there is some similarity there is all

Advertisement
Just 3 games in so I’m cautiously optimistic. I’ll preface by saying if the trajectory continues…

Reminds me of Cam Newton circa 2010. Tool wise there’s some similarities. But overall that vibe is present where he’s clearly the best player on the field and covers/hides deficiencies. That 10’ Auburn squad without Cam would have been a 7-5, 8-4 team at best.

Not saying we’re not better than that around our current Cam as I think we are. But ultimately the throws and decisions he makes are elite thus far.

Advertisement
Back