MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Advertisement
You guys would be good with Miami having a big disadvantage playing these cold weather, heavy snow area teams in the Big10?

I know we also get an advantage when they come to us.. but not sure I’m a big fan of the potential to the Big10.
More games would get played in hot temps than cold and snow. Truly run the risk of two games a season being being below 40. And that is dependent upon when Miami home games would be

You guys would be good with Miami having a big disadvantage playing these cold weather, heavy snow area teams in the Big10?

I know we also get an advantage when they come to us.. but not sure I’m a big fan of the potential to the Big10.

huh.png

SWAIM SHOW
@GSwaim

#CardNation,#Pitt, #VT and #NCState the four we continue to hear will be available for the #Big12 after the #SEC and #B1G are done poaching #FSU, #Clemson, #UNC, #UVa, #TheU. Sure #WVU would be thrilled renewing those old rivalries and cutting down on their frequent flier miles!!

3:17 PM · May 17, 2023 from Oklahoma, USA
·
As I said before, all of this makes so much sense...which is why I worry it won't happen 🤣

He's also added Pitt in there, which makes it 9 teams now. That means you have BC, Syracuse, GT, Duke, and Wake needing to find homes quickly if any of this is accurate.

@TheOriginalCane @Ispyin

Timing is the giant unknown for a move to occur. I feel like something gets hammered out in the next 12 months, or if not, it gets pushed to 3-4 years later

And this is to announce realignment, not actually begin play in the new conferences… thoughts?

I'd say this...2023-24 is set in stone for scheduling and broadcasting.

2024-25 would be problematic (because the mechanism being used is dissolution of the conference), because I find it hard to believe that the Big 10 and SEC would be fully ready to digest more teams within 12 months.

Here's what a lot of people have a hard time figuring out, because we just don't see it as clearly - this will have massive SCHEDULING ramifications. As just one example, what about our OOC games with Florida? What happens if we join the SEC? Or what happens if we join the Big 10 and then both the Big 10 and SEC decide to have 10 conference games per year?

And the non-P5 OOC games will get hammered. Going to be a lot of cancellations and contract payoffs.

I would imagine 2024-25 might be an uneasy "we're the ACC, but the ACC doesn't exist anymore" year. But think about it from the Big 10/SEC standpoint. They'd have to redo how they schedule THEIR games, as I would imagine that a pod scheduling system would become the norm.

On the positive side, we kinda/sorta already went through a mini firedrill in the COVID year of how you reschedule on the fly...but EVERYONE was doing it, and everyone understood why all the OOC games got cancelled.

What will happen next---****'s gonna get crazy...

No matter what...the ACC will be here for 2023-24. Beyond that, who knows.

Advertisement
So is there any hard evidence the BIG wants to add Miami? Based on everything I’ve read outside here, the most intriguing program other than Notre Dame is UNC. Someone mentioned earlier, UNC is the only program who’s received an offer from the BIG and perhaps even the SEC. Not sure about FSU or Clemson. I’d think the SEC would accept both without issue.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this. I would have preferred they worked behind the scenes like UCLA & USC with their move to B1G. I guess with 7-8 schools, be tougher to keep it quiet though.

The difference between the two scenarios is The PAC-12 contract was coming up in a couple of yrs, so it was strategically done. Unfortunately, this GoR is not up for another 13 yrs. Some of us don’t have 13 yrs left in us! They have to create this noise b/c we’ll be lapped twice by every conference by the time we get our 1st renewal!

So is there any hard evidence the BIG wants to add Miami? Based on everything I’ve read outside here, the most intriguing program other than Notre Dame is UNC. Someone mentioned earlier, UNC is the only program who’s received an offer from the BIG and perhaps even the SEC. Not sure about FSU or Clemson. I’d think the SEC would accept both without issue.

Yes, there are binders full of hard evidence that have been prepared and stored in Mar-a-Lago. We are really trying to preserve the record so that any future litigants can sue the **** out of us with the hard evidence that we give them...

Going to be an issue regardless. Next year for example, we are slated to play in Boston against BC on Black Friday in November. I can promise you, it's going to be REAL cold by then.

Advertisement

2024-25 would be problematic (because the mechanism being used is dissolution of the conference), because I find it hard to believe that the Big 10 and SEC would be fully ready to digest more teams within 12 months.

Here's what a lot of people have a hard time figuring out, because we just don't see it as clearly - this will have massive SCHEDULING ramifications. As just one example, what about our OOC games with Florida? What happens if we join the SEC? Or what happens if we join the Big 10 and then both the Big 10 and SEC decide to have 10 conference games per year?

And the non-P5 OOC games will get hammered. Going to be a lot of cancellations and contract payoffs.

I would imagine 2024-25 might be an uneasy "we're the ACC, but the ACC doesn't exist anymore" year. But think about it from the Big 10/SEC standpoint. They'd have to redo how they schedule THEIR games, as I would imagine that a pod scheduling system would become the norm.

On the positive side, we kinda/sorta already went through a mini firedrill in the COVID year of how you reschedule on the fly...but EVERYONE was doing it, and everyone understood why all the OOC games got cancelled.

Yeah, I know logistics and scheduling would be a giant shake up

I was meaning that my guess would be terms to join big ten get announced within 12ish months from now, and at the EARLIEST fall 2025 would Miami actually be playing games

Otherwise, everything would be on a 3yr timeline, so whenever Miami to big ten gets announced, move the start day back 3yrs for when they start playing football games

With our future schedule it’s pretty easy for us if we end up in the Big10 and FSU ends up in SEC. If that happens the only thing I’m concerned about is the Miami vs FSU/Uf rivalry.

But like if we are in B10, and FSU is in SEC, UFs yearly OOC game gets dropped. So I don’t think it would do anything to our game in 24/25. …except maybe make it possible that it happens more often. But like even South Carolina and Auburn 2026-2030 really would still be possible. And the lower OOC games won’t be too big of a pay to drop.

Really the ONLY thing I’d be concerned about in realignment is assuring we keep FSU rivalry. If we could do FSU and UF yearly while in the B10 schedule (especially if ND joined)…that would be insane.

Advertisement
As I said before, all of this makes so much sense...which is why I worry it won't happen 🤣

He's also added Pitt in there, which makes it 9 teams now. That means you have BC, Syracuse, GT, Duke, and Wake needing to find homes quickly if any of this is accurate.
If the B1G makes the first move and tries to expand its footprint in growing southern states (NC, VA, GA, FL), then they're likely to go after UNC and UVA first. The problem is the SEC also wants to be in those two states (NC and VA) sincet those are the only two southern states they don't have a foothold in yet. For this reason, I could see them going after Va Tech and NC State, leaving the Big 12 to take the likes of Pitt, Louisville, maybe Syracuse, and Duke.

Yeah, I know logistics and scheduling would be a giant shake up

I was meaning that my guess would be terms to join big ten get announced within 12ish months from now, and at the EARLIEST fall 2025 would Miami actually be playing games

Otherwise, everything would be on a 3yr timeline, so whenever Miami to big ten gets announced, move the start day back 3yrs for when they start playing football games

And this is pure speculation, but if I was betting money, I'd think that the SEC might like to tie things to 2025, when Texas/Oklahoma join, so that you don't just have one weird year.

The Big 10 takes USC/UCLA in 2024 though, and I find it hard to believe that everything could switcharoo in the next 15 months.

With our future schedule it’s pretty easy for us if we end up in the Big10 and FSU ends up in SEC. If that happens the only thing I’m concerned about is the Miami vs FSU/Uf rivalry.

But like if we are in B10, and FSU is in SEC, UFs yearly OOC game gets dropped. So I don’t think it would do anything to our game in 24/25. …except maybe make it possible that it happens more often. But like even South Carolina and Auburn 2026-2030 really would still be possible. And the lower OOC games won’t be too big of a pay to drop.

Really the ONLY thing I’d be concerned about in realignment is assuring we keep FSU rivalry. If we could do FSU and UF yearly while in the B10 schedule (especially if ND joined)…that would be insane.

While I agree with everything you are saying...

YOU KNOW that The Gaytor would look for any excuse to drop those games. They've done it multiple times over the past 35 years.

Advertisement

Why are you so concerned?

So your goal is to play a Big10 schedule with our OOC being FSU and UF?

Snow for Big Ten games is rare. Heavy snow almost never happens, except for maybe Minnesota.

Advertisement
Back