2024 CB Jamari Howard

We basically have 3 cbs committed currently i dont know how we are screwed?.

Im in favor of landing 1 more guy at cb wheter its Robinson and im good with Lucas from AH too.
How many of our 3 CBs committed will play for Miami at a position of need in the next 2 years? How many are impact players at the high school level? We are making this **** too hard and creating stupid excuses along the way.

Advertisement
We basically have 3 cbs committed currently i dont know how we are screwed?.

Im in favor of landing 1 more guy at cb wheter its Robinson and im good with Lucas from AH too.
You think Frederique and Mack both belong as your top corners?

You can maybe convince me that one of them could be a take as a project behind two other guys, but that's just how I personally see it. Hopefuly I'm very wrong.

At this rate, we're literally going to have to grab four DB's from the portal. And that's not realistic lol.

How many of our 3 CBs committed will play for Miami at a position of need in the next 2 years? How many are impact players at the high school level? We are making this **** too hard and creating stupid excuses along the way.
this kid isnt an impact player.

2 of our cb commits play on the same team which is a powerhouse team...im not down on either of them.

I realize alot of yall go off recruiting rankings and hype and dont really look at whats going on...its part of the reason alot of yall had Darryl Porter for dead when the whole off szn i stated he likely is our best cb str8 up.

Develop the kids you get...iw ant one more beastly corner in the group to push the room but it isnt exactly a dire straits thing at the cb position.

The 2 5th year guys are currently taking reps from the younger guys we havent seen and performing solidly in Couch and Davis (and i wasnt/aint a huge fan of either or) but i'd say they are earning there time. Next year will have to coach up the younger guys.

I want Robinson to flip because talent wise he will push right away for pt hes just that good.

But would you be mad if we maybe flipped Xavier Lucas?.

You can maybe convince me that one of them could be a take as a project behind two other guys, but that's just how I personally see it. Hopefuly I'm very wrong.

At this rate, we're literally going to have to grab four DB's from the portal. And that's not realistic lol.
Until we win at a consistent level (2 seasons is a start), we will have to nail HS evals, develop our tails off, and get more portal evals right than wrong. I have no reason to believe (thus far) that Mario & Co. cannot do that.

We are likely 2 years way from serious CFP contenders (talking Final 4 level squad) so as long as we can grab a couple top 100 level kids, get a few more top 101-250 level kids and get more of our 3 star evals right than wrong and develop, we will be okay.

That team in Tallahassee is killing it in HS recruiting and that’s due to winning last year and winning this year. They do not have to go to the CFP this year and they will still get their fair share of elite talent. Kids just want to see Ws and know it’s going in the right direction.

For us and them, it is simple…..You win first down here (FL), then your recruiting gets a massive shot in the arm, and then shortly after a Natty will follow. It is really that simple

Advertisement

2 of our cb commits play on the same team which is a powerhouse team...im not down on either of them.

I realize alot of yall go off recruiting rankings and hype and dont really look at whats going on...its part of the reason alot of yall had Darryl Porter for dead when the whole off szn i stated he likely is our best cb str8 up.

Develop the kids you get...iw ant one more beastly corner in the group to push the room but it isnt exactly a dire straits thing at the cb position.

The 2 5th year guys are currently taking reps from the younger guys we havent seen and performing solidly in Couch and Davis (and i wasnt/aint a huge fan of either or) but i'd say they are earning there time. Next year will have to coach up the younger guys.

I want Robinson to flip because talent wise he will push right away for pt hes just that good.

Amen…At least Im not the only one saying it, although I have referred to your opinion (without saying your name) and others on this kid.

Prop Joe has stripes…And I'm not saying Howard is bad, but again…for the 900th time...he's transferred how many times (never played a down at Central) and look at his other finalist? I'm not sure he was ever that high on our board? Either because of our evaluation of him or not wanting to play Tunsil games or both! Him and Mgahee, Jr. both nice players but are clearly the ones way out of wack in the rankings.

Last edited:
Sounds like we like Lucas from AH more than this kid

Don't tell star whores this...

I believe Lucas is the backup plan for Ellis Robinson as third corner in this class…And it's that simple (of course maybe McCoy who could end up at corner as well) If not maybe we circle back around on a Kevin Levy, Watkins from Vanguard, etc...

I like Tarver from Date as well, but staff didn't seem that interested there.

I'm not pro or anti Howard. I'd honestly lump him in the same category of guys we already have. I don't share your optimism for the CB rooms current trajectory. We lost the 2021 class and overall its a slow group with not a lot of youth. Davis is not performing well. I would feel nothing if we flipped Lucas. He's on par with the rest of the class. This is a g5 secondary and Miami doesn't exactly have a reputation for developing skill players anymore.

They wont be top corners and likely would shirt just like some of our cb takes this year are.

Next year you likely have :

Darryl Porter Jr.
Davonte Brown
Damari Brown
Robert Stafford
Jadais Richard
Demetrius Freeney

to go along with the recruits from this cycle.

Im not opposed to a portal cb either and i dont think they would be considering we were trying to land a juco cb in this class.

The elder Brown needs to step up and get right from this point on...because that determines the portal route we take imo.

Im just not as down on Mack and Frederique as others i dont see world beaters either early on from them...Robinson would be a huge get...Jamari Howard doesnt make or break a room ...unless your just a gator and r

Advertisement
I'm not pro or anti Howard. I'd honestly lump him in the same category of guys we already have. I don't share your optimism for the CB rooms current trajectory. We lost the 2021 class and overall its a slow group with not a lot of youth. Davis is not performing well. I would feel nothing if we flipped Lucas. He's on par with the rest of the class. This is a g5 secondary and Miami doesn't exactly have a reputation for developing skill players anymore.
SEE POST LIKE THIS I COULD GET JIGGY WITH BECAUSE IT SOUNDS LOGICAL.

I 100 percent agree we dont have alot of burners in the secondary still.

They aint taking Davis out for whatever reason and i know u see me in the gameday thread lol. Brown came in and got handsy. But to me its a confidence thing with him, but you cant gain confidence on the bench imo,

Couch ive been airing out for about 3 szns now. Crazy enough ..dude has been a good blitzer lol...and solid to good tackler. Has the worst ball skills of all dbs as well. lol But id say he has been solid performing...blew the ga tech game b4 kam stole the show of blowing it the next play. lol

None of the 3 kids u l;isted would be g5 though ...Mack, Frederique would be committed to power 5 schools and Lucas is currently a Wisky commit.

Whats your thoughts of Lucas and a portal potential starter at cb to close out the room?.

They aint taking Davis out for whatever reason and i know u see me in the gameday thread lol. Brown came in and got handsy. But to me its a confidence thing with him, but you cant gain confidence on the bench imo,

Couch ive been airing out for about 3 szns now. Crazy enough ..dude has been a good blitzer lol...and solid to good tackler. Has the worst ball skills of all dbs as well. lol But id say he has been solid performing...blew the ga tech game b4 kam stole the show of blowing it the next play. lol

None of the 3 kids u l;isted would be g5 though ...Mack, Frederique would be committed to power 5 schools and Lucas is currently a Wisky commit.

Whats your thoughts of Lucas and a portal potential starter at cb to close out the room?.
Mack and Fredrique would serve better as complimentary pieces to the class opposed to headliners. We are attempting to build out recruiting classes that require developing with coaches that haven’t developed. Scary planning imo.
We grabbed Brown, Richard, Davis, Porter and I wont let guys forget about Terry Roberts out of the portal I. I have 0 confidence we all of a sudden do well in that area. Overall the planning around corner and DT seems to be aim for the stars and settle for guys that can hopefully come in and play down the road. Biggest problem is who plays until those guys are ready? Yes Brown's confidence is shot. He panics anytime the ball goes in his direction. I could see us losing 3-4 corners this year. Maybe 5 if we have ****ed off the Brown family.

Screenshot_20231023_115220_Samsung Internet.jpg

@gogeta4 my issue with Lucas. I want my CB1 running sub 4.5.

He's better than any cornerback we currently have committed....

FSU I'd guess. They're pushing for a top 5 class.

Eh, lots would disagree with you and as pedestrian as our current DB may look, Howard is not at that level. He's hugely overrated and not really that good.,

Advertisement

Ya I need to see a Brown brother on the field soon…I honestly don't get it. Are they not "practice players" possibly? Agree 1000% on the confidence things. Put him in 2 plays and take him back out because of a P.I.?

Overall Couch has made his normal bad mistakes, but imo is having an above average year... More good than bad, but yes the bad is still there and always will be with him. If he would be playing outside more he'd be exposed (like he was 2nd to last play of WVU game)

Davis is a pit bull, but if you are going to play him outside, he just isn't good enough.

Last edited:
They wont be top corners and likely would shirt just like some of our cb takes this year are.

Next year you likely have :

Darryl Porter Jr.
Davonte Brown
Damari Brown
Robert Stafford
Jadais Richard
Demetrius Freeney

to go along with the recruits from this cycle.

Im not opposed to a portal cb either and i dont think they would be considering we were trying to land a juco cb in this class.

The elder Brown needs to step up and get right from this point on...because that determines the portal route we take imo.

Im just not as down on Mack and Frederique as others i dont see world beaters either early on from them...Robinson would be a huge get...Jamari Howard doesnt make or break a room ...unless your just a gator and r
My understanding is Mario has a vision in team make up, from a character and talent/growth potential stand point.

If I am not confusing this kid with someone else, I thought there were some red flags from a character perspective with this kid that has come up since the spring and whatever talent he has isn’t worth the squeeze, but I could be talking out of my *** and confusing him with someone else.

No………

Go Team Fox GIF by New Girl

Last edited:
Mack and Fredrique would serve better as complimentary pieces to the class opposed to headliners. We are attempting to build out recruiting classes that require developing with coaches that haven’t developed. Scary planning imo.

Where does the "Addae can't develop" stuff come from?

Has had players drafted at his last few stops (AZ and WVU if we don't want to include the year at a powerhouse GA)…And 2020, his 2nd year with WVU the defense and the secondary performance was very good (#1 ypg, top 10 yards per pass, 12/11 ratio, top 25 in opposing QBR), and one of the kids he brought with him from WV and GA and coached the first 3 years is still starting there today and projected to be a 3rd to 5th round NFL pick last I've seen.

I mean is it Corey Raymond track record…God no. But this "he can't develop players" is a fairy tale.

Advertisement

What's too hard? That they may not be Ellis Robinson or Pat Surtain, Jr.??

OK then I'll lament with you…I agree.

But the staff took commits from these kids in Spring, and appear to love them? Guidry, Addae, Highsmith, CMC…I don't mind trusting their eyes. I'll admit we need more.

I watched that STA/Bosco game…Mack was an animal out there. Looked excellent.

What's too hard? That they may not be Ellis Robinson or Pat Surtain, Jr.??

OK then I'll lament with you…I agree.

But the staff took commits from these kids in Spring, and appear to love them? Guidry, Addae, Highsmith, CMC…I don't mind trusting their eyes. I'll admit we need more.

I watched that STA/Bosco game…Mack was an animal out there. Looked excellent.
Imma be honest the staff loving a player equates to less than nothing.

Imma be honest the staff loving a player equates to less than nothing.

Fair enough then…Agree to disagree, I think we are in very good hands in that aspect right now. I've seen more kids than ever since CMC got on get an early UM offer or interest and then blow up. We shall see, I'll agree the jury is not entirely out and they aren't infallible quite yet.

Advertisement
Back