Clive Walford

Advertisement
He is playing well. I've defended Morris on his play vs UF but he missed Walford a few times. Some were on 3rd and 15+ were we could have picked up 10 and played the field possession game. He gets open a lot IMO.

Remember that our last really good offenses with Fancy Boy Dorsey used the TE extensively. When you have weapons like the big Brit Clive and Sandland you have to use them. Opens up the whole offense.

Remember Dorsey had shockey and Winslow
Two of the QBs best friends
Haven't seen this collection of TEs being comparable
Even still, using them more just gives the defenses more fits and allows Morris another option other than fly patters, posts and incomplete short and intermediate throws

We have a couple of great weapons at TE. Remember they don't have to be NFL Hall of Famers to be very productive at this level.

Great weapons is hyperbole
Winslow and shockey were GREAT just ask FSU and WVU
I have yet to see any of these guys change a game like kellen and Jeremy did

Again, I agree with the premise that this group is under employed in the gameplay
And with Morris continuing o struggle with consistency, they could be a nice way to improve his confidence and give future Ds one more thing to prepare for

Advertisement
Most underrated player on the team. He's a huge mismatch and he we are severely underusing him.

And the moment I have no faith in Coley's play-calling/game-planning.

Coley is calling plays that are getting Walford and others open, Morris just isn't getting them the ball.

This! I think Golden mentioned that 14/15 of Walford's catches have gone for either a first down or touchdown. This implies he is really open.

Likely, they'll need to get Morris to do more checkdowns. He's made his mind up where he's throwing when they break the huddle.

Likely, they'll need to get Morris to do more checkdowns. He's made his mind up where he's throwing when they break the huddle.

Agree, and when he shows he's willing to check down defenses will have to account for the flats which should open up the deep ball.

Advertisement
Yup such a mismatch for a safety or lagging LB to cover. We need to test the middle of the field with BIG BODIES!!
We need to start using the TE's in the middle of the field more as well. We have Sandland and Warlord who can press the seam routes and open things up underneath.

Advertisement
Walford's did a great job blocking against UF. He's our clear #1 TE and it's not close. Cleveland got blown up by Fowler, and missed on a couple other assignments that led to no gains. Hard to criticize him against NFL level competition, but it's something to watch. I didn't like the two-TE sets we ran with Cleveland in there at all. With two TEs, I think we succeed much more with Sandland in as the receiving TE and have Walford in to block but sneak out in the flats as needed. And when CW is out there on his own, hit him in stride over the middle.

Advertisement
I stated last year we needed to use him more. A lot of the times he touched the ball last year, it was either a 1st down or TD. I wonder what his stats were last year. Anyone willing to look it up? I have no idea where to look...

Walford is a proven commodity.

Sandland has done nothing. Cleveland is a good blocker I guess. Would actually like to see Stan Dobard get in the mix.

Sandland probably hasn't done anything because he transferred to Montana State in September. Yeaaaahh….

Also, Clive Walford wide open in the middle of the field last year…if only I had a dollar for every time Morris didn't see that.

Walford is a proven commodity.

Sandland has done nothing. Cleveland is a good blocker I guess. Would actually like to see Stan Dobard get in the mix.

Sandland probably hasn't done anything because he transferred to Montana State in September. Yeaaaahh….

Also, Clive Walford wide open in the middle of the field last year…if only I had a dollar for every time Morris didn't see that.

I'm an idiot, this is from last year. WHOOPS, what year is it??????

Advertisement
Back