MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Advertisement
I'm tired of the irrational attacks on Shalala.

What were our options? HONESTLY?

The Big East was garbage, particularly on the money side. The ACC money was fantastic, and we have not "never won the conference" because of the refs. Plus, we've won the conference in basketball and baseball, so it's obvious that we have a FOOTBALL problem, not an "ACC" or an "ACC refs" problem.

The SEC was not going to take UM in the 2000s. The Big 10 was not going to take UM in the 2000s. And I have been predicting the demise of the Big 12 since the 2000s, because their business model (overreliance on Texas) was insane.

So please stop with "the treasure troll sold us to the ACC for big money" stuff. It was the best possible move at the time. SERIOUSLY, what were our alternatives? I'm really curious here.

Spot on. We’ll get some hate for joining the SEC when we have down years. You can already see it coming.

464A7B9E-AC01-4E69-B3EB-6C376EFADD7A.gif

Been saying it for at least 6 years..Miami needs to find a way out of the ACC
If the status quo had held, the bad news is it woulda been a lot easier to reach the CFB Playoff out of the ACC than it would be from the SEC or Big 10. In other words, Mario's job just got a lot harder. The good news is he seems more than up for that level of challenge.

I wouldn’t put anything past them but there’s no debate really as we know we need to get out of the ACC and the SEC is likely where we end up so there’s no choice. We just have to hope that it’s better for us there than Tobacco Road was and we will be able to function as we need to for our success.
Seriously could it be any worse?

Advertisement
If the status quo had held, the bad news is it woulda been a lot easier to reach the CFB Playoff out of the ACC than it would be from the SEC or Big 10. In other words, Mario's job just got a lot harder. The good news is he seems more than up for that level of challenge.

The CFP will look much different in the coming years than it does now. IMO if the SEC gets to 20 teams, or more, they may drop all involvement in the CFP altogether and just play in an SEC only league. You win the SEC? You're the national champion. I don't care what the other 110 FBS teams do, knock yourselves out. We're rich over here.

The CFP will look much different in the coming years than it does now. IMO if the SEC gets to 20 teams, or more, they may drop all involvement in the CFP altogether and just play in an SEC only league. You win the SEC? You're the national champion. I don't care what the other 110 FBS teams do, knock yourselves out. We're rich over here.
Sounds like going back to split Nat'l Champions with the AP and UPI each crowning their own. If there are only 2 Super leagues, you might think they'd play a Super Bowl type final game.

Hip checks for all. Skate through the neutral zone with your head down at your own peril.
Haha. Exactly! I mean this is just from his Pittsburgh years.

I actually would like to find out what materialized with him as the Canes coach but there is limited current info out there on our team.

He's apparently been down here for a while working in real estate. One of my boy's knows his oldest daughter so we may have to try to get both of them to a tailgate this year. Start running visiting fans and people in the Blue Lot.

Advertisement
Disagree I think what you’ll see here is a shrinking of division one and both super conferences will play each other in the playoffs.

This is theoretical, but we don’t need to collapse the league by actually leaving, we just need to create instability by announcing that we are.
I don't think this is a situation where we can play chicken. We have to have a landing spot in place (even if it's not announced) in case the ACC calls our bluff.
That instability will inevitably result in other schools jumping ship as well, which moves us closer to 1) Getting out of the GR entirely by the conference collapsing (unlikely, IMO) or 2) having multiple other schools who leave and are thus willing and able to negotiate down the GR as a bloc (much more feasible).
If one of the original tobacco road mafia were to make a similar announcement (preferably UNC), the ACC will implode under its own weight. It all depends how serious UNC is in developing their football program. They have to also be seeing the changing landscape.
We announce that we’re leaving and the conference will implode, albeit over the next year or two.

To the original question, once the ACC is dissolved or greatly diminished in negotiating power, we either pay a lesser fee or none at all. Once the conference is defunct, who would we pay?

I recognize that everything I just said was delivered in the coldest, most clinical terms possible. I reiterate that I hate all of this, but nonetheless that’s the path forward.

Last edited:
Take what UF Andy and his Gayturd sauces say with a grain of salt. This UNC narrative they've ALL glommed onto is quite comical as well. Yes, UNC is definitely an attractive school overall but these clowns are essentially putting it just a notch below Notre Dame in these discussions.

When Feldman corroborates any of this "reportage" at The Athletic then pay attention. All I've heard him say is Miami is an attractive school/market to both conferences but the main thing right now (and for all ACC schools) is killing the GoR.

I do agree with you, but UNC is one of the few schools (with ND, Miami, and UVa) that could easily fit in EITHER conference, so that makes them more flexible/powerful.

UNC can become a second-tier kingmaker. UM and Clemson have paired up, and I think UNC is the next most attractice ACC target. So if UNC buddies up with UVa or VaTech or F$U or NC State (assuming they want to go SEC), I think UNC's partner becomes the 4th SEC take.

I think the SEC wants to go with an NC-VA combo platter, so primary focus should go there. And I don't think that enough people realize how duplicative it is to have UF and F$U in the same conference. I'm NOT saying "don't take F$U" I'd love for the Big 3 to be in the SEC together, but F$U really doesn't bring anything unique or special to the SEC table that UF doesn't already provide to the SEC. Just simple facts.

Advertisement
Disagree I think what you’ll see here is a shrinking of division one and both super conferences will play each other in the playoffs.

That could happen too. I'm not saying that I'm planting my flag on the SEC only side of things. I'm just saying, I heard multiple times that this plan was in the works in the past couple months. This was before the B1G decided to go balls to the wall too, though. So maybe that opens the SEC's eyes some to playing ball with someone else. But it wouldn't shock me at all if the SEC eventually got to 24 teams and just played their own sport.

Advertisement
Anyone see what Lake said? He was pretty plugged during the Mario hiring process.

It was a lengthy (no jokes here) summation of all the things we have been saying on this thread. UM is on it. Status quo is not good enough. Won't be cheap. GOR sucks. Gotta spend money to make money. Yada yada yada.

Who would have thought that THEORIGINALCANE was capable of summing up a long-*** post so succinctly...

While I agree that the B1G is the right fit, there's something else to consider. All of the B1G schools, with the exception of Nebraska, are part of this academic association - the AAU (https://www.aau.edu/who-we-are/our-members) - and Nebraska was a member when they were admitted. USC and UCLA are both currently members. Academic "prestige" seems to be a big deal for this conference.
Then we start the process to apply for membership. It's something you can give the non-athletically inclined Board of Trustee members that they can crow about at their next ****tail party.

It was a lengthy (no jokes here) summation of all the things we have been saying on this thread. UM is on it. Status quo is not good enough. Won't be cheap. GOR sucks. Gotta spend money to make money. Yada yada yada.

Who would have thought that THEORIGINALCANE was capable of summing up a long-*** post so succinctly...
not me

Advertisement
Back