Off-Topic CIS Musicians - come share your exploits, dreams, conquests and gear...

So I'm a guitarist, from a kind-of musical family. I learned to play drums/keys/guitar (mostly self-taught) by the time I was a mid-teen. It's been the only hobby in my life that has been mostly constant and never seriously waned. I don't make a living at it, but it does pay for itself - and I'd much rather be playing guitar for a living than what I do.... but enough about me.

Lets celebrate the musicians of CIS... in whatever way you feel like it.

I'll start...
Today was a NGD (new guitar day) for me... a seafoam LP-special styled guitar. I'm trying to work it into my cover-band gig.

20230308_154104.jpg

@ben
Suhr & @ben

Recently spent this weekend (sick as a dog) watching some YouTube videos with my 16 year old daughter introducing her to 80s/90s bands to include Gun’s N Roses (November Rain, Sweet Child of Mine, etc).

She was blown away by Slash and his guitar prowess. I personally feel he’s one of the best.

I am no Music junkie. Am I a bad father for expressing to her that Slash, Dave Grohl, Jimi, The Edge, Kirk Hammett and Santana are in Mt. Rushmore of guitarist? (I know it should only be 4).

Thoughts based on your musical backgrounds?

Advertisement
Suhr & @ben

Recently spent this weekend (sick as a dog) watching some YouTube videos with my 16 year old daughter introducing her to 80s/90s bands to include Gun’s N Roses (November Rain, Sweet Child of Mine, etc).

She was blown away by Slash and his guitar prowess. I personally feel he’s one of the best.

I am no Music junkie. Am I a bad father for expressing to her that Slash, Dave Grohl, Jimi, The Edge, Kirk Hammett and Santana are in Mt. Rushmore of guitarist? (I know it should only be 4).

Have her listen to the master Jimmy Page of Led Zepplin. Just happens to be my all time favorite band.

Suhr & @ben

Not at all! 60s/70s/80s/90s were the heyday of guitarists! Imo.

Those guys might not make my Mt Rushmore, but they wrote some of the most iconic tunes ever, and I like them just the same.

Suhr & @ben

Terrible list, moron!

Jk I actually love all the musicians you named. Slash to me epitomizes Les Paul + Marshall sound. Hammett is outstanding and a one-time satriani student. The edge redefined how echo and delay can make the guitar sound.

Santana to me is underrated both as an overall guitarist and for his influence on gear. He was one of the first artists to play PRS guitars, dumble amps and mesa boogie amps. That’s quite an eye and ear for instruments.

As for personal Mt Rushmore, hard not to include Hendrix and Van Halen. The other two spots for me would go to some combination of Dimebag, Vai and SRV

Advertisement
Advertisement
Suhr & @ben

Nah bro! Not a bad dad at all! All of those cats are legit world class guitarists. But I think if there’s a Mr. Rushmore of axe men id have to go with.

Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Page
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Eddie Van Halen

There are so many legendary guitaris that’s it’s literally impossible to not group in 25 guys in the greatest ever category. I absolutely love catching a live show that features a legendary guitarist.

Off the top of my head. Some of the best guitarist that I’ve seen are in no particular order.

Joe Satriani and Steve Vai are other worldly.
Alex Lifeson is unreal.
Angus Young is a complete bad ***.

I’ve got to see Slash play live twice. Dudes a total beast. Especially now, I saw GnR play back in 87 and he was a bad *** back then. I saw them again during the not in this lifetime tour, and he literally carried the band for over 2 hours while relentlessly shredding the entire time. I was blown away!

I saw **** Dale play live in a small venue not long before he died and walked away from that show in awe!!

Same thing with Buddy Guy! Saw him at a small venue as well and left thinking , he’s got to be one of the greatest guitarist of all time. Dude was in his 80’s and he was playing the guitar like he was a teenager. One of the best shows I’ve ever seen. If you ever get the chance to see Buddy Guy play live, make sure you get to that show! You won’t regret it!

I’m definitely due for a live show!

Advertisement
Back