MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

I'd much rather go to the B1G - geography has zero meaning with these conference shake ups and those match ups are far more appealing.

If we're tied at the hip with Clemson though we'll be going to the SEC, which is a crying shame. The B1G having a Florida team would be huge for them - they'd be coast to coast.
I wonder just how much it'll impact recruiting for the BIG if the entire state of Florida's Big 3 are in the SEC. Kids in the south are already rooting to play in the SEC. Probably much less poaching from Ohio St, I'd imagine.

Advertisement
I posted an Oregon article in one of the other four posts that Phil Knight prefers B1G or SEC

Found it

You are either in the B1G or the SEC or you are done. That's the new world order. There will be a $75M a year difference per team between them and the Big 12 whatever that ends up being. The Big 12 will literally be comprised of the bottom half dregs of various conferences that weren't invited to the big boy table. Literally every school in America would "prefer the B1G or SEC."

I know. That’s most likely our best bargaining chip with the SEC. I’m sorry I’m going to have to disagree with geography having zero meaning. This move is mostly about football, but not all of it. There’s other sports that makes all that traveling a nightmare. In addition, you’re abandoning your recruiting base as those parents and fans are not able to more easily travel to games. As I mentioned earlier people need to stop with the fit cultural bull****.
I was on the B1G bandwagon but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense to join the SEC from a whole department standpoint. Miami doesn’t wrestle or play hockey at the level the B1G does, baseball by in large is an after thought in that conference. Football and basketball it may make sense but the grand scheme it doesn’t make a ton of sense.

Advertisement
I wonder just how much it'll impact recruiting for the BIG if the entire state of Florida's Big 3 are in the SEC. Kids in the south are already rooting to play in the SEC. Probably much less poaching from Ohio St, I'd imagine.
I'm thinking media market rather than recruiting - OSU will come down and get theirs regardless.

They already have LA.

From an administrative standpoint absolutely...

But from a players & coaches perspective, that kind of travel would be absolutely brutal on you & would give you a huge disadvantage in Road games.

Traveling that far for one OOC game is feasible, but having to do it for 6 games a year is really rough.

Well, USC and UCLA sure jumped at the chance. Like I just posted, you are either in the B1G or the SEC or you're done. Everything just changed. New World Order. There is no decision to be made. You sell your soul to get into one of those two conferences even if you have to walk to your road games.

Advertisement
I'm thinking media market rather than recruiting - OSU will come down and get theirs regardless.

They already have LA.
Totally understand that - I guess I'm just thinking of the culture of kids growing up. We're already seeing so many kids want to play in the SEC because it's the best football conference - especially in the South. LA is now Big 10 country. After conference re-alignment, there will be two alpha dogs and the rest; I get the sense that with all the money involved, local coaches will be heavily influenced to keep their kids close in the South and be more inclined to send them to SEC schools. Maybe they get a few like always, but it'll be more difficult.

Advertisement
On your last point though John Ruiz has been very out there about wanting to build Miami a stadium of their own I have yet to hear him say that he’s going to build it and give it completely over to Miami so that they can own all the revenue. So unless he is doing it as a donor with others on board versus a builder Miami still wouldn’t get all of the revenue from a move to “” their own stadium
Ruiz said he would build a stadium .... not donate the stadium .... and HE would run it using it to generate revenue by holding High School state championship games, concerts etc. Maybe the rent would be less than Hard Rock and the concession split more favorable ... but it won't be owned by UM.

Advertisement
Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma would be in the same boat as there not the original set of members. This is an arms race against the B1G. Why would handcuff one of their biggest markets teams?
Did you not see how the ACC continually handcuffed us to protect their native sons despite us being a big draw? The SEC is more concerned with Bama, Georgia, Tennessee, etc. being successful than miami. Once we are in, they have the TV markets, and the contract is negotiated, where exactly are we going if we don’t like the rules or how they are applied?

From an administrative standpoint absolutely...

But from a players & coaches perspective, that kind of travel would be absolutely brutal on you & would give you a huge disadvantage in Road games.

Traveling that far for one OOC game is feasible, but having to do it for 6 games a year is really rough.
Yes, but works in their favor when teams travel to Eugene or Seattle or Los Angeles…

Advertisement
Back