Culture problem at Miami ?

culture problem at Miami? you don't say.

Of course there is a culture problem. It runs deep and the beta males we've had at head coach over the past 20 years do not have the chest to change it and the decision makers do not have the foresight to hire someone who can.

Advertisement
This. There was a significant culture change on defense. This is what gives me hope that Manny can be successful here.
Yup. Same here. The improvements from 2016 to 2017 we're great--I'm willing to give him twice that time to start turning the corner and showing he can do it at the next level of coaching.

Advertisement
Usc is in the

same position as UM there not getting the best no more and it shows
You know Lane Kiffin is one of the few times recruiting like an animal didnt pay off. They were under sanctions though, limited roster size, but they were still churning out pros, but it wasnt Carroll anymore in terms of player development. Maybe I shouldnt even give credit to Kiffin, its no different than when Coker rode the coat tails of Butch Davis' greatest team ever assembled?

I don't give a sht what the problem is. It's my job to buy tickets and merchandise. It's their jobs to win. I'm holding up my end and if they think I'm going to continue, They **** well better figure out their end. I'm sick of spending time trying to diagnose their disease and suggest cures. Just ******* fix it already.

You have to identify the "disease" during the recruiting process - Miami has been in this position for 15 years now beause they focus recruiting in South Florida, but eventually they have to recognize they haven't cherry picked SF in a long, long time, and may be getting the leftovers.

That goes for most other places they recruit too. Why, because a 4-5 star who has a chance to go to Bama, Georgia, LSU, OSU, or a half dozen other schools that have a shot at the final four, are going. Until Miami wins consistently, this generation of athletes will head for the competitive programs that give them the best chance at being noticed.

And this is huge - Miami hasn't had much success in anything above average in O-line play. Art Keho was great in his day, when we were winning and he could get players. I had hoped Richt would bring some Georgia LA, or SC O-Linemen in because So FL isn't exactly a hot bed for that position, and the big corn-fed kids ain't coming to play in this heat, no matter how pretty the girls are. I'm from SW Fl, but played in the Mid West - don't kid yourself, there were some **** fine women out there too.

You just hope this O-line grows and gets better and next year will be truly ready to compete.

Usc is in the

LOL...I suggest you check their recruiting rankings over the last 10 years. Their class last year was mediocre, but every other class has been elite. How’d that work out for them?

Advertisement
I just read an article from 247 about What Urban Myer thinks the problem is at Michigan,
Maybe it relates to Miami as well.
Speaks about the coaches being good and players being good. But the mental makeup being completely off. Maybe that is more of an issue then talent.
It’s clear we have better athletes than Central Michigan. But maybe the “disease” Manny speaks of is rooted deep in these kids heads.
What did he do to eradicate this thought process? Whatever that is we need to do. Because squeaking past Central Michigan won’t get the program back to competing for NC. Weak mindset I guess is a problem at The U.

It starts with the HC. That's what Urban didn't say.

You have to identify the "disease" during the recruiting process - Miami has been in this position for 15 years now beause they focus recruiting in South Florida, but eventually they have to recognize they haven't cherry picked SF in a long, long time, and may be getting the leftovers.

That goes for most other places they recruit too. Why, because a 4-5 star who has a chance to go to Bama, Georgia, LSU, OSU, or a half dozen other schools that have a shot at the final four, are going. Until Miami wins consistently, this generation of athletes will head for the competitive programs that give them the best chance at being noticed.

And this is huge - Miami hasn't had much success in anything above average in O-line play. Art Keho was great in his day, when we were winning and he could get players. I had hoped Richt would being some Georgia LA, or SC O-Linemen in because So FL isn't exactly a hot bed for that position, and the big corn-fed kids ain't coming to play in this heat, no matter how pretty the girls are. I'm from SW Fl, but played in the Mid West - don't kid yourself, there were some **** fine women out there too.
Most guys will go with the flow when they get inside the program, so its less about recruiting a certain type of guy, and more about who you are paying money to, the guy in charge sets the culture not the newest freshman class.

Culture, fan favorite word when they don't know ****. Coaches talk that dumb **** too and you guys eat it up. Cracks me up. Some of the most ****sure people I played with weren't good enough at times. They wanted to win, gave it their all, but were a weak link. We have a lot of weak links, but maybe I should say unproven links. Nothing smacks one in the face more than adversity through reality. How you handle it from there determines what future outcomes will be. Well, provided you're talented enough and talent, regardless of what the know nothings think here is a big problem right now.

Advertisement
Yes, there is a major culture problem. It’s the biggest problem. These kids think they are good enough to win based on talent alone. They have no idea what it takes to be a great team that wins consistently. They’re selfish, entitled, and lazy.
Ding, ding, ding..

this is why I said last night there is a major problem in the Miami program..

We have been a mentally soft team for 15 +years now.

Advertisement
Most guys will go with the flow when they get inside the program, so its less about recruiting a certain type of guy, and more about who you are paying money to, the guy in charge sets the culture not the newest freshman class.

Well this isn't the guy in charge's recruits, not all of them anyway - but trust me you put 80 guys in a program and you're going to find some bad pennies, that's a fact. I saw it when I played, and you only need listen to ESPN over the course of a season. There are an abundance of kids who've been coddled to from Pee wee through college. When someone quits on a team like last year, you got a problem, with the portal now, it makes it easier.

My point is a new coach comes into the culture the previous coach created. Dabo did, Saban did, Butch did. Sometimes it takes a while to fix - that Manny said it in public shows its an issue. I thought that was a little unsual for a HC to do. But then you see us get a rare penalty against our opponent at a critical time to put us in a position to win at the goalline, and it rears its ugly head - that's when the disease shows. Those 4 or 5 in the end zone near the end of the game Sat, were caused more by frustration, not effort. A lot of Discipline issues ar eon the type players, and some is on the coaching staff.

And this is huge - Miami hasn't had much success in anything above average in O-line play. Art Keho was great in his day, when we were winning and he could get players. I had hoped Richt would bring some Georgia LA, or SC O-Linemen in because So FL isn't exactly a hot bed for that position, and the big corn-fed kids ain't coming to play in this heat, no matter how pretty the girls are. I'm from SW Fl, but played in the Mid West - don't kid yourself, there were some **** fine women out there too.

You just hope this O-line grows and gets better and next year will be truly ready to compete.
I very much agree this is a problem. You can take a lot of SFla recruits but they all must be “cherry picked” they talk of Miami guys, but why not recruit football guys who happen to be in Miami. But don’t take your eyes off of Georgia, Alabama, Texas, California, Ohio and find kids who are tough as nails and not some of these divas looking for followers and ****.
Saban comes to SFla to take his playmakers same with OSU Clemson LSU
They better buy into the program so they straighten up. We need that **** back. That IS Miami FB

Usc is in the

USC changed their traditional offense and hired a young, up-and-coming OC in Graham Harell. Their 3rd string QB passed for nearly 400 yards and 3 TDs to beat #10 Utah this past Friday.

A ‘magic scheme’ won’t put The U in the CFP, but running an offense in spite of your weaknesses gets you a 17-12 home win over a lower-tier MAC team that lost 61-0 to Wisconsin a few weeks earlier.

Yes, there is a major culture problem. It’s the biggest problem. These kids think they are good enough to win based on talent alone. They have no idea what it takes to be a great team that wins consistently. They’re selfish, entitled, and lazy.
And they play down to competition.
That falls squarely on the coaching. Getting hyped and dancing on the sidelines against CMU is pure Trash!

Advertisement
Back